Will China be the first country to return to the moon?

• Thread starter donglepuss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    China Moon
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of China returning to the Moon and the challenges they may face. It also brings up the topic of manned space stations and the potential benefits of focusing on those instead. Ultimately, it is unlikely that China will be the first country to return to the Moon.
donglepuss
I think so. What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess you talking about people? It is possible. Hard to predict for sure.

I believe on paper NASA is supposed to get there sooner. It is really a question on whether it is a priority for China.

scottdave said:
I guess you talking about people? It is possible. Hard to predict for sure.
Yes, I’m talking about a manned flight.

The only country that can _return_ to the Moon is USA.

• Haha
Likes wukunlin, russ_watters, Astronuc and 5 others
Borek said:
Reminds me of this:
Lewis Carroll said:

“Mad Hatter: Would you like a little more tea?
Alice: Well, I haven't had any yet, so I can't very well take more.
March Hare: Ah, you mean you can't very well take less.
Mad Hatter: Yes. You can always take more than nothing.”

Likes scottdave and PeroK
Borek said:
How is it that you were the only person to notice this? I've been dropping the ball...

I disagree.
"We came in peace for all mankind"covers any return.

Likes hmmm27, gmax137 and Tom.G
hutchphd said:
I disagree.
"We came in peace for all mankind"covers any return.
That's only because there weren't any Moon creatures to overcome, exterminate or enslave!

Likes hutchphd
donglepuss said:
Will China be the first country to return to the moon?
Unlikely. They are working on a different focus: manned space stations, and to be honest, I think that's a more promising direction on the long run than landing on a hostile, dusty, useless planetoid.
To aim for the Moon would take ~ a decade for them.

Likes russ_watters

1. Will China be the first country to return to the moon?

It is currently uncertain whether China will be the first country to return to the moon. While China has made significant progress in its space program and has plans to send a crewed mission to the moon in the future, other countries such as the United States and Russia also have plans for lunar exploration.

2. What is China's current progress in returning to the moon?

China has successfully landed two robotic missions on the moon, Chang'e 3 in 2013 and Chang'e 4 in 2019. These missions have collected valuable data and samples from the lunar surface. China also has plans for a crewed mission to the moon in the 2030s.

3. What are the potential benefits of China returning to the moon?

Returning to the moon could bring many potential benefits for China, including advancements in technology, scientific research, and resource utilization. It could also enhance China's global standing and national pride.

4. How does China's moon exploration compare to other countries?

China's moon exploration efforts are relatively new compared to other countries such as the United States and Russia, which have a longer history of lunar exploration. However, China has made significant progress in a short amount of time and has shown a strong commitment to its space program.

5. Are there any potential challenges for China in returning to the moon?

There are several potential challenges that China may face in returning to the moon, such as technical difficulties, funding limitations, and competition from other countries. Additionally, there are ethical considerations surrounding the use of resources on the moon and the potential for conflicts with other nations.