Will I be able to get into top schools with my stats?

In summary, this highly ranked liberal arts school has a physics and math major with a 3.9 GPA and an 800 GRE score. The student has all A's and one A- in math and physics and also scored a 610 verbal on the GRE. The student has researched for a year with a professor and then did an REU this summer. The student is applying to schools with a strong math and physics background. The most important recommendation for this student is from a research adviser. The student has many opportunities to improve their chances at a top-ranked school.
xbomber88
I'm majoring in Physics and minoring in Math at a highly ranked liberal arts school (top 25). I have a 3.9 overall GPA and I'm not sure what my math and Physics GPA is but its higher than 3.9. I have all A's and one A- in math and Physics. I got an 800 on the quantitative section of the GRE and 610 verbal. I haven't taken the Physics GRE yet but I spent a decent amount of time studying for it this summer and took a timed practice test a few days ago and got a 910. Also I haven't taken quantum mechanics yet but I'm taking it in the fall so I think after taking that I might be able to raise my Physics GRE a little. As far as research goes I spent a year doing research with a professor at my school including a summer and then I did an REU this summer. However, I didn't have a great REU experience so I'm a little bit worried that my REU advisor might not write me a great recommendation.

Is this good enough to get me into schools like Harvard, Stanford, and Berkeley? Also do you think that Texas and Washington would be okay as safety schools for me or should I aim a little lower?

Physics news on Phys.org
From my experience, your qualifications should give you a good chance to get into a top-ranked school. I think Washington and Texas should be good safety schools and you shouldn't need to aim lower. This is just my opinion. Anyone else?

I forgot to add - the recommendations will be very important. Do whatever you can to get some good ones.

I feel fairly confident that the professor I've worked for at my school will write me a good recommendation but I'm not so sure about my REU advisor. How bad will one recommendation that's not so great hurt me if the other two are really good?

I had similar stats but lower PGRE and a lot more research experience and publications. And I didn't get into any of the top schools, despite glowing recommendation letters from professors at ivies, national labs, and my school. From what I've heard from people on the admissions committee at my current university, recommendations from research advisers are the most important. I think you need a few more safeties, because despite what all my advisers thought about my chances, I only got into the safeties. But I'm still getting a PhD and got a great postdoc offer, so it's not the end of the world. It's not always the school you go to, it's what you accomplish there.

Remember, there are a huge number of students who made use of every summer and will have great letters of recommendation who are competing with you. Plus, unfortunately, most students are also in this frame of mind that its either Stanford, MIT, Berkeley, or bust. So don't think of it as a "good chance" because there are simply so many students applying for so few positions. It's hard to even tell students with perfect GPA's and perfect PGRE's and 4 years of summer REU's that their chances are "good" because of how random admissions can be at the very top few universities.

Of course, look around the forums and you'll see many people present sound arguments that should convince you that your future prospects are going to depend mainly on what you do with your time, not what school name ends up on your degree.

Related to Will I be able to get into top schools with my stats?

1. Can my grades alone get me into a top school?

No, top schools consider a variety of factors in their admissions process, including extracurricular activities, essays, and letters of recommendation. While grades are important, they are not the only factor that determines admission.

2. How important are standardized test scores in getting into a top school?

Standardized test scores, such as the SAT or ACT, are often a key component in the admissions process for top schools. However, they are not the only factor and do not guarantee admission. Admissions committees also consider other factors, such as essays and extracurricular activities.

3. Are extracurricular activities essential for getting into a top school?

While extracurricular activities can strengthen your application, they are not essential for getting into a top school. Admissions committees are looking for well-rounded students, so having a few meaningful extracurricular activities can help showcase your interests and passions.

4. How much do letters of recommendation matter in the admissions process for top schools?

Letters of recommendation can be an important factor in the admissions process for top schools. They provide insight into your character, work ethic, and potential for success in college. It is important to choose recommenders who know you well and can speak to your strengths.

5. How much does the reputation of my high school affect my chances of getting into a top school?

While attending a prestigious high school may provide some advantages in the admissions process, it is not the sole determining factor. Admissions committees consider each applicant individually and look for a strong academic record, regardless of the high school attended. Focus on excelling in your own academic and extracurricular pursuits rather than worrying about the reputation of your high school.