Will interstellar travel become more possible in future

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential for human colonization of other planets and solar systems. It is estimated that it may never be possible to colonize other solar systems due to the limitations of interstellar travel. However, technology has advanced rapidly in the past 50 years, particularly in transportation, with the possibility of supersonic flights returning in the near future. The conversation also mentions the importance of public interest and investment in fields such as space exploration, which has been exemplified by individuals like Elon Musk. Overall, progress in technology is affected by various factors, including consumer demand and financial resources.
Steven Hansel
Let's say we already colonized some of the planets and moons in our solar system. Mars,Moon, Europa and etc. Planets like Mars and other has less gravity than earth, so the resource needed for space travel in our solar system will reduce by a lot if we launch spaceships there. Say, that we already can do asteroid minings by 2030. How long will it take for humans to colonize planets in other solar system?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Steven Hansel said:
Let's say we already colonized some of the planets and moons in our solar system. Mars,Moon, Europa and etc. Planets like Mars and other has less gravity than earth, so the resource needed for space travel in our solar system will reduce by a lot if we launch spaceships there. Say, that we already can do asteroid minings by 2030. How long will it take for humans to colonize planets in other solar system?
Based on your optimistic vision for colonization of other planets in our solar system, I optimistically estimate we will be able to colonize other solar systems in approximately never.

Likes phinds, PeroK and Steven Hansel
Even if we managed to utilize huge amounts of resources within the solar system, it doesn't make interstellar travel much more likely.
The speed of light is still what it is, and even at a substantial fraction of light speed collision with tiny bits of dust would be enough to cripple an imaginary ship.

Likes Steven Hansel
This solar system, yes. ( The Expanse, hooray)
Interstellar? Unlikely, but who knows? 100 years ago,you said to anyone robots would be on Mars and men have walked on the moon they would have laughed at you.

Times change, science with it.

Likes 1oldman2 and Steven Hansel
BL4CKB0X97 said:
This solar system, yes. ( The Expanse, hooray)
Interstellar? Unlikely, but who knows? 100 years ago,you said to anyone robots would be on Mars and men have walked on the moon they would have laughed at you.

Times change, science with it.
It's like moore law but applied in all of the technologies. I think we are growing exponentially, and i believe we will also grow even more faster in the future.

Likes BL4CKB0X97
Steven Hansel said:
It's like moore law but applied in all of the technologies. I think we are growing exponentially, and i believe we will also grow even more faster in the future.
Very true. I feel we have pushed the ball to the top of the hill over the last century , we just need to push the ball down the other side.

Steven Hansel said:
How has transportation technology progressed in the past 50 years? Automobiles, trains, aircraft, spacecraft - justify the claim of exponential progression.

Remember that supersonic commercial air travel has come ... and gone!

Likes Steven Hansel
BL4CKB0X97 said:
I thought I slept well last night. I see I've woken up in 2023!

I remember being late for school to watch the launch of Concorde in 1976. If someone had said then that in 2017 it would still take close to 24 hours to fly to Australia you would have laughed at them.

I'm sure supersonic flights will return, but progress is neither exponential nor continuous in air travel. It's got cheaper in the past 40 years, that's the main difference.

Last edited:
Likes Steven Hansel
PeroK said:
How has transportation technology progressed in the past 50 years? Automobiles, trains, aircraft, spacecraft - justify the exponential progression.

Remember that supersonic commercial air travel has come ... and gone!
I guess that's true. external factors like, safety, budgets, and etc affect this progress in technology. But the important thing is that we are progressing faster than before. If we have a lot people like Elon Musk, We would progress much faster. Public interest in Space Exploration is quite low and i know there are a lot of people who are interested in space exploration but it's so expensive. So comes Elon Musk, investing all his money and taking risk in Space Exploration business. Now we can see, public interest in space exploration actually increases. So, there are many factors that affect our progress in technology. I would say interest and consumer really affects, example, Smartphone and Computers.

Steven Hansel said:
I guess that's true. external factors like, safety, budgets, and etc affect this progress in technology. But the important thing is that we are progressing faster than before. If we have a lot people like Elon Musk, We would progress much faster. Public interest in Space Exploration is quite low and i know there are a lot of people who are interested in space exploration but it's so expensive. So comes Elon Musk, investing all his money and taking risk in Space Exploration business. Now we can see, public interest in space exploration actually increases. So, there are many factors that affect our progress in technology. I would say interest and consumer really affects, example, Smartphone and Computers.
How much are you prepared to pay for:

a) a smartphone?

b) a one-way trip to Mars?

Branson is,talking about £2500 to fly from London to NYC, which is fair enough. It would be beyond my budget, but there are plenty who can afford that.

Flying into space costs millions and will remain for the super rich. There's no mass market for that.

Likes Steven Hansel
PeroK said:

a) a smartphone?

Branson is,talking about £2500 to fly from London to NYC, which is fair enough. It would be beyond my budget, but there are plenty who can afford that.

Flying into space costs millions and will remain for the super rich. There's no mass market for that.
It actually will, Elon musk invest his own money to actually improve his rockets. Falcon 9 now consistently bring satellites to space and also bring cargo to ISS. It increases the company's income. He also said that he will make travel to the Mars possible by turning down the cost to $200,000 - $300,000. It's still expensive but I'm sure that the price will gradually down over year. After proving, that SpaceX can actually transport peoples, cargos or etc to Mars. Government, Private companies, Universities will have huge interest towards SpaceX. I believe cost for space travel will come down. History is repeating itself, My family barely can afford ticket planes back then. Now, i can buy plane tickets for holiday no problem. The same as space travel, it's just starting out

Steven Hansel said:
The same as space travel

Is it? People have pointed out differences.

Likes CalcNerd
Steven Hansel said:
It actually will, Elon musk invest his own money to actually improve his rockets. Falcon 9 now consistently bring satellites to space and also bring cargo to ISS. It increases the company's income. He also said that he will make travel to the Mars possible by turning down the cost to $200,000 - $300,000. It's still expensive but I'm sure that the price will gradually down over year. After proving, that SpaceX can actually transport peoples, cargos or etc to Mars. Government, Private companies, Universities will have huge interest towards SpaceX. I believe cost for space travel will come down. History is repeating itself, My family barely can afford ticket planes back then. Now, i can buy plane tickets for holiday no problem. The same as space travel, it's just starting out

You didn't answer my question about how much you would pay Musk for a one way ticket to Mars.

It's a simple question. If you are convinced we will colonise Mars how much would you pay to relocate there?

Don't tell me lots of other people would do it. Tell me you would do it and how much you would pay to live there.

Tell me you would like to take your family there. That your children would be born or grow up on Mars.

But, the key question is still: How much would you pay to leave Earth behind, move to Mars and live out your days there?

PeroK said:

a) a smartphone?

"Mass" market maybe not, but there seems to be a pretty solid market for multi-million dollar yachts, mansions etc. There could indeed be a viable market for million dollar tickets to visit mars.

BenAS said:
"Mass" market maybe not, but there seems to be a pretty solid market for multi-million dollar yachts, mansions etc. There could indeed be a viable market for million dollar tickets to visit mars.

There might be. But they would seem even less likely to give up their mansions, yachts etc. and colonise Mars.

Note that the current average cost of space tourism is about $20 million dollars (to get to the ISS). I would think Mars would be $100 million plus (at least).

But, you know, regardless of the cost it's over a year round trip with a 1-10% chance of death. Note, by comparison, that about 5,000 people have climbed Everest (costs about $50,000+) and about 300 have died on the mountain. Although, at least with Everest you can simply turn round and be home in a week if you get sick or your nerve fails you.

Likes russ_watters
Steven Hansel said:
I guess that's true. external factors like, safety, budgets, and etc affect this progress in technology. But the important thing is that we are progressing faster than before.
No we aren't! It doesn't matter how many times you repeat this wish; it will not become true. Air/space transportation progressed rapidly for the first 50 or 60 years (not exponentially) and then utterly stopped progressing in terms of speed/capabilities. Almost all improvements in air travel in the past 40 years have been about efficiency/cost. Space travel has not improved at all since the introduction of the space shuttle.

Elon Musk *might* be able to improve the cost effectiveness, but I think he's blowing smoke in order to attract investors. But either way, he/NASA are not proposing a significant expansion of capabilities beyond what was generated 50 years ago.

If anything, what this shows us is that the challenges grow exponentially, which therefore limits the progress. Indeed, that's typical for an exponential curve and is now occurring for computers as well. Performance, storage, etc., improved exponentially for the first two-three decades of personal computing and then ground to a halt about 10 years ago. Now the advancements are small/incremental and extremely difficult to achieve -- very similar to air/space travel.

Likes PeroK
With regard to the OP's original question, I believe any interstellar travel will depend on our ability to travel at near-light speeds. I'm aware of the problems that we'd need to cope with like collisions with dust particles damaging the spaceship. Presumably some smart person will sort that out in the next 100 years.
At near-light speeds, thousands of years will have passed on Earth but the space colonists will reach their targets in just a few short years (time dilation).

It depends on what we become. I find the idea that we'll still be meat machines in 1,000 years absurd. If you transfer your consciousness into a radiation hardened, immortal machine, suddenly a trip that takes 1,000 years isn't all that long.

Likes nikkkom
newjerseyrunner said:
It depends on what we become. I find the idea that we'll still be meat machines in 1,000 years absurd. If you transfer your consciousness into a radiation hardened, immortal machine, suddenly a trip that takes 1,000 years isn't all that long.
At present we don't have even the slightest clue of if it's even possible to emulate human consciousness electronically, and how we would extract the sentience of a human being then reload it into a machine isn't even on an imaginary drawing board yet,
The best AI's we currently have are really just very fast number crunchers that excel at one task and are useless for anything else. Nothing has even remotely come close to passing the Turing test.
I think that converting from a consciousness which evolved over millions of years as a result of selective biochemistry, to a sentient 'black box' with no biochemistry at all might take rather more than 1000 years if it is even possible that is.

newjerseyrunner said:

And I find it extraordinary that you don't see the full dystopian horror of that scenario!

Steven Hansel said:

I guesstimate that we'd need a few centuries from today to send the first interstellar manned ship.

First, Solar system colonization.

It will require huge advances in such areas of technology as: closed life-support systems, space habitats, space-based industry, space-based food production. Right now, we are at best rudimentary in those.

Substantial progress will be needed in medicine (humans living in low- and zero-G, higher-radiation environment), power sources (say, fusion reactors?), engines (ion, fusion?).

Of course, all the other sciences would not stand still either, so expect computers to become faster, better (lighter/stronger/...) materials developed, etc. Observational astronomy will have much better data on the nearest stars and their planets. Perhaps even images of continents on them!

Solar system colonization can also result in many more people living (say, 200 billion humans by 2200?), thus having bigger economy.

With such scientific/industrial base, I imagine building of a ~0.1c ship would be possible. That is enough to reach nearest stars.

PeroK said:
And I find it extraordinary that you don't see the full dystopian horror of that scenario!

Are you afraid of, say, a person with a robotic prosthetic hand?

1. Will interstellar travel ever be possible?

There is no definitive answer to this question as it depends on several factors such as technological advancements, funding, and the laws of physics. However, it is believed that with continued research and development, interstellar travel may become possible in the distant future.

2. What are the biggest challenges in achieving interstellar travel?

One of the main challenges is developing a propulsion system that is powerful enough to reach speeds close to the speed of light. Another challenge is finding a way to protect astronauts from the harmful effects of cosmic radiation during the long journey.

3. How long would it take to travel to another star system?

Current estimates suggest that it would take tens of thousands of years to reach the nearest star system, Alpha Centauri, with our current technology. However, with advancements in propulsion systems, this time frame could potentially be reduced to a few decades.

4. What are some proposed methods for interstellar travel?

Some proposed methods include using solar sails, nuclear-powered engines, and antimatter engines. There is also ongoing research into the concept of warp drive, which would involve bending space-time to travel faster than the speed of light.

5. How would interstellar travel impact human society?

If interstellar travel becomes a reality, it would open up the possibility of exploring and potentially colonizing other planets and star systems. This could have major implications for human society, such as expanding our understanding of the universe and potentially providing a solution for overpopulation on Earth.