Windows Vista using more and more physical memory over time

In summary, the person is experiencing a problem with their computer where the svchost.exe processes become bloated and use a high amount of memory even when no applications are running. They have a 4 year old gaming PC with 4 gigs of RAM and a quad core processor. They also mention experiencing random BSODs and suspecting it may be due to malware hiding behind svchost. They suggest checking services and using a more advanced task manager tool, procexp, to troubleshoot the issue.
Jack21222
I'm having a weird problem with my computer. I used to be able to leave my computer on for extended periods of time, and it would run fine. Now, I find that if my computer is on for too long, my svchost.exe processes get incredibly bloated and end up using 70% of my physical memory even when no applications are running. When I start the computer fresh, it's back down to 35% (right now it's 39% with Firefox open).

Any idea what would cause this?

I have a 4 year old gaming PC. It was above average for it's time, but now it's starting to be challenged by today's games. I have 4 gigs of RAM and a quad core processor. The system should NOT be using so much memory with no applications running.

I guess restarting it isn't such a big deal. It's recently started giving me random BSODs shortly after start up, which is why I avoid doing it, but I'd estimate it only does that 10% of the time. Once it's been running for a while, it doesn't blue screen. It only ever blue screens within a few minutes of a restart for the times it does.

I'm not as concerned about that as I am about the svchost.exe process that starts at 130k ballooning to 400k of memory.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Still on VIsta? You have my sympathy.

svchost.exe is not actually doing anything much - it’s just a ‘holder’ process for actual running services. It sounds like you've picked up some malware which is hiding behind svchost. You should be able to debug it from the task manager... it should show you all the svchost processes (there should be more than one) with their stats. Examine the ones that look suspicious.

Aside:
insert obligatory Microsoft denigrating comments here.
insert obligatory gnu/linux promoting comments here.

Check your services: this is what the svchost.exe essentially is (i.e. a 'Services Host').

Go into your services menu from Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services and look at services are running. If you don't know what it does: don't touch it, but you will probably be able to spot a suspicious service in which you look at the description and look at what services depend on your service. If no services depend on the service, shut it off and observe what happens to the memory in task manager.

Download "procexp" (PROCess EXPlorer) from Microsoft via their Sysinternals site. (*)

It's a more full featured version of task manager for expert users. You'll need to read the guides for it (they make a lot of video ones) but you can drill right down through the system and find out exactly what the issue is.

(*) It was written by a guy who was later hired by Microsoft for his work in the community. I don't know if they bought sysinternals from him, or not. But the software can be considered "officially supported" by MS.

I would first suggest checking for any updates or patches for your Windows Vista operating system. It is possible that there may be a bug or issue that is causing the svchost.exe process to use excessive amounts of memory. Additionally, I would recommend running a virus scan to ensure that there are no malicious programs causing this issue.

If the issue persists, it may be worth looking into upgrading your hardware, particularly your RAM, to better support newer and more demanding applications. It is also possible that there may be a hardware issue causing the blue screens, so it may be beneficial to have a technician take a look at your computer.

In terms of the svchost.exe process specifically, it is a system process that manages multiple services in Windows. It is normal for it to use some memory, but it should not be using excessive amounts unless there is a specific issue causing it to do so. Further troubleshooting may be necessary to determine the root cause of this issue.

1. Why does my Windows Vista computer appear to be using more and more physical memory over time?

The most likely reason for this is that there are programs or processes running in the background that are using up memory. Over time, as more programs are opened and closed, the memory used by these processes can accumulate and cause the overall memory usage to increase.

2. Is this a sign of a problem with my computer?

In most cases, no. This is a normal behavior for computers, especially older ones with limited memory. As mentioned before, the increase in memory usage is usually due to background processes, and as long as your computer is still functioning properly, there is no need to be concerned.

3. Will this slow down my computer?

It is possible that the increase in memory usage can cause your computer to run slower, especially if you are using multiple programs at once. However, if you have enough memory available, the increase in memory usage should not have a significant impact on your computer's performance.

4. Can I stop this from happening?

There are a few steps you can take to prevent your computer from using more memory over time. You can try closing any unnecessary programs or processes, disabling or uninstalling any unused programs, and regularly clearing your computer's temporary files and cache.

5. Should I upgrade my computer's memory to prevent this from happening?

If you are experiencing significant slowdowns or performance issues due to high memory usage, upgrading your computer's memory can help. However, if your computer is functioning well and you are not using memory-intensive programs, upgrading may not be necessary.