Can I add more memory to my phone?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Memory
In summary: My apps use up 5.5Gb of that. System has reserved another 6Gb. The rest is cache and images etc.If your phone has 16Mb of storage in total, you need a new phone desperately.
pbuk said:
And it's answered more than once upthread: external storage can be used for pictures, video and music, but many apps cannot use it at all.
Exactly. Motore's solution isn't helpful.

anorlunda said:
But you can use external SD for images or music files. How much of your storage is tied up in those files?
Effectively none. I purge them all regularly to make room.

anorlunda said:
I have always wanted a "date last used" information for apps. If I haven't used an app for a year, the chances of wanting to use it in the future is slim.
I have that.

Gotta say, there's a metric buttload of baked-in stuff that I can't delete. I think that's what the "Zen" part of Zenphone is: all these ZenTalk and ZenCommunity nonsense things I never touch. That's what's fillning up the 6Gb of reserved memory. And I imagine it's the price I'm paying for a "simple" cheap phone.

Computer science news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
I imagine it's the price I'm paying for a "simple" cheap phone.
Sometimes you can't afford free.

Likes russ_watters and DaveC426913
I have no issues with making most of my apps, pics, documents and videos go to my sd card. An LG k51 has room for 2 gig micro sd card and it is or was 180.00

pbuk said:
I thought you wanted to decouple the purchase of a phone from your service provider?
Why on Earth would you want an iPhone? I'd spend a couple of hundred dollars on a Samsung Galaxy A- or M- series and look for the best SIM only deal you can get.

OMG I've just looked at the cost of data in Canada - that's ridiculous. In the UK you can get 160GB a month for GB£20 (thats US$25 or CA$32).
I think Apple bites too bc you cannot add additional memory AND it is too proprietary. The OS on the phone is way rudimentary as well.

DaveC426913 said:
Exactly. Motore's solution isn't helpful.Effectively none. I purge them all regularly to make room.I have that.

Gotta say, there's a metric buttload of baked-in stuff that I can't delete. I think that's what the "Zen" part of Zenphone is: all these ZenTalk and ZenCommunity nonsense things I never touch. That's what's fillning up the 6Gb of reserved memory. And I imagine it's the price I'm paying for a "simple" cheap phone.
Buyer beware ..and read the fine print. At least next time u buy a phone you will know what questions to ask. :)

grandbeauch said:
Buyer beware ..and read the fine print. At least next time u buy a phone you will know what questions to ask. :)
:mad: I did know what questions to ask. And I did get exactly what I wanted. I wanted a simple, cheap phone with as little nonsense on it as possible.

But that was four years ago, and my needs have changed. The pandemic has put pressure on my phone to serve as a nexus for all manner of checks and tests to get into restaurants and theatres, and do contact tracing and check-in at international customs, etc.

Those couple of things pushed it over the limit - and I suspect that phone-as-ID is not going to ease up as we go forward.

DaveC426913 said:
I did know what questions to ask. And I did get exactly what I wanted. I wanted a simple, cheap phone with as little nonsense on it as possible.

But that was four years ago,
Yeah, but another part of the modern world is that we are expected to get a new phone every 18 months.

anorlunda said:
Yeah, but another part of the modern world is that we are expected to get a new phone every 18 months.
Yes. I'm not complaining in that sense.

(I have several family members who are pathologically incapable of coping with a world of progress - nay, even a world of people. Compared to them, I abide like The Dude*).

But - as I must keep telling my wife - just because something is expected doesn't mean we're obliged.*
1652306594916.png

Likes anorlunda
pbuk said:
OMG I've just looked at the cost of data in Canada - that's ridiculous. In the UK you can get 160GB a month for GB£20 (thats US$25 or CA$32).
Yeah. It's onnacounta the polar bears. They keep knocking our cell towers down.

DaveC426913 said:
there's a metric buttload of baked-in stuff that I can't delete. I think that's what the "Zen" part of Zenphone is: all these ZenTalk and ZenCommunity nonsense things I never touch. That's what's fillning up the 6Gb of reserved memory.
That's what the custom rooms (with GApps: selectable amount of the so called 'comfort') are for.
Your phone, I think

Ps.: on second thought, your phone is so low with storage that a custom rom would mean only temporary relief and could not make much difference on the long run. So I still suggest to get a better phone.

Last edited:
anorlunda said:
That cycle is extending and the phone manufacturers have noticed, hence their commitments to providing three or four major O/S updates and security patches after purchase. In practice, that means you can safely plan for four years ownership before the lack of security patches should trigger a new phone. At that point, a degraded battery is likely, which also prompts a replacement decision because the phone will not last out the day.

Keeping the phone beyond the point where security patches are issued increases the risk of a cyber-breach, and is not recommended.

I think it's called xda forums or something like that, they give you indications on how to root your phone. I "saved" a completely unusable phone (with Android 4) by rooting it, and deleting the crap apps it had preinstalled. In the end the phone still had big troubles and was far off a smooth experience, but it was usable for web browsing, camera, etc.

This of course removes any warranty, and you may brick your phone. But if you're going to trash it anyways for a newer phone, I would suggest to give it a go.

Likes Tom.G