Wiring plug to 3phase fan motor.

• Thread starter moosey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wiring
moosey
Hellooo everyone and anyone I need help I've got the fan in the spraying oven died and I've got another outside.i need it so desperately and want to put a 3phase cord on it and a plug 3phase at the other end and plug it in and have it working just like that for today to finish these jobs. It's currently wired in star. Please anyone

Engineering news on Phys.org
I’d like to help, but I’m a bit stuck. Take a deep breath, marshal your facts, and formulate a question.

For example, where you are in the world, details of your 3ph supply, and the motor in question. What the current situation is, and how you need to change it. Is this about converting star to delta?

Likes russ_watters
Welcome to PF.

moosey said:
Hellooo everyone and anyone I need help I've got the fan in the spraying oven died and I've got another outside.i need it so desperately and want to put a 3phase cord on it and a plug 3phase at the other end and plug it in and have it working just like that for today to finish these jobs. It's currently wired in star. Please anyone
If you aren't qualified to do this, please do not do it. The risk of fire and shock is real, and you don't want to hurt anyone or burn the place down. Call a qualified electrician -- that is what they do. Thread is closed.

Likes russ_watters, dlgoff, DaveE and 1 other person

1. How do I identify the wiring configuration of a 3-phase fan motor?

To identify the wiring configuration of a 3-phase fan motor, you should first check the motor's nameplate, which typically provides essential information such as voltage, current, and whether the motor is configured for a delta or wye (star) connection. Additionally, use a multimeter to measure the resistance between the motor terminals. In a delta configuration, each pair of terminals will have continuity, while in a wye configuration, one common point will connect all terminals with equal resistance between each pair.

2. What safety precautions should I take when wiring a 3-phase fan motor?

Safety is paramount when dealing with electrical installations. Always ensure the power is turned off at the circuit breaker before beginning any work. Use insulated tools, wear appropriate personal protective equipment such as gloves and safety glasses, and verify the absence of voltage using a multimeter or a voltage tester. Additionally, ensure all connections are tight to prevent any electrical faults, and always follow local electrical codes and standards.

3. How do I connect the power supply wires to a 3-phase fan motor?

To connect the power supply wires to a 3-phase fan motor, first identify the terminals, typically marked as T1, T2, and T3. Connect the corresponding phases of your power supply to these terminals. It is crucial to ensure that the phases are correctly aligned to avoid any phase imbalance. Securely fasten all connections and, if necessary, use terminal connectors to ensure a reliable connection. Double-check the configuration (delta or wye) and connect accordingly.

4. What should I do if the motor does not start after being connected?

If the motor does not start, first ensure all connections are secure and correctly configured according to the motor's wiring diagram. Check the supply voltage with a multimeter to ensure it matches the motor's requirements. Inspect the motor for any signs of damage or overheating. If everything appears normal, consider checking the overload protection settings and ensure they are properly set according to the motor's specifications. If the issue persists, it may be necessary to consult with a professional or the motor manufacturer.

5. Can I change the rotation direction of a 3-phase fan motor?

Yes, the rotation direction of a 3-phase fan motor can generally be changed by swapping any two of the three power supply wires connected to the motor terminals. For instance, if the wires are connected as T1 to L1, T2 to L2, and T3 to L3, you can swap the connections of L1 and L2 (so T1 to L2 and T2 to L1) to reverse the motor's direction. Always ensure the power is off before changing connections and verify the correct rotation after re-energizing the motor.