Woodpeckers Tongue and Evolution

• Thread starter Debra53
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Evolution
In summary, the conversation involves a novice evolutionist seeking help in responding to objections about the evolution of woodpeckers' tongues from a host on a Christian website and talk radio show. The individual is looking for experts to provide reasonable answers to the questions raised and recommends a reliable website with references for further information.
Debra53
I'm a novice at science and I am quite ignorant about many scientific endeavors. I have become an evolutionist in the last 2 years but I frequent a Christian website that allows both christians and athiests to participate.

Anyway, my problem is the man who owns this website also has a call in talk radio program where he pretty much bullies and intimidates people who call in if the person disagrees with him about the existence of God and evolution.

One day a man named Andrew called into his program and asked the man about the woodpeckers tongue. This is what the host said and I need a little help in answering his objections before I call his show. Here's what he said:

1."How does the woodpeckers tongue evolve?"
2 "How does it aid and not hinder enough for extinction if the tongue is shoved down the bottom of the throat to the vertebrae?"
3. "How did that aid in survivability?"
4. "Or the tongue is stuck down by the neck vertebrae and how does that aid in survivability?"
5. "How does the tongue know to grow back around the skull in a groove that appears in the skull up over the top of the head and down to the eyes, down to the nostrils and out the mouth before it's finally going to help he wood peckers survivability?"

Those are the questions he asked the athesist and I have read a couple of articles about the woodpeckers tongue but was wondering if a few experts could help me give reasonable answers to this man when I call his talk show to challenge him about the woodpeckers tongue and evolution. Any help you can give me will be much appreciated.

Biology news on Phys.org

1. What is the purpose of a woodpecker's tongue?

A woodpecker's tongue is a highly specialized organ that is used to reach and extract insects from deep within trees. It is also used to help with balance and support during climbing and drumming behaviors.

2. How long is a woodpecker's tongue?

The length of a woodpecker's tongue varies depending on the species, but on average it can be anywhere from 2-3 inches long. Some species, like the Red-bellied Woodpecker, have tongues that can extend up to 4 inches!

3. How does a woodpecker's tongue help with evolution?

The unique tongue structure of woodpeckers has evolved over time to better suit their specialized diet and behaviors. Their long, barbed tongues allow them to reach deep into trees and extract insects, giving them a competitive advantage for survival.

4. Are there any other animals with similar tongues to woodpeckers?

Yes, there are some other animals that have evolved similar tongues to woodpeckers, such as the honeycreeper and the nectarivorous birds. However, woodpeckers are the only birds with a tongue that wraps around their skull and has a spear-like tip.

5. Can a woodpecker's tongue be harmed by repeatedly pecking at trees?

Woodpeckers have a specialized hyoid bone that acts as a shock absorber and protects their brain and tongue from the repeated pecking. Additionally, their tongues have adaptations such as thick layers of connective tissue and muscles that help prevent injury and aid in their feeding behaviors.