Word Game: Language-Related Clues and Lingustic Q&A

• Thread starter honestrosewater
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary, Word Game is an interactive game that utilizes language-related clues and linguistic questions to challenge players' knowledge and understanding of words and language. The game is designed to improve vocabulary and language skills through fun and engaging gameplay. In addition to the gameplay, players can also participate in linguistic Q&A sessions to further enhance their understanding of language and its nuances. With its unique blend of entertainment and education, Word Game is a great way to sharpen one's linguistic abilities.
turbo-1 said:
This is an old weapon with a name derived from a stinky French word.

Petard, an ancestor of the satchel charge. The engineer in Shakespeare who was "hoist with his own petard" was not raised gently; he was blown up. Petard means "fart" in French.

Physics news on Phys.org
Good job, selfAdjoint! I should have known that someone here would have been fascinated enough with that Hamlet quote to look it up. Give us your best.

A nice little detour for you word-hounds...Mel Brooks wrote (and took) the character "Governor Le Petomane" for the incomparable movie Blazing Saddles. You might want to Google "Le Petomane" to see why. The guy was out-drawing Europe's biggest stars in the late 19th/early 20th C.

selfAdjoint said:
Petard means "fart" in French.

Petard does not mean fart in modern french. "Pet" means fart. In french petard is define as a small explosive devise, a cigarettes, a joint and in very rare occasion your bum. Also, petard is a quebec slang term for a very good looking guy.

Last edited:
iansmith said:
Petard does not mean fart in modern french. "Pet" means fart. In french petard is define as a small explosive devise, a cigarettes, a joint and in very rare occasion your bum. Also, petard is a quebec slang term for a very good looking guy.
Thanks, iansmith. If I recall, at the time the word was grabbed by Shakespeare, "peter" meant to fart in French. As an infrequent visitor to PQ, I have never heard petard used to describe a really hot dude, but then again, I tend to hang with the bikers whose total command of English can be "smoke show!" (rear tire burn-off). :smile:

OK, here's an easy one. Two words, antonyms, differing only in the transposition of two letters.

We might need a hint. Also, do the transposed letters have to be contiguous, or can they come from different parts of the word, like garbed and barged?

The words should probably be classified as "almost" antonyms or "antonyms in some useages". The letters are contiguous.

One last hint. One of the words is a rather specialized one, but turns up often here at PF; the other is in common general use.

clueless! perhaps one more hint?

Since I am going away for the weekend this afternoon, I'll give it and turn the thread over to you turbo.

casual and causal.-

My word is a synonym for "fixed in place" and is also an antonym of that condition.

Last edited:
Restive, perhaps?

Sorry, no.

It's going to be hard to give hints to this one without giving it away, but the word is used to describe something that is really nailed down, and something that is speedy.

fast or fastened :biggrin:

Actually "really nailed down" got me to think of "fasteners" and then I realized fast was speedy.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
fast or fastened :biggrin:
Actually "really nailed down" got me to think of "fasteners" and then I realized fast was speedy.
Yet "fast" is the word. The phrase "hard and fast" is used to describe something that is immovable, but it could also describe a puck when you stop a slap shot with your head.

What's your word(s) Astronuc?

A noun which describes something on which things are placed, and the verb means to put things on it.

My recent post didn't seem to "take". Table?

"Table" is the word. You're up.

One word - it can mean easy or tighten.

Pinch?

Sorry
Sinch

No
Sorry

turbo-1 said:
No
Sorry
:confused:
I was positive that would be it.
Another clue maybe?

Perhaps instead of "easy" we can substitute "really easy" like a walkover.

I'm sorry SA - I didn't notice the misspelling and assumed that you reposted pinch. My bad. The word is "cinch", and the next word is yours.

Last edited:
I didn't realize it could be spelled with a 'C'...
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=cinch
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=sinch

I guess it's supposed to be the same word though it doesn't mention the other definition with the 'S' spelling. Odd.

Umm, let's see...
This word is beyond nature rather than over it like it's more commonly used synonym.

Last edited by a moderator:
preternatural?

durt said:
preternatural?
Yes.
Boy, did I make that too easy?

It's your turn now Durt if you'd like to give a hint for a word.

TSA, you may have to take this one...

Ok then.

Something done by poets, Loki, and even modern hip hop rappers. Specifically the older term.

Loki (the norse trickster god, right?) did a bit of cross-dressing once; so I'll go for that.

Quake, perhaps ?