Word problem two ships departing -- One north the other west....

In summary: Question:Two ships leave port at the same time. One travels north at 80 knots (that is, 80 nautical miles per hour), and the other west at 80 knots. The distance between the ships increases at a constant rate.At what rate is the distance between the two ships increasing?The Attempt at a Solution The distance traveled by the north bound ship = 80t [because distance traveled = speed x time taken] The distance traveled by the west bound ship = 80t Both leave port at the same time ... so they are making an ever increasing right triangle Let the distance between the boats at time t be d so d = √[(
Niaboc67
Question:
Two ships leave port at the same time. One travels north at 80 knots (that is, 80 nautical miles per hour), and the other west at 80 knots. The distance between the ships increases at a constant rate.

At what rate is the distance between the two ships increasing?

The Attempt at a Solution

The distance traveled by the north bound ship = 80t [because distance traveled = speed x time taken]

The distance traveled by the west bound ship = 80t

Both leave port at the same time ... so they are making an ever increasing right triangle

Let the distance between the boats at time t be d

so d = √[(80t)² + (80t)²]

d = √12800t²

so dd/dt = 80sqrt(2)

Why is this incorrect?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Niaboc67 said:
Question:
Two ships leave port at the same time. One travels north at 80 knots (that is, 80 nautical miles per hour), and the other west at 80 knots. The distance between the ships increases at a constant rate.

The distance traveled by the north bound ship = 80t [because distance traveled = speed x time taken]

Both leave port at the same time ... so they are making an ever increasing right triangle

d = √12800t²

so dd/dt = 80sqrt(2)

To minimize confusion, call the distance D, not d.
Edit: Incorrect response edited out...
BTW, questions about derivatives should be posted in the Calculus section. I have moved your post to that section.

Last edited:
Niaboc67 said:
Question:

d = √12800t²

so dd/dt = 80sqrt(2)

Why do you think it is incorrect?

The program I keep using says it is incorrect

Exactly what form does the program expect? (That is the problem with such formats- it is not enough to get the correct answer, you must enter it in the right way.)

However, here, if I were a teacher and a student were to enter "[itex]80\sqrt{2}[/itex]" as the answer, I would not mark it as completely correct. The correct answer is "[itex]80\sqrt{2}[/itex] knots" since it is a speed.

(And I disagree that it was necessary to post this in "Calculus". Since everything is linear here, it can be done as an algebra problem without taking the derivative.)

Niaboc67 said:
The program I keep using says it is incorrect

Well ##80 \sqrt{2}## is numerically correct, but perhaps the program you are using wants a decimal approximation ##80 \sqrt{2} \doteq 125.865007 \doteq 125.86 \doteq 125.9 \doteq 126##, depending on accuracy requested. And, of course, as HallsofIvy has indicated, you (may) need to supply units as well.

Wait a sec...
D = sqrt(12800)t^2
= sqrt(6400) * sqrt(2) * t^2
= 80 * sqrt(2) * t^2

dD/dt = 160 * sqrt(2) * t

Isn't it just an error with your arithmetic?

cheemaftw said:
Wait a sec...
D = sqrt(12800)t^2
= sqrt(6400) * sqrt(2) * t^2
= 80 * sqrt(2) * t^2

dD/dt = 160 * sqrt(2) * t

Isn't it just an error with your arithmetic?

No, he got it right: ##D = \sqrt{12800 \, t^2} = \sqrt{12800} \: t##.

oops didnt see the brackets my bad :S

I will see if my teacher can give me an extension on this assignment. Because this does not make any sense. The program I am using is called WebAssign and it is nortious for it's bad programming.

Related to Word problem two ships departing -- One north the other west....

1. How do you solve word problems involving two ships departing in different directions?

To solve these types of problems, you will need to use the concepts of distance, rate, and time. First, determine the distance each ship has traveled by multiplying its rate (speed) by the time it has been traveling. Then, use the Pythagorean Theorem to find the distance between the two ships. Finally, use the distance and rate to calculate the time it will take for the ships to meet.

2. What is the Pythagorean Theorem and how is it used in solving this problem?

The Pythagorean Theorem is a mathematical formula that states the square of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In this word problem, the two ships represent the sides of a right triangle, and the distance between them is the hypotenuse. By using this formula, we can find the distance between the ships.

3. Can this problem be solved without using the Pythagorean Theorem?

Yes, there are other methods for solving this problem without using the Pythagorean Theorem. One method is to draw a diagram and use the properties of similar triangles to find the distance between the ships. Another method is to use the concept of vectors and vector addition to find the distance and time it will take for the ships to meet.

4. What are the key steps to solving this type of word problem?

The key steps to solving this problem are: 1) identifying the information given about the ships (distance, rate, time), 2) setting up a diagram or equation to represent the problem, 3) solving for the distance between the ships using the Pythagorean Theorem or another method, and 4) using the distance and rate to calculate the time it will take for the ships to meet.

5. Can this problem be solved if the ships are traveling at different speeds?

Yes, this problem can still be solved if the ships are traveling at different speeds. The key is to use the concept of relative velocity, which states that the distance between two objects can be found by adding their individual velocities. This means that you will need to use the distance, rate, and time for each ship separately to find the total distance between them.