How Much Work is Done Raising a Load with a Two-Pulley System?

In summary, the problem involves a 60 kg load being raised by a two-pulley arrangement with a frictional force of 20 N in each pulley. The question asks for the work done by the force F to raise the load 3 m. After solving, the result is 2004 J, indicating that the solution is correct. However, PF is not a platform for providing a yes or no answer to the question of whether the solution is right or wrong.
mia_material_x1

Homework Statement

A 60 kg load is raised by a two-pulley arrangement. How much work is done by the
force F to raise the load 3 m if there is a frictional force of 20 N in each pulley? Note that the pulleys do
not rotate, but the rope slides across each surface.

I've solved the problem, I would like to know if my answer is right. Otherwise, could you please tell me where I did wrong. thanks guys!

Homework Equations

F=mg
W=F*d

The Attempt at a Solution

m = 60kg
F(friction) = 20N
d = 3m
F=mg∕2 + 2F(friction) = (60kg×9.8m/s²)/2 + 2×20N = 334N
W=F×2d= 334N ×2 × 3m = 2004 J

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Seems to be correct.

Likes mia_material_x1
And the question you want answered by PF is ?

Note that you can get an answer to "is this right?" by handing in your homework to Teacher !
And that it isn't PF culture to provide yes/no correct stamps, so you'll have to ask such things a bit more subtly...

Likes mia_material_x1

1. What is a pulley and how does it work?

A pulley is a simple machine consisting of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or belt that runs along the groove. It works by changing the direction of the force applied to an object, making it easier to lift or move the object.

2. What is the difference between fixed and movable pulleys?

A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object, while a movable pulley is attached to the object being lifted. Fixed pulleys only change the direction of the force, while movable pulleys also reduce the amount of force needed to lift an object.

3. How does the number of pulleys affect the force needed to lift an object?

The more pulleys used in a system, the less force is needed to lift an object. This is because each additional pulley reduces the amount of force needed by half.

4. What is the mechanical advantage of a pulley?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley is the ratio of the output force (force applied to lift an object) to the input force (force applied to the rope or belt). A single fixed pulley has a mechanical advantage of 1, while a movable pulley has a mechanical advantage of 2.

5. How does friction affect the efficiency of a pulley?

Friction in a pulley system can decrease its efficiency by causing energy to be lost as heat. Lubricating the pulley and using smooth, low-friction materials can help increase efficiency.