Work done by a uniform Ring of Charge (due tomorrow

In summary, the problem involves calculating the work required to move a tiny charged ball from very far away to the center of a fixed ring with a given diameter and charge. Two methods for solving the problem are suggested: one involves finding the electric field and then integrating to find the work, while the other involves finding the potential and using the change in potential energy to calculate the work.
Melo out

Homework Statement

A ring of diameter 7.90 cm is fixed in place and carries a charge of 5.20 μC uniformly spread over its circumference.
How much work does it take to move a tiny 3.40 μC charged ball of mass 1.50 g from very far away to the center of the ring?

Homework Equations

V=(KQ)/r^2
intergral of k(Qq)/r^2 *ds= work done
work done= - (change in potential energy)
work done= F dot delta S (otherwise known as displacement)

The Attempt at a Solution

First i realized that force=Eq and that the force felt would be changing due to how far away the charge was from the uniform circle. So i setup
intergral of K(Qq)/r^2*ds from r to infinity
i got -KQq/r as my indefinite intergral, which i thought was the electric potential.energy
(K(3.4*10^-6)*(5.2*10^-6))/0.079= 2.01= electric potential energy ( at infinity it would be 0).
Specific advice would be incredibly helpful

Physics news on Phys.org
Melo out said:

Homework Statement

A ring of diameter 7.90 cm is fixed in place and carries a charge of 5.20 μC uniformly spread over its circumference.
How much work does it take to move a tiny 3.40 μC charged ball of mass 1.50 g from very far away to the center of the ring?

Homework Equations

V=(KQ)/r^2
intergral of k(Qq)/r^2 *ds= work done
work done= - (change in potential energy)
work done= F dot delta S (otherwise known as displacement)

The Attempt at a Solution

First i realized that force=Eq and that the force felt would be changing due to how far away the charge was from the uniform circle. So i setup
intergral of K(Qq)/r^2*ds from r to infinity
i got -KQq/r as my indefinite intergral, which i thought was the electric potential.energy
(K(3.4*10^-6)*(5.2*10^-6))/0.079= 2.01= electric potential energy ( at infinity it would be 0).
Specific advice would be incredibly helpful
It's rather hard to tell what you did without more details. What expression did you use to relate r to s? Did you take into account which component of the field you needed?

you have a typo in relevant equations
V=kQ/r not(kQ/r^2)

yes the force on a charge q is Eq,but the E which you have taken is only due to a point charge not a charged ring!
there are two ways to approach this problem
1.find the electric field on the axis of the ring as a function of how far the test charge is away from the centre of the ring.
then integrate to find the work you have put into move the charge from infinity to the centre of the ring.

2.the second method is a bit more straightforward. find the potential as a function of how far the test charge is from the centre of the ring .
then finding the work done is easy.

What is the formula for calculating the work done by a uniform ring of charge?

The formula for calculating the work done by a uniform ring of charge is W = qV = qEd, where W is the work done, q is the charge, V is the potential, E is the electric field, and d is the distance.

How does the work done by a uniform ring of charge differ from that of a point charge?

The work done by a uniform ring of charge is different from that of a point charge because the ring has a finite size and therefore, the electric potential is not the same at all points on the ring. This means that the work done will vary depending on the position of the charge being moved.

What factors affect the work done by a uniform ring of charge?

The factors that affect the work done by a uniform ring of charge include the magnitude of the charge, the strength of the electric field, and the distance the charge is moved.

How can the work done by a uniform ring of charge be used to determine the electric potential?

The work done by a uniform ring of charge can be used to determine the electric potential by rearranging the formula W = qV = qEd to solve for V. This will give the potential at a specific point due to the ring of charge.

Why is it important to calculate the work done by a uniform ring of charge?

Calculating the work done by a uniform ring of charge is important because it helps us understand the relationship between electric potential and work done. It also allows us to determine the potential at a specific point due to the ring of charge, which is important in many practical applications such as in electrical circuits and in the study of electrostatics.