Work Energy and deflection Problem

In summary, this conversation discusses how to calculate the additional deflection of two springs when a 2 kg piece of putty is dropped onto an 18 kg block resting on the springs. The equations used include work, kinetic energy, potential energy, and spring energy, and the variables used are mass, velocity, height, and spring stiffness. The conversation also suggests troubleshooting by writing out short statements describing the energy changes and keeping track of variables to identify any mistakes.
Jonski

Homework Statement

The 2 kg piece of putty is dropped 2m onto the 18 kg block initially at rest on the two springs, each with a stiffness k =1.2kN/m . Calculate the additional deflection of the springs due to the impact of the putty, which adheres to the block upon contact.

Homework Equations

W = ΔKe + ΔEp +ΔEs

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by saying that there is no external force so W = 0.
Next I found the speed of the block just as the putty hits it.
v1 = putty velocity = v^2 = 2*9.8*2
v = 6.26m/s

P1 = P2
m1v1 = (m1+m2)v2
2*6.26 = (2+18)v2
v2 = 0.63m/s

ΔKe = 1/2m(Δv^2)
= 1/2 * 20 * (0 - 0.63^2) (max defl at v = 0)
=-3.92J

ΔEp = mgΔh
=20*9.8*δ
=196δ J

ΔEs = 1/2k(x^2 - x^2)*2
= 1200((0.0735+δ)^2-(0.0735)^)
=1200(0.147δ +δ^2)
=176.4δ+1200δ^2

0 = 1200δ^2+372.4δ-3.92
Using quadratic formula
δ=0.204m

Just want to know if this is right, as I don't think it is. Also would be great if you could tell me where I went wrong. Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To troubleshoot: at each stage, write a short statement describing the energy change, or other process, and keep the variables... do the algebra 1st then plug the numbers in.
i.e. step 1, putty ##m_1## falls distance ##h## exchanging gpe for ke... so ##v_1^2 = 2gh/m_1## ... gaining momentum ##p = \sqrt{2ghm_1}## ... which is conserved... kinetic energy is ##p^2/2m## ...

Take care to be consistent with variable names... ie k is already used for a single spring.
This should tell you if and ehere you have made a mistake.

1. What is the relationship between work, energy, and deflection in a problem?

In a work energy and deflection problem, the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy, which is also equal to the work done by the force of deflection. This means that if an external force is applied to an object causing it to deflect, the work done by that force is equal to the change in energy of the object.

2. How is the deflection of an object calculated in a work energy problem?

The deflection of an object is calculated by using the formula w = (1/2)kx^2, where w is the work done by the force of deflection, k is the spring constant, and x is the distance the object is deflected. This formula is derived from the work energy theorem and is used to determine the amount of deflection in a problem.

3. Can deflection be negative in a work energy problem?

Yes, deflection can be negative in a work energy problem. This occurs when the object is being compressed or pushed in the opposite direction of the applied force. In this case, the work done by the force of deflection will be negative, indicating that the object is gaining energy rather than losing it.

4. How does the mass of an object affect its deflection in a work energy problem?

The mass of an object does not directly affect its deflection in a work energy problem. However, it does affect the amount of work needed to cause the deflection. Heavier objects will require more work to be deflected compared to lighter objects, assuming all other factors such as spring constant and distance remain constant.

5. Can different types of forces cause deflection in a work energy problem?

Yes, different types of forces can cause deflection in a work energy problem. The force of deflection can be caused by various sources such as springs, elastic materials, and even magnetic fields. As long as the external force is able to cause a change in the object's energy, it can be considered a force of deflection in the problem.