Working Abroad for Electrical Engineering - What to Know?

In summary, the individual is a recent graduate with a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering from a university in Canada. They are interested in working abroad but are unsure of where they want to go. They have a specialization in Power and Energy, Devices, Circuits, and Sensors, with practical experience in microwave engineering. They are open to doing analog, power, or high frequency engineering and are considering opportunities with large multi-national firms that offer field engineering training. While there are plenty of opportunities for those willing to travel, it can be mentally and physically challenging.
sandy.bridge
Hello,

I graduated from an accredited University in Canada with a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering. I maintained Honours with Distinction for the duration of my academic career.

I am interested in working abroad, and branching from Canada. I am not sure where I want to go yet.

Are there specific countries that actually want Engineers from Canada?

I am very ignorant on the subject, but I do have an interest in it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of electrical engineering are you looking to do? Analog design? Digital design? Broadcast RF? Cellular? Power distribution? Telecommunications?

Each of these fields is different from country to country. Some are more sensitive about it than others...

As far as my academics were concerned, I specialized in Power and Energy, Devices, Circuits, and Sensors. I have practical experience in microwave engineering, but it was very niche in meta - DRA design.

I would be happy doing analog, power, or high frequency engineering. I am a recent graduate.

Many large multi-national firms are looking for people who can be trained as a field engineer. Firms such as Siemens, GE, ABB, Honeywell, Rockwell, Fluor, Bechtel, Alcatel, Lockheed and lots of others are always looking for anyone willing to live out of a suitcase.

If you don't know what you want to do yet, and you have few family commitments, talk to these firms and then get to know what they do in the field. There are plenty of opportunities for those willing to travel frequently. I can tell you that the traveling life is not for everyone. Many get into it for a few years and then get away from it. It can be hard on you mentally and physically.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will look into it!

Related to Working Abroad for Electrical Engineering - What to Know?

1. What are the benefits of working abroad as an electrical engineer?

Working abroad as an electrical engineer can offer a range of benefits, including exposure to different cultures and work practices, opportunities for career advancement and professional development, and potentially higher salaries and benefits. It also allows for the chance to work on global projects and gain valuable international experience.

2. What qualifications do I need to work abroad as an electrical engineer?

The specific qualifications needed to work abroad as an electrical engineer may vary depending on the country and employer. Generally, a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering or a related field is required, along with relevant work experience and possibly language proficiency. It is also important to research the specific requirements of the country you are interested in working in.

3. How can I find job opportunities abroad as an electrical engineer?

There are several ways to find job opportunities abroad as an electrical engineer. You can search for openings on job search engines and websites, network with professionals in your field, attend job fairs and recruitment events, or contact companies directly. It can also be helpful to utilize resources such as professional organizations, government agencies, and relocation services.

4. What should I consider before accepting a job offer abroad as an electrical engineer?

Before accepting a job offer abroad as an electrical engineer, it is important to thoroughly research the company and the country you will be working in. Consider factors such as the cost of living, cultural differences, visa and work permit requirements, and the potential for career growth and development. It is also crucial to carefully review and understand the terms of your employment contract.

5. How can I prepare for the challenges of working abroad as an electrical engineer?

Working abroad as an electrical engineer can present various challenges, such as language barriers, cultural differences, and adjusting to a new work environment. To prepare for these challenges, it can be helpful to learn about the culture and customs of the country you will be working in, practice the local language, and seek advice and support from other expats or professionals who have experience working abroad.