Working principle of the photodiode and photoresistor

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between the working principles of a photodiode and a photoresistor. The photoresistor changes its resistance under the influence of light, while the photodiode changes the current across itself. The photoresistor uses the principle of photoconductivity, but the principle used by the photodiode is not mentioned. The individual is still confused and looking for the specific name of the working principle of a photodiode. They mention searching on Google, but it doesn't provide a clear answer.
akzo
Hello everyone. I feel myself a little bit confused because I can't understand the difference between the working principle of the photodiode and the photoresistor. The photoresistor changes its resistance under the influence of light while photodiode changes the current across iself. Is this right? I also know that photoresistor use the principle called photoconductivity, but what principle is used by photodiode then? I guess there should be some difference, because why we are talking about resistance in one case and about current in another?

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi akzo! Does a google search lead you to finding out the basics of a photodiode?

Yes It did but I am still confused. I need to find the name of the working principle that lays in the basis of the photodiode, and I guess if I found the answer in google I wouldn't ask the question here.

akzo said:
Yes It did but I am still confused. I need to find the name of the working principle that lays in the basis of the photodiode, and I guess if I found the answer in google I wouldn't ask the question here.

how about typing in... How does a photodiode work ? into google
I got 100's of hits with various descriptions

1. What is the function of a photodiode?

A photodiode is a semiconductor device that converts light into electrical current. It is used in many electronic devices, including cameras, solar cells, and light sensors.

2. How does a photodiode work?

A photodiode works by using a p-n junction, which is created by joining a p-type semiconductor with an n-type semiconductor. When light strikes the p-n junction, photons are absorbed and create electron-hole pairs, which then generate an electric current.

3. What is the working principle of a photoresistor?

A photoresistor, also known as a light-dependent resistor, works by changing its resistance based on the amount of light that falls on its surface. When exposed to light, the resistance of the photoresistor decreases, and when in the dark, the resistance increases.

4. What are the main differences between a photodiode and a photoresistor?

The main difference between a photodiode and a photoresistor is that a photodiode produces a current in response to light, while a photoresistor changes its resistance. Additionally, photodiodes are typically more sensitive and have a faster response time compared to photoresistors.

5. What are the applications of photodiodes and photoresistors?

Photodiodes and photoresistors have various applications in electronic devices that require light sensing, such as automatic lighting systems, streetlights, and burglar alarms. They are also used in medical equipment, optical communication systems, and industrial automation.