Working With Non-traditional and New Professors

• Thread starter cytochrome
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Professors
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of doing research with a young, less traditional, and potentially less respected professor versus an older, more well-known professor for a PhD program. The participants also mention the importance of focusing on a specific field of study, such as fluid mechanics or semiconductor devices, when choosing a professor to work with. Ultimately, it is suggested to choose a professor who specializes in an area that interests the student the most.
cytochrome
Is it a waste of time to do research with a professor who is young, less traditional, and doesn't have as much respect in the field as the oldies? Do graduate schools favor research with more elderly and well-known professors? Should you do your PhD with the more elderly and traditional type?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Non-traditional? Engineering applications of QM has been going on almost since the establishment of QM in physics. I haven't even heard of the distinction you talked about. As long as they are original peer reviewed work, there shouldn't be problems with respect (assuming these academic staff are mature adults...).

A lot of these things are simply different fields. If you specialize in fluid mechanics you don't see so much QM related stuff, but if you do things like semiconductor devices, you run into it sooner or later.

So do you PhD with the professor that specialize in something that interests you in the most.

1. How do I approach a non-traditional or new professor for research opportunities?

It is important to do your research and familiarize yourself with the professor's background and areas of expertise. You can also reach out to current or former students who have worked with the professor to get an idea of their research style. When contacting the professor, be professional and specific about your interests and how you think you can contribute to their research.

2. What challenges may arise when working with a non-traditional or new professor?

Non-traditional and new professors may have different approaches to research and teaching compared to more experienced professors. This may require you to be adaptable and open to learning new methods. Additionally, they may not have an established research team or resources, so you may need to be more self-sufficient and proactive in seeking out opportunities.

3. How can I build a strong working relationship with a non-traditional or new professor?

Communication is key in building a strong working relationship with any professor. Be clear about your expectations and goals, and be open to feedback and suggestions. Showing initiative and being proactive in your work will also demonstrate your dedication and commitment to the research.

4. What should I do if I encounter conflicts or misunderstandings with a non-traditional or new professor?

It is important to address conflicts or misunderstandings in a professional and respectful manner. Schedule a meeting to discuss your concerns and listen to the professor's perspective as well. Be open to finding a compromise or solution that works for both of you.

5. How can I make the most out of my experience working with a non-traditional or new professor?

Take advantage of the unique perspective and expertise that a non-traditional or new professor can offer. Be willing to learn and adapt to new methods, and actively participate in discussions and research projects. This experience can also be a great opportunity to network and build connections with a professor who may become a valuable mentor or reference in the future.