Worldlines & Curves in Spacetime: Exploring Possibilities

In summary: Worldlines can also be defined for other curves, like the null curve, which is a curve that has no defined direction in space.
SaintRodriguez
Can there be worldlines that are neither timelike, nor null, nor spacelike? They can
Are there curves in spacetime that are neither timelike, nor null, nor spacelike? Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can there be integers that are neither zero, positive nor negative?

• Love
Likes vanhees71, Vanadium 50, vela and 1 other person
You can have curves that change character along their length - so are spacelike, null, and timelike at different events. But that's all - see the previous post for why (although note that tangent vector inner products with themselves can be any real number, not just integers).

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71 and malawi_glenn
SaintRodriguez said:
Can there be worldlines that are neither timelike, nor null, nor spacelike? They can
Are there curves in spacetime that are neither timelike, nor null, nor spacelike? Why?
It depends what you allow as a "curve". In real analysis, there is the Weierstrass function, which is continuous everywhere, but differentiable nowhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weierstrass_function

I suspect a mathematician could construct a continuous curve that was neither timelike, spacelike or null on any finite interval.

• Informative
Likes Sagittarius A-Star, dextercioby, Nugatory and 2 others
SaintRodriguez said:
Can there be worldlines that are neither timelike, nor null, nor spacelike?
Mathematically, one might be able to construct something like that (@PeroK describes an example).

Physically, no, we don't observe any actual realizations of curves that are neither timelike, nor null, nor spacelike.

Mark44 said:
Gaussian integers
The squared norm of a 4-vector in spacetime can't be a Gaussian integer. It can only be an ordinary real number.

PeterDonis said:
The squared norm of a 4-vector in spacetime can't be a Gaussian integer. It can only be an ordinary real number.
My comment was specifically a response to this statement, and nothing more:
malawi_glenn said:

Mark44 said:
My comment was specifically a response to this statement, and nothing more
But that statement was not made in a vacuum. It was made in response to the OP of this thread. In that context, it seems evident to me that the statement was intended as a reference to the fact about squared norms that I stated.

PeterDonis said:
But that statement was not made in a vacuum.
It was if he was talking about Minkowski spacetime!

(...I'll get my coat)

• Wow
Likes Nugatory and PeterDonis
SaintRodriguez said:
Can there be worldlines that are neither timelike, nor null, nor spacelike?

malawi_glenn said:

PeterDonis said:
But that statement was not made in a vacuum. It was made in response to the OP of this thread.
malawi_glenn's question seemed to me to be a rhetorical question about a scenario with presumably exactly three possibilities, but mathematically, there is one that wasn't listed.

I'm a very literal person...

Likes Motore and malawi_glenn
Mark44 said:
malawi_glenn's question seemed to me to be a rhetorical question about a scenario with presumably exactly three possibilities, but mathematically, there is one that wasn't listed.
The additional point necessary, then, is that the squared norms of tangent vectors to curves are always real. That excludes your case of Gaussian integers and leaves the three possibilities to which @malawi_glenn referred.

I must admit I wasn't aware of the term "Gaussian integer", so between that and the Weierstrass function it's been a learning day for me.

Ibix said:
That excludes your case of Gaussian integers and leaves the three possibilities to which @malawi_glenn referred.
I would buy this if malawi_glenn's post had included some context about 4D coordinates. However, it mentioned only integers, with no other context. My purpose was to enlighten readers that there are integers that are neither negative, zero, or positive. Nothing more.

Likes Motore
Mark44 said:
My purpose was to enlighten readers that there are integers that are neither negative, zero, or positive
I had no idea that Gaussian integers were elements of ##\mathbb{Z}##

Perhaps catfish are mammals too?

If you read your wiki article you can see for yourself that it is written "Gaussian integers share many properties with integers"
and one does therefore conclude that they are not integers.

Anyway, back to the topic.
The concept of wordline has no afaik universal definition. Some say it is a curve parametrized by the particles proper time, and such curves are either null, lightlike or timelike. However, some call all curves in Minkowski space for wordlines.

Last edited:
malawi_glenn said:
The concept of wordline has no afaik universal definition. Some say it is a curve parametrized by the particles proper time, and such curves are either null, lightlike or timelike.
Umm,... are you sure you don't want to edit that slightly? :oldsmile:
:oldwink:

Likes malawi_glenn
strangerep said:
Umm,... are you sure you don't want to edit that slightly? :oldsmile:
:oldwink:
Yes I will :) I have a fever now so I can't think or write proper :D

Ok here it is

Worldlines are sometimes restricted for curves that are time-like, those curves can be parametrized by the particles proper time.

Mark44 said:
I would buy this if malawi_glenn's post had included some context about 4D coordinates. However, it mentioned only integers, with no other context. My purpose was to enlighten readers that there are integers that are neither negative, zero, or positive. Nothing more.
It wasn't said explicitly, but it was understood, that he meant rational integers. Because this is what is meant by "integers" if there are no additional qualifiers such as "Gaussian".

Likes malawi_glenn
malawi_glenn said:
I had no idea that Gaussian integers were elements of ##\mathbb{Z}##

Perhaps catfish are mammals too?

If you read your wiki article you can see for yourself that it is written "Gaussian integers share many properties with integers"
and one does therefore conclude that they are not integers.
Back to off topic: they are integers in the sense of algebraic integers. Just like complex numbers are numbers although they are not a subset of ##\mathbb R##.

1. What is a worldline in spacetime?

A worldline in spacetime is a path that an object or particle takes through space and time. It shows the entire history of the object, including its position and velocity at any given moment.

2. How are worldlines and curves related in spacetime?

Worldlines are represented as curves in spacetime. The shape of the curve depends on the motion of the object, with straight lines representing constant velocity and curved lines representing acceleration or change in direction.

3. How does the concept of worldlines help us understand the universe?

The concept of worldlines allows us to visualize the motion of objects in the universe and understand how they interact with each other. It also helps us to understand the effects of gravity and the curvature of spacetime.

4. Can worldlines intersect or cross each other?

No, worldlines cannot intersect or cross each other. This is because each worldline represents the unique path of a single object, and two objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time.

5. Are worldlines and curves in spacetime only relevant to objects with mass?

No, worldlines and curves in spacetime are relevant to all objects, regardless of their mass. This is because even massless particles, such as photons, have a trajectory through spacetime and can be represented by a worldline.