Wormholes & Conservation of Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of transportation through wormholes and how it may violate the conservation of energy. It also explores the idea of a "past frame" and its relationship to the original information sender. The conversation ends with a link that provides further clarification on the topic.
biscuitcrush
I won't pretend to by a physicist (yet... maybe in four years :frown:) but I do surf Wikipedia a lot now and then. So I came to a general understanding (I think?) of how transportation through wormholes has you arrive at a frame in the past.

Wouldn't this violate the conservation of energy? Suddenly, a point in the past has more energy than the universe does at the moment you shove the information into the wormhole. Come to think of it, this "past frame" is a separate frame from the one of the original information sender, right? But how does that affect this?

edit

I don't think I was clear enough. Okay, let's say I was shoving information into a wormhole. When it arrives at the destination will now be in my past, because events where it arrives will take time before I cross into their "horizons" (if I'm using the correct term). So... my past now has more total energy than my present? Wait, what?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you very much, Sir.

1. What is a wormhole?

A wormhole is a hypothetical tunnel that connects two points in space-time, allowing for faster-than-light travel between them. It is a concept in theoretical physics that has not yet been proven to exist.

2. How does a wormhole conserve energy?

According to the theory of general relativity, energy is always conserved in the universe. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant. In the case of a wormhole, the energy required to create and maintain it is balanced by the energy of the matter and gravitational forces surrounding it.

3. Can energy be lost or gained when traveling through a wormhole?

No, energy cannot be lost or gained when traveling through a wormhole. As mentioned before, the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant. This means that the energy of an object entering a wormhole will be the same when it exits on the other side.

4. Is it possible to create and use a wormhole for practical purposes?

Currently, there is no known way to create or control a wormhole. The energy and technology required to create and maintain a stable wormhole are beyond our current capabilities. However, some scientists are studying the possibilities of harnessing the energy of black holes to create wormholes in the future.

5. How do wormholes affect the laws of conservation of energy and mass?

Wormholes do not violate the laws of conservation of energy and mass. The energy and mass of objects entering and exiting a wormhole will always remain the same. However, the concept of wormholes challenges our current understanding of space and time, and further research is needed to fully understand their potential effects on these fundamental laws.