Would a human be able to see a nebula if they were close enough?

In summary: It's so faint that it would only show up if you were looking for it specifically. So, while it would be visible with the naked eye, it would look nothing like the picture above.
esvion
Would the human eye be able to pick up a picture from the Hubble Telescope unaided if it were close enough? For instance, how close would I have to be to the Pillars of Creation in order for it to fill my entire field of view if I were floating in outer space? I assume several hundred light years away from it in order for me to be able perceive something so massive in my field of view, but if I am that far away can the human eye even see things that far away in space?

Thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It's really a matter of brightness of the nebula. The Orion Nebula is right on the edge of the human visual range and would be visible easily if we were closer to it. But no nebula would ever look anything like what a telescope photo looks like.

Oh wow, I suddenly feel really gullible: then what is it we're seeing in those nebula pictures?

mr. vodka said:
Oh wow, I suddenly feel really gullible: then what is it we're seeing in those nebula pictures?
What do you mean? What does gullibility have to do with anything? Obviously, when we see a picture of a nebula taken through a telescope, we're seeing the nebula as it looks to a telescope with a camera. Since human eyes are nowhere near as sensitive as a telescope with a camera, what it looks like to the naked eye is nothing like what it looks like to a telescope with a camera. It shouldn't be distressing to find that out.

Besides the brightness itself, our vision at night is almost completely devoid of color because the sensitivity of our eyes to color is much lower than the sensitivity to monochromatic light.

Consider the Andromeda Galaxy. It is so big in the sky that it dwarfs the full moon - it is something like 4x as big. But does it look anything like this to your eyes?: http://artsandsciences.ca/wp-conten..._-_The_Andromeda_Galaxy_M31_Spyral_Galaxy.jpg

Last edited:
Okay I thought you were implying we're actually looking (with the telescopes) with different frequencies (like IR) and translating them back to visible light. If not, what could be the difference between a telescope view and a human eye view?... (must be missing something obvious here)

Like I said, brightness and color. Again, consider the Andromeda Galaxy. It's up right now and it's huge. But I bet if you go outside you wouldn't even be able to find it!

1. Can a human see a nebula with the naked eye?

No, a human cannot see a nebula with the naked eye. Nebulas are extremely faint and most are only visible through telescopes or with long-exposure photography.

2. How close would a person have to be to see a nebula?

The distance at which a person would be able to see a nebula varies greatly depending on the brightness and size of the nebula. In general, a person would need to be within a few thousand light-years to see a nebula with the naked eye.

3. Would it be safe for a human to be close enough to a nebula to see it?

It is not currently possible for humans to get close enough to a nebula to see it without the aid of technology. However, if it were possible, it would not be safe for a human to be that close to a nebula. Nebulas are made up of gas and dust, and they often emit high-energy radiation that could be harmful to humans.

4. Are there any nebulas that can be seen from Earth without a telescope?

Yes, there are a few nebulas that can be seen from Earth without a telescope, such as the Orion Nebula and the Lagoon Nebula. However, these nebulas are only visible from dark, unpolluted areas and may require binoculars to see clearly.

5. What colors would a human see in a nebula?

The colors a human would see in a nebula would depend on the type of nebula and the composition of the gases and dust within it. Some nebulas have a reddish hue due to the presence of hydrogen gas, while others may appear blue or green due to the presence of oxygen or other elements.