Would going to Spain to study physics be a good idea?

In summary: I'm planning to tour over the summer, but I have to get some papers first in order to get to Spain:I'm planning to tour over the summer, but I have to get some papers first in order to get to Spain.
pandaface435
I've been considering a degree at the UAM due to the fact its incredibly cheaper than in the US. Any thoughts if this is a good idea?

Physics news on Phys.org
Autonomous University of Madrid? Cheaper than the US? What do you mean? There is a Autonomous University of Madrid in the US?

Likes pandaface435
Greg Bernhardt said:
Autonomous University of Madrid? Cheaper than the US? What do you mean? There is a Autonomous University of Madrid in the US?

The tuition of the Universidad Autonoma De Madrid in Madrid, Spain is less costly than that of here in the United States and it offers and undergraduate in physics which I'm interested in pursuing.

Last edited by a moderator:
pandaface435 said:
The tuition of the Universidad Autonoma De Madrid in Madrid, Spain is less costly than that of here in the United States and it offers and undergraduate in physics which I'm interested in pursuing.
The Universidad Autonoma De Madrid in Madrid is cheaper than all 1,845 colleges and universities in the US? If it's affordable and you like the University, what is there to discuss? :smile:

Greg Bernhardt said:
The Universidad Autonoma De Madrid in Madrid is cheaper than all 1,845 colleges and universities in the US?

Its about 1k a year to study there.

pandaface435 said:
Its about 1k a year to study there.
Wow that sounds awesome. Have you been able to tour or contact an advisor over there?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Wow that sounds awesome. Have you been able to tour or contact an advisor over there?

I'm planning to tour over the summer, but I have to get some papers first in order to get to Spain :P

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Are you fluent in Spanish? Really fluent - enough to handle complex ideas like you will get in a physics class?

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Vanadium 50 said:
Are you fluent in Spanish? Really fluent - enough to handle complex ideas like you will get in a physics class?

Yeah my first language was spanish. I can speak English slightly better than spanish but I think I'm fluent in spanish.

Related to Would going to Spain to study physics be a good idea?

1. Is Spain a good country to study physics in?

Yes, Spain has a strong academic reputation and several highly ranked universities with excellent physics programs, such as the University of Barcelona and the Autonomous University of Madrid.

2. Are there any language barriers for studying physics in Spain?

While Spanish is the primary language in Spain, many universities offer courses in English and have programs specifically designed for international students. Additionally, learning a new language can be a valuable skill for a scientist.

3. Will studying physics in Spain be expensive?

The cost of studying in Spain varies depending on the university and program, but overall, it is relatively affordable compared to other countries. There are also scholarships and financial aid options available for international students.

4. Are there opportunities for research and internships in Spain?

Yes, many universities in Spain have research facilities and partnerships with companies and organizations that offer internships for students. This can provide valuable hands-on experience and networking opportunities in the field of physics.

5. What is the quality of education like in Spain?

The quality of education in Spain is generally high, with universities ranked among the top in Europe. The physics programs in Spanish universities are also accredited and recognized internationally, ensuring a quality education for students.