Would two conductors of same charge touch or not touch?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving conductors with the same charge and the possibility of them touching or crashing into each other. The solution for part (a) involves determining the velocity necessary for the spheres to touch, while for part (b), it is assumed that the velocities will eventually become zero due to gravity. For part (c), it is discussed that being the same charge is not enough to prevent the spheres from touching and that the main difference between conductors and insulators is the ability of charges to move freely. The strength of repulsion is also mentioned in relation to the distribution of charges on the surface of the spheres.
notaphysmajor

Homework Statement

insulating_spheres.png

Homework Equations

I need help with part c

for part (a) I got 18 m/s and for part (b) I said the velocity would be zero after a long time has passed, assuming that there is gravity.

The Attempt at a Solution

For part (c) I would assume that they would not touch because they are conductors of the same charge and same charge would not attract. I'm not sure if that is correct though.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
notaphysmajor said:
...for part (a) I got 18 m/s and for part (b) I said the velocity would be zero after a long time has passed, assuming that there is gravity.
Why does gravity make a difference? Are you thinking that q2 falls to the ground?
When you did part (a), did you account for gravity? In fact - how did you do part (a)?

For part (c) I would assume that they would not touch because they are conductors of the same charge and same charge would not attract. I'm not sure if that is correct though.
For part (a), identical charge, you said that the sphere do touch if they go fast enough. Thus, merely being the same charge is not enough to prevent them crashing into each other.

The main difference between a conductor and an insulator for this situation is that the charges on a conductor are free to move around the conductor. The charges do repel each other ... so sketch the two sphere's close to each other and sketch the charge distribution across the surface of both.
Compare with the case that the charges are evenly distributed - think about the strength of the repulsion for the same separation.

Last edited:

Related to Would two conductors of same charge touch or not touch?

1. What happens when two conductors with the same charge touch each other?

When two conductors with the same charge touch each other, they will repel each other due to the electrostatic force. This is because like charges repel each other.

2. Why do two conductors with the same charge repel each other?

Two conductors with the same charge repel each other because of the principle of electrostatics. Like charges repel each other because they have the same type of charge, whether positive or negative.

3. Will two conductors with the same charge ever touch?

No, two conductors with the same charge will never touch each other. They will always repel each other due to the electrostatic force.

4. How does the distance between two conductors with the same charge affect their interaction?

The distance between two conductors with the same charge affects their interaction by altering the strength of the electrostatic force between them. The closer the conductors are, the stronger the force of repulsion will be.

5. Can two conductors with opposite charges touch each other?

Yes, two conductors with opposite charges can touch each other. They will be attracted to each other and will stick together due to the electrostatic force. This is because opposite charges attract each other.