Write F as a sum of an orthogonal and parallel vector

In summary, an object moving in the direction i + j is being acted upon by the force vector 2i + j. The force can be expressed as the sum of a force in the direction of motion, 2i + j, and a force perpendicular to the direction of motion, i - j. This can be found using the projection of the force vector onto the parallel and orthogonal components. By taking the dot product of the direction of motion, <1,1>, with the force vector, <2,1>, and dividing it by the magnitude of the direction of motion squared, <1,1>, we get the parallel component of the force, <3/2, 3/2>. The perpendicular component can be
jonroberts74
an object is moving in the direction i + j is being acted upon by the force vector 2i + j, express this force as the sum of a force in the direction of motion and a force perpendicular to the direction of motion.

the parallel would be [tex] \hat{i}+\hat{j}[/tex] and the orthogonal would be [tex]\hat{i} - \hat{j}[/tex]using projection of F onto the parallel and orthogonal

[tex] \frac{<1,1>\cdot<2,1>}{||<1,1>||^2}<1,1> = <\frac{3}{2}, \frac{3}{2} >[/tex]

[tex] \frac{<1,-1>\cdot<2,1>}{||<1,-1>||^2}<1,-1> = <\frac{1}{2} , \frac{-1}{2}>[/tex]

[tex] \vec{F} = <\frac{3}{2}, \frac{3}{2} > + <\frac{1}{2}, \frac{-1}{2} > [/tex]

[tex] = 2\hat{i} + 1\hat{j} [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
jonroberts74 said:
an object is moving in the direction i + j is being acted upon by the force vector 2i + j, express this force as the sum of a force in the direction of motion and a force perpendicular to the direction of motion.

Out of curiosity, what is the i+j direction? Do you mean the positive x and y directions? Where is the object exactly?

I'm assuming a few things here, but:

Place the force vector ##\vec F = 2 \hat i + 1 \hat j## at the position of the object; Then find a unit vector ##\vec u## in the direction of the object (using a position vector ##\vec r##).

Use ##\vec F## and ##\vec u## to find the parallel projection ##F_{||}## (by using the dot product). Take a moment to express the parallel component in vector form, ##\vec F_{||}##, by using ##\vec u##.

The perpendicular component is easily obtained by geometry afterwards, i.e:

##\vec F_{\perp} = \vec F - \vec F_{||}##

jonroberts74 said:

the parallel would be [tex] \hat{i}+\hat{j}[/tex] and the orthogonal would be [tex]\hat{i} - \hat{j}[/tex]

I know what you mean, but the sentence is not correct. It means as if the parallel and perpendicular components of the force vector would be i+j and i-j. You have to find the force component parallel with the direction of motion , say v and perpendicular to it. The direction of the motion is parallel to i+j and i-j is perpendicular to it.

jonroberts74 said:
using projection of F onto the parallel and orthogonal /onto the direction of v and onto the direction orthogonal to v

[tex] \frac{<1,1>\cdot<2,1>}{||<1,1>||^2}<1,1> = <\frac{3}{2}, \frac{3}{2} >[/tex]

[tex] \frac{<1,-1>\cdot<2,1>}{||<1,-1>||^2}<1,-1> = <\frac{1}{2} , \frac{-1}{2}>[/tex]

[tex] \vec{F} = <\frac{3}{2}, \frac{3}{2} > + <\frac{1}{2}, \frac{-1}{2} > [/tex]

[tex] = 2\hat{i} + 1\hat{j} [/tex]

The result is correct.

ehild

Zondrina said:
Out of curiosity, what is the i+j direction? Do you mean the positive x and y directions? Where is the object exactly?

I'm assuming a few things here, but:

Place the force vector ##\vec F = 2 \hat i + 1 \hat j## at the position of the object; Then find a unit vector ##\vec u## in the direction of the object (using a position vector ##\vec r##).

Use ##\vec F## and ##\vec u## to find the parallel projection ##F_{||}## (by using the dot product). Take a moment to express the parallel component in vector form, ##\vec F_{||}##, by using ##\vec u##.

The perpendicular component is easily obtained by geometry afterwards, i.e:

##\vec F_{\perp} = \vec F - \vec F_{||}##

thats the only information given. this is in a calc class not a physics class so like most math classes they give the bare minimum with physics problems

ehild said:
I know what you mean, but the sentence is not correct. It means as if the parallel and perpendicular components of the force vector would be i+j and i-j. You have to find the force component parallel with the direction of motion , say v and perpendicular to it. The direction of the motion is parallel to i+j and i-j is perpendicular to it.

The result is correct.

ehild

yeah I typed the question word for word, not the best wording

jonroberts74 said:
yeah I typed the question word for word, not the best wording

The question was correct. It was the first sentence of your solution which was not.

ehild

1. What is the definition of an orthogonal vector?

An orthogonal vector is a vector that is perpendicular, or at a 90 degree angle, to another vector.

2. What is the definition of a parallel vector?

A parallel vector is a vector that has the same direction as another vector, but may have a different magnitude.

3. How do you write vector F as a sum of an orthogonal and parallel vector?

To write vector F as a sum of an orthogonal and parallel vector, you first need to find a vector that is perpendicular to vector F. This will be the orthogonal vector. Then, you can find the parallel vector by projecting vector F onto the orthogonal vector. The sum of these two vectors will result in vector F.

4. Why is it important to be able to write a vector as a sum of an orthogonal and parallel vector?

Writing a vector as a sum of an orthogonal and parallel vector allows us to break down a complex vector into simpler components. This can help with calculations and understanding the direction and magnitude of the original vector.

5. Are there any real-world applications for writing a vector as a sum of an orthogonal and parallel vector?

Yes, this concept is commonly used in physics and engineering, particularly in situations where forces and motions need to be broken down into their component parts. It is also used in computer graphics and animation to determine the direction and movement of objects.