Write Sz in the J angular momentum basis?

In summary, the problem is to express the operator S_z in terms of operators in the basis \vec{J} = \vec{L} + \vec{S} in order to operate on states \mid \ell, s=1/2, j= \ell\pm1/2, m\rangle. The solution involves using z as the preferred orientation for the problem (Jz) and working in a basis with elements that are tensor products \|j,m_j\rangle_z \otimes |s,m_s \rangle_z, which are still eigenvectors of Sz with the same eigenvalues. In this wider basis, constructed from Lz and Sz basis vectors, Sz acts like the unit matrix on the j
dipole
I'm working on a problem where I want to write the operator [itex] S_z [/itex] down in terms of some operator(s) in the [itex] \vec{J} = \vec{L} + \vec{S} [/itex] basis so that I can operate [itex] S_z [/itex] on the states [itex]\mid \ell, s=1/2, j= \ell\pm1/2, m\rangle[/itex] but I'm having trouble finding the correct combination of operators to do so.

Is this possible, and if so could anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're using z as the preferred orientation for your problem(Jz), and your orbital and spin AM are in the same direction, you are already working in a basis with elements that are tensor products [itex]\|j,m_j\rangle_z \otimes |s,m_s \rangle_z[/itex], which are still eigenvectors of Sz with the same eigenvalues. Sz in this "wider" basis constructed from Lz and Sz basis vectors simply acts like the unit matrix on the j-part.

Last edited:

Related to Write Sz in the J angular momentum basis?

1. What does "Write Sz in the J angular momentum basis" mean?

"Write Sz in the J angular momentum basis" is a scientific notation used to represent the z-component of spin angular momentum, Sz, in the J basis. It is commonly used in quantum mechanics to describe the quantum state of a particle.

2. How is Sz related to angular momentum?

Sz is one of the three components of spin angular momentum, along with Sx and Sy. Together, these components make up the total angular momentum of a particle.

3. What is the J basis?

The J basis is a mathematical basis used to describe the state of a particle's angular momentum. It is a combination of the spin angular momentum and orbital angular momentum of the particle.

4. How do you write Sz in the J angular momentum basis?

To write Sz in the J basis, you first need to determine the values of J and m, which represent the total angular momentum and its projection on the z-axis, respectively. Then, you can use the formula Sz = mħ, where ħ is the reduced Planck's constant, to calculate the z-component of spin angular momentum in the J basis.

5. Why is writing Sz in the J angular momentum basis important?

Writing Sz in the J basis allows scientists to accurately describe the state of a particle's angular momentum and make predictions about its behavior. It is an essential tool in quantum mechanics and is used in various fields, including atomic and nuclear physics, solid state physics, and particle physics.