Writing this series as a hypergeometric series

In summary, the conversation was about how to write the series \displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{9^k (\frac{2}{3})_k} \frac{w^{3k}}{k!} in terms of the Gauss hypergeometric series of the form _2 F_1(a,b;c;z). The solution involved setting z=\frac{w^3}{9} and choosing appropriate values for a and b, and then checking if the solution satisfies the hypergeometric differential equation.
Ted123

Homework Statement

Write [tex]\displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{9^k (\frac{2}{3})_k} \frac{w^{3k}}{k!}[/tex] in terms of the Gauss hypergeometric series of the form [itex]_2 F_1(a,b;c;z)[/itex].

Homework Equations

The Gauss hypergeometric series is http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/5992/gauss.png

The Attempt at a Solution

It's nearly a series of that form if I put [itex]z=w^3[/itex] and [itex]k=n[/itex] but how do I get the [itex]9^{-k} = 3^{-k}3^{-k}[/itex] factors in terms of shifted factorials (that is if I need to)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That term does not go into the factorials, it goes into z^n.

clamtrox said:
That term does not go into the factorials, it goes into z^n.

Ah of course. So if I put [itex]z=\frac{w^3}{9}[/itex] then the series can be written as [itex]_2 F_1 (a,b ; \frac{2}{3} ; \frac{w^3}{9})[/itex] for some [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] with [itex](a)_n(b)_n = 1[/itex] for all [itex]n=0,1,2,...[/itex] Can I just pick [itex]a=b=0[/itex]?

I would do some extra checking to be sure that that's right. Can you plug the solution into the hypergeometric differential equation with a=b=0 and see if it solves it?

clamtrox said:
I would do some extra checking to be sure that that's right. Can you plug the solution into the hypergeometric differential equation with a=b=0 and see if it solves it?

Actually [tex](0)_n (0)_n \neq 1[/tex] for n=0,1,2,... so how do I get 2 shifted factorials to equal 1?

1. What is a hypergeometric series?

A hypergeometric series is a mathematical series where each term is calculated by multiplying the previous term by a constant ratio. It is a type of infinite series that is commonly used in probability and statistics.

2. How is a hypergeometric series written?

A hypergeometric series is typically written in the form of Σn=0 an(z-c)n, where an is the coefficient of the nth term, z is the variable, and c is a constant.

3. What is the significance of writing a series as a hypergeometric series?

Writing a series as a hypergeometric series can help simplify the series and make it easier to manipulate and analyze. It can also reveal patterns and relationships between terms in the series.

4. How is a hypergeometric series different from other types of series?

Unlike other types of series, a hypergeometric series has a constant ratio between each term. This means that the series converges or diverges depending on the value of this ratio. Additionally, hypergeometric series are typically used in the context of probability and statistics, while other types of series may be used in different areas of mathematics.

5. Can any series be written as a hypergeometric series?

No, not all series can be written as a hypergeometric series. The series must have a constant ratio between each term in order to be written as a hypergeometric series. Additionally, the terms in the series must also satisfy certain conditions for the series to converge.