X^4 perturbative energy eigenvalues for harmonic oscillator

In summary, there was a discussion about a solution provided in a book, but after checking and rechecking for two hours, the result did not match the textbook's. The conversation then delved into finding the correct solution, with some typographical errors being corrected along the way. The final conclusion was that the textbook's result was incorrect and the correct solution was found to be ##\large \langle n | x^4| n \rangle = \frac{3}{4} \left( \frac{\hbar}{m \omega} \right)^2 (2n^2+2n+1)##.
PBTR3
Homework Statement
Compute first order correction matrix elements ##\langle \n | x^4 |m \rangle## for a one dimensional harmonic oscillator.
Relevant Equations
##\langle \n |x^4 |m \rangle = 2 \left( \frac hbar 2m\omega \right) \left( 3n^2 +2n +1 \right)##
\
The book(Schaum) says the above is the solution but after two hours of tedious checking and rechecking I get 2n^2 in place or the 3n^2. Am I missing something or is this just a typo?

Physics news on Phys.org
PBTR3 said:
Relevant Equations:: ##\langle \n |x^4 |m \rangle = 2 \left( \frac hbar 2m\omega \right) \left( 3n^2 +2n +1 \right)##

Please correct the typographical errors on both sides of this equation.

I do find that ##\langle n |x^4 |n \rangle## is equal to a constant factor times ##\left( 2n^2 +2n +1 \right)## instead of ##\left(3n^2 +2n +1 \right)##. So, the textbook's result does not appear to be correct.

You haven't shown any work, so we cannot tell if your method of solution is correct.

Likes vanhees71
TSny said:
Please correct the typographical errors on both sides of this equation.

I do find that ##\langle n |x^4 |n \rangle## is equal to a constant factor times ##\left( 2n^2 +2n +1 \right)## instead of ##\left(3n^2 +2n +1 \right)##. So, the textbook's result does not appear to be correct.

You haven't shown any work, so we cannot tell if your method of solution is correct.

(a + a*)^4= a^4+a^3a*+a^2a*a+a^2a*2+aa*a^2+aa*aa*+aa*^2a+aa*^3+a*a^3+a*a^2a*+
a*aa*a+a*aa^2+a*^2a^2+a*^2a^2+a*^2aa*+a*^3a+a*^4
then throw out all terms with unequal powers of a and a* which are 0.
##\langle n | a^2a*^2 | m \rangle=\langle n | (m+1) (m+2) | m \rangle##
Results for the rest are similar calculations to:
(m+1)(m+1), 2 m(m+1), m^2, and m(m-1)
Adding them all up = 6m^2 + 6m +3 or 3(2m^2 + 2m + 1) or since n=m
3(2n^2 + 2n + 1)

PBTR3 said:
3(2n^2 + 2n + 1)
I am still trying to figure out how to fix that relevant equation post.

PBTR3 said:
OK. I think the term in boldface should be a*aa*^2, but that's probably just a typographical error.

PBTR3 said:
I assume the reason why you are throwing out these terms is that you are only considering the case where m = n.

PBTR3 said:
3(2n^2 + 2n + 1)
Looks good.

Do you get ##\large \langle n | x^4| n \rangle = \frac{3}{4} \left( \frac{\hbar}{m \omega} \right)^2 (2n^2+2n+1)##?

TSny said:
OK. I think the term in boldface should be a*aa*^2, but that's probably just a typographical error.I assume the reason why you are throwing out these terms is that you are only considering the case where m = n.Looks good.

Do you get ##\large \langle n | x^4| n \rangle = \frac{3}{4} \left( \frac{\hbar}{m \omega} \right)^2 (2n^2+2n+1)##?
Yes! I am very much a novice at this and when books give an answer it usually helps greatly BUT when the answer published is wrong it causes much difficulty. Yes that is my typo. I am not perfect either. Also I throw out the odd powers because the integral they represent is zero from -infinity to plus infinity. Finally, all the *'s should be daggers but typing dagger every time seems wasteful. I have more confidence in my normalizations of a and a* now. Thank you very very much.

Likes TSny

1. What is the significance of X^4 perturbative energy eigenvalues for the harmonic oscillator?

The X^4 perturbative energy eigenvalues for the harmonic oscillator provide a more accurate approximation of the energy levels than the traditional X^2 perturbation method. This is especially useful for systems with strong anharmonicities.

2. How is the X^4 perturbation method used to calculate energy eigenvalues?

The X^4 perturbation method involves adding a cubic term to the Hamiltonian of the harmonic oscillator and then solving for the energy eigenvalues using perturbation theory. The resulting energy eigenvalues are then used as a starting point to calculate the X^4 perturbative energy eigenvalues.

3. Can the X^4 perturbative energy eigenvalues be derived analytically?

Yes, the X^4 perturbative energy eigenvalues can be derived analytically using perturbation theory. However, the calculations can become quite complex and tedious, so numerical methods are often used instead.

4. How do the X^4 perturbative energy eigenvalues compare to the exact energy eigenvalues?

The X^4 perturbative energy eigenvalues are more accurate than the X^2 perturbative energy eigenvalues, but they are still only approximations. The exact energy eigenvalues can only be obtained through numerical methods or by solving the Schrödinger equation exactly.

5. Are there any limitations to using the X^4 perturbative energy eigenvalues for the harmonic oscillator?

Yes, the X^4 perturbative energy eigenvalues are only accurate for systems with strong anharmonicities. For systems with weak anharmonicities, the X^2 perturbative energy eigenvalues may be more accurate. Additionally, the X^4 perturbation method may not be suitable for highly excited states or for systems with multiple interacting particles.