XY plane as the interface between two media

In summary: In each case, the left hand side is a scalar multiple of the direction vector ##\hat {\mathbf n}##. The right hand side is a vector that is perpendicular to the direction vector. So, the right hand side must have two components that are perpendicular to ##\hat {\mathbf n}##. (This is because the direction of ##\hat {\mathbf n}## is not specified, only its direction perpendicular to the plane.)##\hat {\mathbf n} \times \left( \mathbf H_2 - \mathbf H_1\right) = \mathbf K##The x-component of the left hand side is ##\left( \mathbf H_
whatisgoingon

Homework Statement

The xy-plane serves as the interface between two different media. Medium 1 (z < 0) is filled with a material whose µr=6, and medium 2 (z > 0) is filled with a material whose µr=4. If the interface carries a current (1/µ0)ˆy (y- hat) mA/m, and B2 = 5ˆx (x-hat) + 8ˆz (z-hat) mWb/m2 , find H1 and B1.

Homework Equations

H = 1/μ0 B - M.
Habove - Hbelow = Kf x ^n (n-hat)[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I am not doing this right because it seems to simple and my linear algebra isn't the best (I forgot some of the concepts) but this is what made sense to me:

H2 = 1/(μ04) [5 ^x + 8 ^z]

Sub that into the second equation.

so

1/(μ04) [5 ^x + 8 ^z] - H1 = 1 ^y
=>
1/(μ04) [5 ^x + 8 ^z] - 1/(μ06)B2 = 1 ^y

I change it into vector coordinates

1/μ0 (5/4, 0, 8/4) - 1/μ0 (x/6, -6/6, z/6) = 1 ^y

Then solve for x and z.

I get H1 = 1/(μ0) (7.5/6 ^x - 1 ^y + 12/6 ^z)
and B1 = 7.5 ^x - ^y + 12^zAm I going about this right or am I all the way in Mars right now?

Physics news on Phys.org
whatisgoingon said:

Homework Equations

H = 1/μ0 B - M.
Habove - Hbelow = Kf x ^n (n-hat)[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

H2 = 1/(μ04) [5 ^x + 8 ^z]
Your result for H2 is correct, but it isn't clear how you got it. It does not follow immediately from either of your equations in the "Relevant equations" section.

Sub that into the second equation.

so

1/(μ04) [5 ^x + 8 ^z] - H1 = 1 ^y
This isn't right. Your relevant equation ##\mathbf H_{\rm above} - \mathbf H_{\rm below} = \mathbf K_f \times \hat {\mathbf n}## is not correct in general. (Even if it were correct, the right hand side does not have a direction in the ##\hat y## direction.)

The correct equation is generally written as shown here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inter...terface_conditions_for_magnetic_field_vectors
See the second equation.

Equation 1 of my "Relevant Equations" is how I got H2. I just inserted B2 into the equation.

And thank you! That link makes a lot of sense.

I was wondering if I was going in the right direction in terms of subtracting the vectors to get zero. Because from the link you posted, I need to find B1 and then subtract it from B2 to get zero? Because from there I can find H2. Am going about this the right way?

whatisgoingon said:
Equation 1 of my "Relevant Equations" is how I got H2. I just inserted B2 into the equation.
Your equation 1 has the magnetization M. So, it is not immediately obvious how you dealt with this term. After substituting B2 into the equation, what did you do with M?

I was wondering if I was going in the right direction in terms of subtracting the vectors to get zero. Because from the link you posted, I need to find B1 and then subtract it from B2 to get zero? Because from there I can find H2. Am going about this the right way?
I would need to see the details of your attempt. The equation to use is ##\hat {\mathbf n} \times \left( \mathbf H_2 - \mathbf H_1\right) = \mathbf K##, where ##\hat {\mathbf n}## is the unit normal vector pointing from medium 1 to medium 2. Consider separately the x and y components of this equation.

1. What is the XY plane as the interface between two media?

The XY plane, also known as the Cartesian plane, is a two-dimensional coordinate system used to plot points and graph equations. In the context of two media, the XY plane represents the interface or boundary between the two materials.

2. How is the XY plane used in the study of two media?

The XY plane is used to visualize and analyze the behavior of waves as they pass through or interact with different media. It helps scientists understand how waves are affected by the properties of the materials they travel through.

3. What is the significance of the XY plane in the study of light?

In the study of light, the XY plane is used to represent the interface between two media with different refractive indices. This allows scientists to predict and observe the behavior of light as it passes through materials such as lenses or prisms.

4. Can the XY plane represent the interface between more than two media?

Yes, the XY plane can represent the interface between multiple media. In this case, each material would be represented by a different region on the plane, with the boundaries between them serving as the interfaces.

5. How does the XY plane help in modeling and designing devices that use multiple media?

The XY plane is an important tool for modeling and designing devices that use multiple media, such as lenses or fiber optics. By understanding how waves behave at different interfaces, scientists can optimize the design of these devices for specific purposes.