Y' = y(6-y) has a turning point when y = 3.

In summary: When solving a differential equation, it's usually helpful to know a little bit about differential equations. The equation in this problem is separable, and is fairly easy to solve.
johann1301

Homework Statement

Show that a solution to y' = y(6-y) has a turning point when y = 3.

The Attempt at a Solution

If y has a turning point, then y'' = 0. I find that y'' = 6 - 2y. If i solve 0=6-2y i get y =3.

But how do i know that this is a turning point? yes, y'' equals zero, but don't i have to know that y'' changes sign when 'passing' zero? It could be that the solution is for instance concave, then linear, then concave again as x increases? When the function/solution is linear, the y'' is zero, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
For that you have to check the lowest order non-vanishing derivative of y' (i.e., in this case y''').

i have to differentiate y''(x) = 6 y'(x) x' - 2 y(x) y'(x) x' ?

johann1301 said:

Homework Statement

Show that a solution to y' = y(6-y) has a turning point when y = 3.

The Attempt at a Solution

If y has a turning point, then y'' = 0.

Has the feel of a misquoted problem, am I right? Anyway recall that at a turning point it is y' that is 0 and y'' changes sign.

When i write turning point, i mean where the function changes from concave to convex, or vica versa. In my native language we call this point a turning point.

first of all...

if i start with
y'(x) = 6y(x) -(y(x))^2

and try to find y''(x) i get...

y''(x) = (6y(x))' -((y(x))^2)'

y''(x) = 6y'(x)x' - 2y(x)y'(x)x'

y''(x) = (6- 2y(x))(y'(x)x')

If y''(x) = 0 the y'(x)x' = 0 or 6- 2y(x) = 0

Is this even correct ?

epenguin said:
Has the feel of a misquoted problem, am I right? Anyway recall that at a turning point it is y' that is 0 and y'' changes sign.

johann1301 said:
When i write turning point, i mean where the function changes from concave to convex, or vica versa. In my native language we call this point a turning point.
A turning point is where y'=0 and y' changes sign. An inflection point is where y''=0 and y'' changes sign.

then i mean inflection!

johann1301 said:
first of all...

if i start with
y'(x) = 6y(x) -(y(x))^2

and try to find y''(x) i get...

y''(x) = 6y'(x)x' - 2y(x)y'(x)x'

y''(x) = (6- 2y(x))(y'(x)x')

If y''(x) = 0 the y'(x)x' = 0 or 6- 2y(x) = 0

Is this even correct ?
That's fine. Presumably, you're differentiating with respect to ##x##, so ##x'=1##. Now you need to differentiate one more time to find ##y'''##.

vela said:
A turning point is where y'=0 and y' changes sign. An inflection point is where y''=0 and y'' changes sign.

Sure, sorry. :s

A possibility that no one has mentioned is to just go ahead and solve the differential equation, assuming that you know a little about differential equations. The equation in this problem is separable, and is fairly easy to solve.

By separable, I mean that it can be rewritten as ##\frac{dy}{y(6 - y)} = dx##. Split the fraction on the left side using partial fraction decomposition, and then integrate both sides.

johann1301 said:
This notation is really cumbersome, IMO. Since it's pretty obvious that x is the independent variable, all of the y(x), y'(x) and similar terms can be written more clearly as just y, y', and so on.

Related to Y' = y(6-y) has a turning point when y = 3.

1. What is the equation "Y' = y(6-y) has a turning point when y = 3" referring to?

The equation "Y' = y(6-y) has a turning point when y = 3" is referring to a quadratic function in the form of y=ax^2+bx+c, where a=-1, b=6, and c=0.

2. What is a turning point in a quadratic function?

A turning point in a quadratic function is the highest or lowest point on the graph of the function, also known as the vertex. It is where the function changes from increasing to decreasing or vice versa.

3. How can you determine the y-value of the turning point in a quadratic function?

The y-value of the turning point in a quadratic function can be determined by substituting the x-value of the turning point into the equation and solving for y. In this case, when y=3, the turning point has a y-value of 9.

4. Why does the equation "Y' = y(6-y) has a turning point when y = 3" have a negative coefficient for x^2?

The negative coefficient for x^2 indicates that the parabola will have a downward opening shape, meaning it will have a maximum value at the turning point. This is because the coefficient affects the direction and steepness of the curve.

5. Are there any other ways to find the turning point of a quadratic function?

Yes, you can also find the turning point by taking the derivative of the function and setting it equal to 0, then solving for the x-value. The x-value of the turning point can then be substituted back into the original function to find the y-value.