Year 11 Physics depth study (Waves and thermodynamics)

In summary: Is the 555 timer square wave generator hard to build? If you have any idea on how to build it, could you please explain that. Thanks
mani88
Homework Statement
Hi, I have a physics depth study starting next week. It seems we have to design an experiment on how variations in pitch and loudness of sound change the characteristics of the sound wave. I have a deep understanding of the theory aspect of this part but I have no idea how to make practical, testing this question. Our practical has to give us quantitative data that we can analyze and evaluate. Any help on how to make the practical or what practical I can conduct will be appreciated. Thanks :)
Relevant Equations
No relevant equations required
I don't know how to make the practical or what practical I can conduct that would test the question we have been given.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:
mani88 said:
Problem Statement: Hi, I have a physics depth study starting next week. It seems we have to design an experiment on how variations in pitch and loudness of sound change the characteristics of the sound wave.
I'm not sure how to interpret your question. Do you have access to a water tank to study water waves? What do you plan to use for generating the sound waves? Are you supposed to study how sound waves in air couple to water to form waves? Or does this study not involve water at all?

Can you please describe the project concept and goals in more detail? Thanks.

mani88 said:
Problem Statement: Hi, I have a physics depth study starting next week.
This would mean something else for a high school student than for a PhD student.

Thought of using a PC oscilloscope and bunch of sounds from birds, musical instruments, etc.. ?

mani88 said:
I have a deep understanding of the theory
contrasts painfully with
No relevant equations required
So what is this deep understanding ? Idea: Another way to set up your project could be: how can I transfer my deep understanding to a peer who hasn't been initiated to the subject yet ?

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

I'm not sure how to interpret your question. Do you have access to a water tank to study water waves? What do you plan to use for generating the sound waves? Are you supposed to study how sound waves in air couple to water to form waves? Or does this study not involve water at all?

Can you please describe the project concept and goals in more detail? Thanks.
I have attached my physics notification. These are the instructions we were given. We can't use too high tech equipment as our school won't provide them.

Attachments

• Physics notification.jpg
    Physics notification.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 412
BvU said:
This would mean something else for a high school student than for a PhD student.

Thought of using a PC oscilloscope and bunch of sounds from birds, musical instruments, etc.. ?

contrasts painfully with
So what is this deep understanding ? Idea: Another way to set up your project could be: how can I transfer my deep understanding to a peer who hasn't been initiated to the subject yet ?
I'm sorry for not explaining it well but what I mean from a deep understanding of the theory is that I know how a change in the wave characteristics such as frequency, amplitude, velocity, and period/wavelength affect or change sound waves in terms of their loudness and pitch, but I don't know how to make a practical which can test these characteristics of a sound wave. Hopefully, this explains what I mean from a deep understanding of the theory. I'll also include an assignment notification of my physics depth study notification and the exact instructions we were given. Thanks for your help

Attachments

• Physics notification.jpg
    Physics notification.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 298
you can build a relatively simple 555 timer square wave generator with a potentiometer for changing the frequency of the sound wave , you will notice that when you change the frequency the pitch of the sound
change.
you can experiment with this idea as a start

patric44 said:
you can build a relatively simple 555 timer square wave generator with a potentiometer for changing the frequency of the sound wave , you will notice that when you change the frequency the pitch of the sound
change.
Is the 555 timer square wave generator hard to build? If you have any idea on how to build it, could you please explain that. Thanks

patric44 said:
change.
I saw a couple of videos on how to build a simple 555 timer square wave generator, but it seems really complicated. I'm only in year 11 so I don't want to do something really complicated. Thank you so much for your help anyways :)

1. What is the purpose of a depth study in Year 11 Physics?

The purpose of a depth study in Year 11 Physics is to allow students to explore a selected topic in more detail and apply their knowledge and skills to a specific area of interest.

2. What are the main concepts covered in the Waves and Thermodynamics depth study?

The main concepts covered in the Waves and Thermodynamics depth study include properties of waves, wave behavior, wave interactions, thermodynamic processes, and the laws of thermodynamics.

3. How does the study of waves and thermodynamics relate to real-life applications?

The study of waves and thermodynamics relates to real-life applications in various fields such as engineering, medicine, and energy production. For example, understanding wave behavior is essential in designing structures to withstand earthquakes, and knowledge of thermodynamics is crucial in developing efficient energy systems.

4. What are some common experiments or investigations conducted in this depth study?

Some common experiments or investigations conducted in this depth study include studying the behavior of different types of waves, exploring the relationship between wavelength and frequency, investigating heat transfer through different materials, and analyzing the efficiency of heat engines.

5. How can I prepare for a Year 11 Physics depth study in Waves and Thermodynamics?

To prepare for a Year 11 Physics depth study in Waves and Thermodynamics, it is important to have a strong understanding of the fundamental concepts covered in the course. It is also helpful to familiarize yourself with the specific topic and research potential experiments or investigations to conduct. Additionally, practicing with past exam questions and seeking guidance from a teacher or mentor can also aid in preparation.