Yes, that is the correct answer. Good job!

• MHB
  • Thread starter shamieh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ivp
In summary, when the Laplace Transform is applied to a certain IVP, the resulting equation is $(s^2Y - 2s - 1) + (sY - 2) - 2Y = \frac{4}{s}$.
shamieh
When the Laplace Transform is applied to a certain IVP, the resulting equation is $(s^2Y - 2s - 1) + (sY - 2) - 2Y = \frac{4}{s}$

What was the IVP?

So I think I've solved this, but just want to make sure I got the correct answer.

I got:

$y(0) = 2$ , $y'(0) = 1$, & $C = 2$

$\therefore y'' + y' - 2y = 4$ was the IVP correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
shamieh said:
When the Laplace Transform is applied to a certain IVP, the resulting equation is $(s^2Y - 2s - 1) + (sY - 2) = \frac{4}{s}$

What was the IVP?

So I think I've solved this, but just want to make sure I got the correct answer.

I got:

$y(0) = 2$ , $y'(0) = 1$, & $C = 2$

$\therefore y'' + y' + 2y = 4$ was the IVP correct?

Hmm. We have that
\begin{align*}
L\{y(t)\}&=Y(s) \\
L\{y'(t)\}&=s Y(s)-y(0) \\
L\{y''(t)\}&=s^2 Y(s) -sy(0)-y'(0).
\end{align*}
Now, our ansatz will be
$$(s^2Y - 2s - 1) + (sY - 2)=L\{A y''(t)+By'(t)+Cy(t)\}.$$
The absence of any $Y$ in the LT suggests that $C=0$. Taking the LT on the RHS, then, yields
$$A(s^2 Y-sy(0)-y'(0))+B(s Y-y(0)).$$
It must be that $A=1$, or the $s^2Y$ term wouldn't work. That is, our equation is now
$$(s^2Y - 2s - 1) + (sY - 2)=s^2 Y-sy(0)-y'(0)+B(s Y-y(0)).$$
Is there a value of $B$ that would make this work? Well, let's see if we can determine $y(0)$ and $y'(0)$ first. On the LHS, there is the $-2s$ term - this must mean that $-y(0)=-2$, or $y(0)=2$. Plugging this into the equation yields
$$ - 1 + sY - 2=-y'(0)+B(s Y-2).$$
The only value of $B$ that works here is $B=1$. Thus, our equation boils down to
$$ -3=-y'(0)-2.$$
This implies $y'(0)=1$. So the IVP must be
\begin{align*}
y''(t)+y'(t)&=4 \\
y(0)&=2 \\
y'(0)&=1.
\end{align*}
We double-check by taking the LT:
\begin{align*}
s^2 Y -sy(0)-y'(0)+s Y-y(0)&=\frac4s \\
s^2 Y-2s-1+sY-2&=\frac4s.
\end{align*}
Can you see where you went wrong?

Ach, I wrote the incorrect question. It should have said $(s^2Y - 2s - 1) + (sY - 2) -2Y = \frac{4}{s}$ instead of $(s^2Y - 2s - 1) + (sY - 2) = \frac{4}{s}$ would my answer then be correct?

I've edited the question to what I meant to have it say in the first place :rolleyes: I'm still unsure if my answer is correct tho. Can you verify?

Yes, I should say your answer is now correct. The $-2Y$ term can only come from a $-2y(t)$ term in the original DE. The rest of the analysis goes through as is.

1. What is the IVP?

The IVP, or the initial value problem, is a mathematical concept that refers to a differential equation along with specific conditions, or values, for a particular variable. It is used to find the solution to a differential equation.

2. How is the IVP used in science?

The IVP is used in science to model and solve various physical phenomena, such as the motion of objects or the behavior of chemical reactions. It is also used in engineering and economics to understand and predict complex systems.

3. What are the key components of the IVP?

The key components of the IVP are the differential equation, the initial conditions, and the domain or range of the variable. These components are used to determine the unique solution to the problem.

4. Can the IVP have multiple solutions?

No, the IVP can only have one unique solution. This is because the initial conditions provide specific values for the variable, leading to a single solution to the differential equation.

5. How does the IVP differ from the boundary value problem?

The IVP and the boundary value problem (BVP) are both methods used to solve differential equations. However, the IVP has specific initial conditions, while the BVP has specific conditions at both the beginning and end of the domain. This means that the BVP can have multiple solutions, while the IVP has only one unique solution.