You're too much of a physicist if

• Thread starter Edgardo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicist
In summary, if you are constantly analyzing and breaking down everyday situations using complex mathematical equations and theories, questioning the laws of physics in everyday life, and speaking in technical jargon that goes over most people's heads, chances are you're too much of a physicist. This level of scientific thinking and curiosity is a sure sign that you have a deep passion for the laws of the universe and a mind geared towards problem-solving and understanding the world around us.
Edgardo
Hi all,

I thought it would be funny to open a thread like this.
So feel free to post!You're too much of a physicist if ...

...if you wear a http://www.oceanoptics.com/applications/tshirt.asp on it.
...if you name your cat "Schrödinger".
...if you read "Quarkbällchen" and think of quarks. ("Quarkbällchen" (German word) are dough-balls with curd inside)
...if you write "1 [tex]\hbar our[/tex]" instead of "1 hour"

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
...if you actually get all those jokes.

Also:

...if you give long, detailed answers to benign questions like "How does this work?"
At parties.

Last edited:
Chi Meson said:
...if you give long, detailed answers to benign questions like "How does this work?"
At parties.

Haha oh god. I stay away from answering these questions for this very reason.

... if, when approaching a red traffic light, you speed up even faster, hoping that it'll appear green.

:)

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
... if, when approaching a red traffic light, you speed up even faster, hoping that it'll appear green.
...and you actually say this to the cop, 3 minutes later.

... you spend your first ocean cruise in your cabin jury-rigging a motion recorder.

what! what!

When I was in grad school, I heard that one of the women among us who normally wore jeans and T-shirts once needed a nice dress to wear for some formal function. She called up a local department store, asked about what they had available, then, "can you give me an order of magnitude estimate on the price?"

This was long before you could simply browse the store's Web site to find out such things, of course.

If your're having a half-life crisis...

seerongo said:
If your're having a half-life crisis...

LoL. A couple of years ago I was playing Half-Life (the pc game) and one day I realized that the name "Half-Life" comes from nuclear physics. The http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/57/Half-life-cover.jpg made sense then.

Last edited by a moderator:
You use your wave physics textbook as a mousepad ? (guess what : the desk surface doesn't seem to be a good one...)

... other people keep away from one of the junior common rooms for the entire year because the blackboard is covered in equations you scribbled down whilst doing work in a group.

For those who do computer programming...they think in hexadecimal instead of decimal. :biggrin:

Or if they confuse Halloween and Christmas because 31 OCT = 25 DEC.

jtbell said:
Or if they confuse Halloween and Christmas because 31 OCT = 25 DEC.
Tee hee.

Related to You're too much of a physicist if

What does it mean to be "too much of a physicist"?

Being "too much of a physicist" means that you have an excessive or obsessive interest in physics, often to the point where it affects your daily life and interactions with others.

What are some common signs that someone is "too much of a physicist"?

Some common signs that someone is "too much of a physicist" include constantly talking about physics, using technical jargon in everyday conversation, and having a strong preference for logical and analytical thinking.

Is being "too much of a physicist" a bad thing?

Not necessarily. While it can lead to social awkwardness and difficulty connecting with others who are not interested in physics, being "too much of a physicist" also indicates a strong passion and dedication to the field.

Can someone still be a successful physicist without being "too much of a physicist"?

Yes, absolutely. Being "too much of a physicist" is not a requirement for being a successful physicist. Some of the most renowned physicists have been able to balance their passion for physics with other interests and social skills.

How can I balance my love for physics with other aspects of my life?

Finding a healthy balance between your passion for physics and other aspects of your life can be challenging, but it is important for overall well-being. Some strategies include setting boundaries for yourself, finding a support system of like-minded individuals, and taking breaks from thinking about physics to engage in other activities.