Yukawa Potential: Find Value of Parameter 'a

In summary, the person is having trouble finding the value of a in the Yukawa potential and has made a guess that it may be the radius of gold. They mention that the problem statement explicitly states the value of a, but they are still confused. In the end, they realize that A refers to an angstrom and not a special value.
MaestroBach
Homework Statement
Given in the picture
Relevant Equations
None
So this is the problem:
f506TxI.png

My only point of confusion right now is in what the value of a is... I'm having trouble finding it anywhere, and online stuff about the yukawa potential just states that it's a parameter.

Thanks for any help!

Edit: It might be worth noting that gamma equals kq1q2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try reading the problem statement more carefully.

vela said:
Try reading the problem statement more carefully.

I guess I should have stated that my only guess is that it's the radius of gold, based on what it's saying, but I'm not confident in my guess.

I'm not sure how you're missing it, but the problem statement explicitly tells you the value of ##a##.

vela said:
I'm not sure how you're missing it, but the problem statement explicitly tells you the value of ##a##.
Oh wait.. is that A an angstrom??

Edit: I guess I really haven't seen the symbol for an angstrom in a while... I thought it was some special value lol, thanks for dealing with this

MaestroBach said:
Oh wait.. is that A an angstrom??

Edit: I guess I really haven't seen the symbol for an angstrom in a while... I thought it was some special value lol, thanks for dealing with this
Yes, but in your defense the symbol was badly rendered. It should've been Å.

Likes vela

1. What is the Yukawa Potential?

The Yukawa Potential is a mathematical model that describes the interaction between two particles, based on the exchange of a virtual particle known as the "Yukawa Particle". It is used in the field of quantum field theory to explain the force between nucleons and in the field of nuclear physics to describe the nuclear force.

2. How is the Yukawa Potential calculated?

The Yukawa Potential is calculated using the formula: V(r) = -a * (e^(-r/λ))/r, where a is the parameter we are trying to find the value for, r is the distance between the two particles, and λ is the Compton wavelength of the exchanged particle. This formula takes into account the attractive and repulsive forces between the two particles.

3. What does the parameter 'a' represent in the Yukawa Potential formula?

The parameter 'a' represents the strength of the interaction between the two particles. It is a measure of the potential energy between the particles and is dependent on the type of particles involved.

4. How is the value of the parameter 'a' determined?

The value of the parameter 'a' is typically determined through experiments and observations. Scientists use various methods such as scattering experiments and particle accelerators to study the interactions between particles and measure the strength of the force. These measurements are then used to calculate the value of 'a' in the Yukawa Potential formula.

5. What is the significance of finding the value of the parameter 'a' in the Yukawa Potential formula?

Finding the value of the parameter 'a' allows us to understand and predict the behavior of particles and their interactions. It is an important factor in understanding the fundamental forces of nature and plays a crucial role in various fields of physics such as nuclear physics, particle physics, and quantum field theory.