Decay into electron-positron pair in Yukawa theory

In summary, the exercise in Srednicki's QFT book asks to calculate the probability amplitude for decay of a scalar into an electron-positron pair, focusing on the conditions that make the amplitude zero. According to the solution, this occurs when the two fermion spins are opposite due to parity forcing the orbital angular momentum "l" of the pair to be odd. The resulting state after the decay should be a combination of states with different orbital numbers, including the case where the electron-positron pair has spins aligned on the X axis. This is the only way to construct an overall singlet state. Additionally, the total angular momentum determines whether the spins are aligned or anti-aligned, not the component in a particular direction.
Alhaurin

Homework Statement

I have a question regarding exercise 48.4-b in Srednicki's QFT book (the chapter is related to Yukawa theories). I have the official solution + explanation to the problem but I still do not fully understand the reasoning used in it, so perhaps you can help me.

In the excersise we are asked to calculate the probability amplitude for decay of a scalar into an electron-positron pair, focusing on the conditions that make the amplitude zero. The pair's three momentum goes along the Z axis and spin is quantized on the X axis.

According to the solution, we get zero when the two fermion spins are opposite. The reason for this would be that parity forces the orbital angular momentum "l" of the pair to be odd (l=1): since the original particle had zero spin then necessarily the particles must have spins aligned on X to overcome the non-zero orbital angular momentum.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I do not understand about that answer is that, as far as I know, the orbital angular momentum referred to in the problem is the quantum number "l" and not the value of angular momentun on the X direction. This means that theoretically the electron-positron pair could be in a |l,m_l> = |1,0> orbital, have spins in opposite directions and produce a zero spin value in the X direction.

In fact, the resulting state after the decay should be a combination of states with orbital numbers |l,m_l> = |1,-1>,|1,0>,|1,1> to preserve total angular momentum. That would include the aforementioned case where |l,m_l> = |1,0> and |s,m_s> = |1,0> (the latter representing the overall spin state of both particles).

My only guess is that perhaps the |l,m_l> = |1,0> orbital, when expressed in momentum space, has no momentum aligned in the Z axis and so for the purposes of this problem we should only focus on |l,m_l> = |1,-1>,|1,1>. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find useful information on the momentum space properties of orbitals and so I cannot verify this idea.

Physics news on Phys.org
It does not matter which direction you select for the spins or for the direction. The only thing which is important from a symmetry point of view is that the final state transforms in the same way as the initial state. If the orbital state has l = 1, then the electron spins must align symmetrically into a l=1 state which in turn anti-aligns with the orbital state to give a total angular momentum of zero. This is the only way in which you can construct an overall singlet state.

Orodruin said:
It does not matter which direction you select for the spins or for the direction. The only thing which is important from a symmetry point of view is that the final state transforms in the same way as the initial state. If the orbital state has l = 1, then the electron spins must align symmetrically into a l=1 state which in turn anti-aligns with the orbital state to give a total angular momentum of zero. This is the only way in which you can construct an overall singlet state.

Thank you very much for your answer.

Unfortunately I still do not understand why the pair cannot be in a |10> orbital state. According to Clebsh-Gordan coefficients, |00> = C1*|11>*|1-1> + C2*|10>*|10> + C3*|1-1>|11>, where the first |xy> state in |xy>*|ab> is the orbital wavefunction and |ab> the total spin state. Wouldn't the presence of C2*|10>*|10> mean that a quantum state with both spins antialigned (resulting in a total spin state |10>) be possible?

Alhaurin said:
Thank you very much for your answer.

Unfortunately I still do not understand why the pair cannot be in a |10> orbital state. According to Clebsh-Gordan coefficients, |00> = C1*|11>*|1-1> + C2*|10>*|10> + C3*|1-1>|11>, where the first |xy> state in |xy>*|ab> is the orbital wavefunction and |ab> the total spin state. Wouldn't the presence of C2*|10>*|10> mean that a quantum state with both spins antialigned (resulting in a total spin state |10>) be possible?
The |10> state has the electron spins aligned, not anti-aligned. It is only the anti-symmetric |00> state which has the electron spins anti-aligned.

In other words, it is the total angular momentum l which tells you whether the spins are aligned or anti-aligned, not the component in a particular direction. You can get a state with a particular component equal to zero by simply rotating another state (given integer spin). Only the total angular momentum is invariant under rotations.

1. What is the Yukawa theory?

The Yukawa theory is a quantum field theory that describes the behavior of elementary particles and their interactions. It was developed by Japanese physicist Hideki Yukawa in the 1930s and is often used to explain the strong nuclear force between protons and neutrons in an atomic nucleus.

2. What is decay into electron-positron pair?

In the Yukawa theory, decay into electron-positron pair refers to a process in which a particle, such as a proton, transforms into an electron and a positron (the antiparticle of the electron). This process occurs through the exchange of a virtual particle called a meson.

3. How does the Yukawa theory explain this decay?

The Yukawa theory explains this decay by postulating the existence of a new particle, the meson, which mediates the strong nuclear force. The meson carries a specific charge that allows for the transformation of a proton into an electron and a positron.

4. What is the significance of decay into electron-positron pair in Yukawa theory?

This decay process is significant because it provides a way to study the strong nuclear force and the behavior of particles within the atomic nucleus. It also helps to explain the stability of atoms and the properties of matter.

5. Is the decay into electron-positron pair a common occurrence?

In the context of the Yukawa theory, this decay process is not a common occurrence. It is a rare process that only occurs in certain circumstances, such as in high-energy particle collisions or within the atomic nucleus. However, it is an important phenomenon to study in order to better understand the fundamental forces and particles that make up our universe.