Zener diode as voltage regulator.

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a zener diode in a circuit with a variable load resistor and a 15VDC source. It is observed that when the load resistor is too small, the zener diode is no longer working in its breakdown region and the output voltage drops to 0. However, when the load resistor is within a certain range, the zener diode regulates the output voltage at a nearly constant level. There is also a discussion about the threshold voltage of the zener diode and its role in the circuit.
ttttrigg3r
The following link is a picture of my zener diode set up with variable load resistor. The Source is 15VDC and the first resistor is a constant 330 ohm. When I use 470ohm up to 15Kohm for the Load resistor RL, I get a 6V voltage drop across the diode. However, when I go down to 330 ohm for RL, I get Vo to be 0.

I have come up with an explanation for this, but I'm not too sure about it. Please read over and correct me if I am wrong.

When the load resistor falls out of range(too small) it takes all of the current away from the zener diode therefore the zener diode is no longer working in its breakdown region. If the diode is within range (390 ohm and above), there is enough current flowing through the diode to kickstart the diode and bring it to conducting state(breakdown).

Thank you for your help. Below is a picture of the way I have the circuit set up. On the right side is where the load resistor RL would be.

http://hades.mech.northwestern.edu/images/7/74/Zener_voltage_regulator.gif

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you directly measure the output of the voltage source when the output of your circuit dropped to zero (to confirm that it was still producing 15V)? It may have curtailed its output if has short-circuit protection or current limiting.

The important characteristic of the zener diode is its threshold voltage. If it "sees" less than its threshold voltage, it looks like an open circuit. One would then expect the output of your circuit to follow the potential determined by the voltage divider comprised of the series resistor R and the load resistance.

ok I interpreted my data wrong. Forget what I originally posted. Here's what I got for my data. For resistor ranging from 300 to 15K ohms, the voltage ranged from 6.07-6.18V. It seems that the zener diode is working in breakdown voltage and holds almost constant voltage for a wide range of resistance of RL. Am I correct in saying that the Zener is regulating the Voltage drop across RL?

I would write that it is regulating the output voltage Vout.

ttttrigg3r said:
ok I interpreted my data wrong. Forget what I originally posted. Here's what I got for my data. For resistor ranging from 300 to 15K ohms, the voltage ranged from 6.07-6.18V. It seems that the zener diode is working in breakdown voltage and holds almost constant voltage for a wide range of resistance of RL. Am I correct in saying that the Zener is regulating the Voltage drop across RL?

No. See previous poster.

What is a Zener diode?

A Zener diode is a type of semiconductor device that is designed to allow current to flow in the reverse direction when a certain voltage, known as the "Zener voltage," is reached. This makes it useful for regulating voltage in electronic circuits.

How does a Zener diode work as a voltage regulator?

A Zener diode works as a voltage regulator by maintaining a constant voltage across its terminals, even when the input voltage varies. It does this by allowing current to flow in the reverse direction when the input voltage exceeds the Zener voltage, effectively limiting the output voltage to the Zener voltage.

What are the advantages of using a Zener diode as a voltage regulator?

Using a Zener diode as a voltage regulator has several advantages. It is a simple and cost-effective solution for regulating voltage in electronic circuits. It also has a fast response time and can handle high levels of current, making it suitable for a wide range of applications.

What are the limitations of using a Zener diode as a voltage regulator?

While Zener diodes have many advantages, they also have some limitations. They have a limited voltage range and may not be suitable for regulating very high or very low voltages. They also have a high power dissipation, which means they may get hot and require additional cooling.

What are some common applications of Zener diodes as voltage regulators?

Zener diodes are commonly used as voltage regulators in electronic devices such as power supplies, battery chargers, and voltage stabilizers. They are also used in automotive electronics, telecommunications equipment, and other electronic devices that require a stable and regulated voltage.