Zener diode circuit-variable voltage source

In summary, the zener has a breakdown voltage of 8.2 V if current is 75mA<=iz<=1A. If RL=9 Ω, then Rs must be 1.3612 Ω in order to have VL=8.2 V. However, Vb changes at about +10% in relation with the nomimal operating current, displayed in the data sheet which is 12 V.
Rampart

Homework Statement

This diode zener has breakdown voltage equal to Vz=8.2V for currents: 75mA<=iz<=1A.If RL=9 Ω,how much must Rs be,so that VL=Vz=8.2V,while Vb changes at about _+10% in relation with the nomimal operating current,displayed in the data sheet which is 12V?

gWrhlJS.png

The Attempt at a Solution

It is located in the pdf below.Also i have to apologize if the exercise wasn't totally understood,but i did my best in order to translate it from my language.Thank you in advance for your time and effort.

Attachments

• New Doc 31.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 366
Physics news on Phys.org
Do a check of your results. The load current ##I_L## is fixed at:

##I_L = \frac{V_z}{R_L} = \frac{8.2 V}{9\Omega} = 0.911 A##.

If ##V_b## is at its maximum of 13.2 V and ##R_s## is at your minimum value of 1.3612 Ω then the supply current is

##i_s = \frac{13.2 V - 8.2 V}{1.3612 Ω} = 3.673 A##

which means that the zener needs to conduct ##i_s - I_L = 2.762 A## , exceeding the zener's maximum current of 1 A.

At first let me thank you sir for your reply.Now as far as the exercise is concerned yes the numbers aren't right if Rs=1,3612Ω and Vb=13.2V but who said they were.I just found the set for Rs.Of course the numbers cannot be right for each element of the set Rs for each element of the set Vb.But surely there is an element in the set of Rs,which in combination with at least one element in the set of Vb, gives me the right numbers.
Or
Have i understood wrong the exercise?Maybe i am asked to find a set for Rs(or a specific number) with which,for every Vb that belongs to the set Vb,the numbers must be always right?Because if that is the case then,well dang :P

In a practical situation the idea would be to find a value (or range of values) for ##R_s## that would be safe for the full range of ##V_b##. That is the approach that I would advocate.

Then this exercise got to a new level.I don't believe i can find the right range by substituting or by approaching values and trying.I must be missing a relation or sth.Anyway i will give it some thought.Thank you again sir.

Hint:

Suppose you were to find an allowed range of values for Rs when Vb is at its low value: What is Rs if Iz is 0.75 A? What is it if Iz is 1 A? Since that's the allowed range for the zener current, the zener would be safe under low voltage conditions with Rs in that range.

Do the same for when Vb is at its high value. Do the two ranges for Rs overlap?

Yes sir they do.I found 2,6178<=Rs<=2,6399.Actually it is not the right right answer as some values are missing, because of the approaches i took to the numbers in order to help myself.But it is somewhere there :)

gneill said:
Hint:

Suppose you were to find an allowed range of values for Rs when Vb is at its low value: What is Rs if Iz is 0.75 A? What is it if Iz is 1 A? Since that's the allowed range for the zener current, the zener would be safe under low voltage conditions with Rs in that range.

Do the same for when Vb is at its high value. Do the two ranges for Rs overlap?
Correction: line 1 should read "... if Iz is 0.075A."

NascentOxygen said:
Correction: line 1 should read "... if Iz is 0.075A."
Whoops. You're right. My bad :oops:

1. What is a Zener diode circuit-variable voltage source?

A Zener diode circuit-variable voltage source is a type of electrical circuit that uses a Zener diode as a voltage regulator. It is designed to provide a constant output voltage regardless of changes in input voltage or current.

2. How does a Zener diode circuit-variable voltage source work?

In a Zener diode circuit-variable voltage source, the Zener diode is placed in reverse bias mode, which allows it to maintain a constant voltage drop across its terminals. This voltage drop remains stable even as the input voltage or current fluctuates, providing a stable output voltage.

3. What are the advantages of using a Zener diode circuit-variable voltage source?

One of the main advantages of using a Zener diode circuit-variable voltage source is its ability to provide a constant and stable output voltage, making it useful for applications that require precise voltage regulation. It is also simple and inexpensive to implement, making it a popular choice for many electronic circuits.

4. What are the limitations of a Zener diode circuit-variable voltage source?

One limitation of a Zener diode circuit-variable voltage source is that it can only regulate voltage up to a certain limit, known as the breakdown voltage. If the input voltage exceeds this limit, the Zener diode may fail and cause the output voltage to fluctuate. Additionally, Zener diodes have a limited power handling capacity, so they may not be suitable for high power applications.

5. Where are Zener diode circuit-variable voltage sources commonly used?

Zener diode circuit-variable voltage sources are commonly used in electronic devices that require precise voltage regulation, such as power supplies, battery chargers, and voltage stabilizers. They are also used in circuits that require protection against voltage spikes or surges, such as in automotive electronics and telecommunications equipment.