Zero phase shift Op-Amp bandpass filter design

In summary, an inverting amplifier design is not feasible to achieve a zero phase shift across the 20Hz - 20kHz passband for a standard second or fourth order filter.
kyle111

Homework Statement

"design a band pass circuit having a midband gain of 20 dB with -3 dB frequencies at 20 Hz and 20 KHz the amplifier should not produce any phase shift." does midband gain strictly apply to voltage gain (because that's how i look at it)? I was going to use a common collector amplifier to achieve the 0 phase shift but i don't think i can get the correct gain with that approach. all i really need here is advise or options, i can solve the hard numbers myself I think.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
HI kyle111, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Your thread title says "OP AMP" (which is not specific enough for the posting rules, by the way. I'll change it for you this time) so presumably you are meant to design a bandpass filter employing op-amps.

Gain usually implies voltage gain, although there are circuits that purposely convert voltage to current and vice versa and their transfer functions are based on a voltage/current or current/voltage ratio. I think it's safe to say in this case that you are looking at a voltage gain of 20 dB for the passband.

You'll want to do some research on low (or zero) phase shift filters. Once you have a handle on the topic you can show us what you've tried.

gneill said:
You'll want to do some research on low (or zero) phase shift filters.
kyle111 said:
the amplifier should not produce any phase shift.
It needs to be established whether the zero phase shift criterion is met simply by using an amplifier stage which is itself non-inverting, or whether this specification directs that the filter show no phase shift across its 20Hz - 20kHz passband.

I think the latter is not achievable, not with a standard second or fourth order filter.

I think, the requirement of "zero phase shift" simply means that a non-inverting circuit design is required (for examply: Sallen-Key topology) rather than an inverting amplifier design (as "multi-feedback").

Related to Zero phase shift Op-Amp bandpass filter design

1. What is a zero phase shift Op-Amp bandpass filter?

A zero phase shift Op-Amp bandpass filter is a type of electronic filter that is used to selectively pass a specific range of frequencies while attenuating all other frequencies. It is called a "zero phase shift" filter because it maintains a constant phase response across the entire passband, meaning that all frequencies within the passband are shifted by the same amount.

2. How does a zero phase shift Op-Amp bandpass filter work?

A zero phase shift Op-Amp bandpass filter is typically composed of two stages: a high-pass filter and a low-pass filter. The high-pass filter blocks low frequencies, while the low-pass filter blocks high frequencies. The combination of these two filters creates a passband in the middle where the desired frequencies can pass through with minimal attenuation. The Op-Amp, or operational amplifier, is used to amplify the signal and maintain the constant phase response.

3. What are the advantages of using a zero phase shift Op-Amp bandpass filter?

The main advantage of using a zero phase shift Op-Amp bandpass filter is its ability to maintain a constant phase response, which is important in applications where the timing and synchronization of signals is critical. It also has a high passband gain and a low input impedance, making it suitable for amplifying weak signals.

4. How do I design a zero phase shift Op-Amp bandpass filter?

The design of a zero phase shift Op-Amp bandpass filter involves selecting the appropriate values for the resistors and capacitors in the high-pass and low-pass filter stages. The cutoff frequencies of these filters should be chosen to create a passband in the desired frequency range. The Op-Amp gain and input impedance should also be taken into consideration. There are several online tools and software programs available to assist with the design process.

5. What are some common applications of zero phase shift Op-Amp bandpass filters?

Zero phase shift Op-Amp bandpass filters are commonly used in audio equipment, such as speakers and amplifiers, to remove unwanted frequencies and improve the sound quality. They are also used in communication systems, such as radio and television, to filter out noise and interference. In addition, they are used in medical equipment to isolate specific signals from the body and in scientific instruments for accurate data measurements.