Zinc Chloride: The Lewis Acid with Electrophilic Properties

• Thread starter hariharan venkatasu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid Zinc
In summary: According to the Aufbau principle, the electrons fill the atomic orbitals of the lowest energy level first. So in Zn2+, the 4 p orbital will be filled first.
hariharan venkatasu
Zinc chloride is Electrophilic and so acts as a Lewis acid.This characteristic is due to it's ability to accept electrons to it's 4 d orbital.My question is why it receives electrons to it's 4 d orbital when 4 p remain empty( according to Aufbau diagram)?Are there any other d block element capable of accepting electrons to 4 d orbital leaving 4 p and 5 s orbitals ?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
hariharan venkatasu said:
This characteristic is due to it's ability to accept electrons to it's 4 d orbital.
Says who? This should be 3d.

edit: 4s, not 3d.

According to the configuration of zinc it is [Ar]3 d^ 10,4 s^2.As such there is no room for fresh electrons to enter 3 d .So the next option is 4 p. could you make this clear?

What is the electron configuration of zinc in ZnCl2? Hint: it’s not what you’ve written.

Likes chemisttree
TeethWhitener said:
What is the electron configuration of zinc in ZnCl2? Hint: it’s not what you’ve written.
Beat me to it! 👍🏻

I am stuck here.Please help.

You have written the electronic configuration for neutral zinc. In the compound zinc chloride, is zinc neutral?

I agree that in Zn Cl 2 Zn is not neutral.It has donated electrons to chlorine forming Zn ion. I am appending a post from internet which mentions about 4 d orbital which I referred initially:-
The basic characteristics of a Lewis Acid is property of gaining electron

In ZnCl2 Electronic configuration of zinc is 3d ^10 so it has a tendency to accept electrons in its empty 4d orbitals so it act as Lewis acid

I hope this helps.

In ZnCl2 Electronic configuration of zinc is 3d ^10 so it has a tendency to accept electrons in its empty 4d orbitals so it act as Lewis acid
No, the 4d orbitals are way too high in energy to accept electrons. The zinc in ZnCl2 is Zn2+. If the electronic configuration of neutral zinc is [Ar]4s23d10 and in Zn2+ is [Ar]3d10, what orbital in Zn2+ do you think will accept electrons?

Thank you for your reply.As a Lewis acid it will accept extra electrons and I feel electrons will enter 4 p orbitals.I don't whether I am right.Please enlighten me.

Let’s try again: neutral zinc is [Ar]4s23d10 and Zn2+ is [Ar]3d10. If Zn2+ accepts an electron pair as a Lewis acid, which orbital will the electrons go into?

As I wrote to you earlier the electrons should enter the empty 4 p orbital.Am I right?

Last edited:
No you aren’t. From your Aufbau diagram, which electrons fill after 3d10?

According to aufbau diagram the next orbital to be filled is 4 p and then 5 s

Let’s try this the other way. If you start with neutral zinc [Ar]4s23d10 and you lose two electrons to get Zn2+ [Ar]3d10, which orbital became empty after the loss of the two electrons?

According to aufbau diagram the next orbital to be filled is 4 p and then 5 s
Right. So you agree that 4p is higher energy than 4s? Both are empty in Zn+2.

Still I am unable to know which orbital fresh electrons going to fill after 3 d in Zn+2

Still I am unable to know which orbital fresh electrons going to fill after 3 d in Zn+2
Start by answering my question in post 15.

According to your post 15 the 4 s orbital is empty after loss of two electrons

Last edited:
According to your post 15 the 4 s orbital is empty after loss of two electrons
Ok so now read @chemisttree 's post 16. What is the lowest energy empty orbital in Zn2+?

According to post 16 of chemisttree lowest empty orbital is 4 s in Zn+2

According to post 16 of chemisttree lowest empty orbital is 4 s in Zn+2
Ok so according to Aufbau, which orbital in Zn2+ gets filled first?

So according to aubau diagram 4 p is going to be filled first

So according to aubau diagram 4 p is going to be filled first
What is the Aufbau principle, in your own words?

TeethWhitener said:
What is the Aufbau principle, in your own words?
I think Hari has it now. We should let this info stew for a while until Hari has the epiphany I know is coming. Anything further is just trolling...

Likes berkeman
Aufbau principle, as I understand, says about addition of electrons to orbitals.Lower orbitals fill before higher orbitals do.Still I haven't got the answer to my problem.

Lower orbitals fill before higher orbitals do

"Lower" is quite ambiguous, please refresh what the Aufbau principle really says.

Likes jim mcnamara and hariharan venkatasu
Aufbau principle says,in the ground state of an atom or ion,electrons fill atomic orbitals of the lowest energy levels first before occupying higher energy levels

Even after so many posts I haven't received a final reply.Could you please help me?

That is because we are trying to get you to see the answer.
1. put these, s , p, d, in order from lowest to highest energy level
2. Use the diagrams everyone has shown you to choose the lowest available energy level.
3. THE ANSWER IS NOT p.

If you do not come back with an answer, we are going to assume you are acting in bad faith. The thread will be locked. PF is not a homework answer machine, we are here to help you learn.

In which case I feel 4 s is the lowest energy orbital

Yes. So what what was the difficulty understanding that the electrons would occupy the lowest energy orbitals?

Thank you for your reply.I was wondering how the electrons once left 4 s orbital leaving the zinc ion can rejoin the ion again?

Thank you for your reply.I was wondering how the electrons once left 4 s orbital leaving the zinc ion can rejoin the ion again?
Your original question/observation was that ZnCl2 was a lewis acid because it accepted electrons into its 4d orbitals rather than the 4p orbitals. Are you now saying that you don’t understand how Zn+2 accepts electrons at all?

Last edited:
Also, kinda iffy applying Aufbau to non-ground state atoms.

ZnCl2 is only partially an ionic compound. The Zn-Cl bonds have significant covalent character.

Perhaps your question should have been, “Why is ZnCl2 able to share additional electrons?” The s orbital is being used in the bond with chloride so the hand waving answer is that it can accept additional electron pairs (definition of Lewis Acid) to complete its octet. It has 4 electrons in its outer shell and would like an additional two pair. For electron pair donors, this would mean another two species capable of sharing two additional pairs are possible. Zinc is known to form tetrahedral complexes so that tracks with the analysis. In the case where zinc is tetrahedral it is due to the 4s and 4p orbitals hybridizing.

Zinc also forms trigonal bipyramid, square pyramid and octahedral complexes. In these complexes it is obvious that empty d orbitals are involved.

Your question was very general regarding zinc’s Lewis Acid character and the simplest answer to that question is that it is a cation that can accept an electron pair into its 4s.

Likes HAYAO