What is the next term of the given sequence...

In summary: But in all seriousness, IQ is not necessarily a measure of intelligence, it's simply a measure of one's ability to perform well on IQ tests. And as for the next term in the sequence, the pattern is that each term is the reverse of a perfect square, so the next term would be 982, the reverse of 289. And as for the question about the circle, the answer is 32 areas. In summary, the next term in the given sequence is 982, which follows the pattern of the reverse of perfect squares. The formula for finding the number of areas in a circle with n points on the circumference is 2^(n-1).
Aladin
What is the next term of the given sequence..
1,4,9,61,52, 63, 94, 46, 18, 001, 121, 441, 961, 691, 522, 652, ...(?)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Is the tenth term supposed to be 001?

Yes, and Aladin just fixed it. Anyhow, each term simply represents perfect squares with digits reversed; thus the next term is 172 with digits reversed (i.e., 982). This thread probably belongs in h*ttp://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33

Last edited:
Yes it is supposed to be 001! What is happening is that you are finding the square numbers and reversing the order of digits! So the next number would be 982.

Piece of cake...

haha, nice one mtanti!

according to the lagrange interpolation theore, any finite number of n numbers can be the first n elements of a sequence defiuned by a polynomial of degree at most n-1, so there is no way to guess the formula for a given sequence unless you specify that the formula is a polynomial of degree at most n-1.

e.g. the sequence 2,4,6,8, is obtained not just from the formula a(n) = 2n, for n=1,2,3,4, but also from the formula a(n) =

2(x-2)(x-3)(x-4)(x-5)/(1-2)(1-3)(1-4)(1-5)

+ 4(x-1)(x-3)(x-4)(x-5)/(2-1)(2-3)(2-4)(2-5)

+6(x-1)(x-2)(x-4)(x-5)/(3-1)(3-2)(3-4)(3-5)

+8(x-1)(x-2)(x-3)(x-5)/(4-1)(4-2)(4-3)(4-5)

+11(x-1)(x-2)(x-3)(x-4).

but this foprmula gives a(5) = 11, instead of 10.

so what is lagrange's IQ?

And what does guessing what answer you wanted have to do with IQ?

Here's an easier one: If you mark the circumference of a circle with n points, NOT equally spaced, and draw all lines connecting them, you divide the face of the circle into areas (the purpose of "NOT equally spaced" is that no more than 2 lines cross at a point so you get the maximum possible number of areas). With 1 point, one area; 2 points, 2 areas; 3 points, 4 areas; 5 points, 8 areas; 9 points, 16 areas. How many areas do you get with 6 points? (there is a simple formula.)

Aladin said:
What is the next term of the given sequence..
1,4,9,61,52, 63, 94, 46, 18, 001, 121, 441, 961, 691, 522, 652, ...(?)

http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/A002942

HallsofIvy said:
Here's an easier one: If you mark the circumference of a circle with n points, NOT equally spaced, and draw all lines connecting them, you divide the face of the circle into areas (the purpose of "NOT equally spaced" is that no more than 2 lines cross at a point so you get the maximum possible number of areas). With 1 point, one area; 2 points, 2 areas; 3 points, 4 areas; 5 points, 8 areas; 9 points, 16 areas. How many areas do you get with 6 points? (there is a simple formula.)

http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/A000127

Last edited by a moderator:
Mtanti ! are you sure that the next term is 982.If it is right then how did you find this ?please tell me.

IQ test: i am a 64 yer old math prof, with brown hair, and arthritis. i like to blog on physics forums and read comic books. my favorite wines include lescours "L", beychevelle, terrabianca campaccio, and ? [what wine am i thinking of?]

and what is your IQ?

Last edited:
ans

982 must b.squares in reverse

bomba923 said:
Probably read my https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1071552&postcount=3, posted here about an hour before mtanti's post :rolleyes: (remember to highlight my post to read it!)

Hey! I had no idea about that! At first I thought about squares with modulo arithmetic as it was evident that it involved squares from the first few terms. Then I started seeing 61 and 18 and I started suspecting the reverse thing... So I tried it myself on my calculator and started revealing the sequence!

mtanti said:
Hey! I had no idea about that!
uhh sure...

And neither did (about three days later)
the_next_einstein said:
982 must b.squares in reverse
:uhh:

Last edited:
mathwonk said:
IQ test: i am a 64 yer old math prof, with brown hair, and arthritis. i like to blog on physics forums and read comic books. my favorite wines include lescours "L", beychevelle, terrabianca campaccio, and ? [what wine am i thinking of?]

and what is your IQ?

Ha trick question. The answer is beer!

What is the next term of the given sequence?

The next term of a sequence is the number that follows the previous numbers in a pattern or sequence. It is often found by applying a rule or formula to the previous terms.

How do you find the next term of a sequence?

To find the next term of a sequence, you need to look for a pattern or rule in the given sequence. This could involve adding or subtracting a constant number, multiplying or dividing by a constant number, or using a more complex formula.

What is the importance of finding the next term of a sequence?

Finding the next term of a sequence is important in mathematics because it helps us understand patterns and make predictions about future numbers in the sequence. It also allows us to solve problems and find missing numbers in a given sequence.

What happens if there is no clear pattern in a sequence?

If there is no clear pattern in a sequence, it may be considered a non-linear or random sequence. In this case, it may not be possible to accurately predict the next term without more information or context about the sequence.

Can a sequence have more than one possible next term?

Yes, a sequence can have more than one possible next term. This could occur if there are multiple patterns or rules that can be applied to the sequence, or if the sequence is non-linear and there is no definitive rule to follow.