Thinking about entering a chili contest

In summary: I don't know how to explain it.In summary, the participants in this conversation believe that traditional chili does not include bell peppers, that it should be hot, and that it is best enjoyed with beans and rice.
My chili is thick and consists only of

beef stew meat cut in small cubes
onion,
garlic,
salt,
chili powder,
HOT paprika,
ground cumin,
cayenne pepper,
oregano,
beer,
1 bay leaf,
Hunt's tomato sauce
a combination of finely chopped hot peppers of your choice

That's it. The trick is in the quantities and brands. No broth, no weird stuff, no salsa :bugeye: no corn or beans :eek: no tofu or Campbells tomato soup.

I *love* stuffed bell peppers, but won't eat them in chili, it changes the taste too drastically. In chli you should taste the meat and the spices. Done right, it's a truly rewarding experience.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
My chili is thick and consists only of

beef stew meat cut in small cubes
onion,
garlic,
salt,
chili powder,
HOT paprika,
ground cumin,
cayenne pepper,
oregano,
beer,
1 bay leaf,
Hunt's tomato sauce
a combination of finely chopped hot peppers of your choice

That's it. The trick is in the quantities and brands. No broth, no weird stuff, no salsa :bugeye: no corn or beans :eek: no tofu or Campbells tomato soup.

I *love* stuffed bell peppers, but won't eat them in chili, it changes the taste too drastically. In chli you should taste the meat and the spices. Done right, it's a truly rewarding experience.

I thought you said no tomato! :devil:

no she said no tomato in YOURS.
actually I've never seen such a hard headed Evo. She's usually so open minded, but not when it comes to chili. So take your chocolate and celery and follow THE recipie.

tribdog said:
no she said no tomato in YOURS.
Oh, I see, she wanted the tomato all for herself!

actually I've never seen such a hard headed Evo. She's usually so open minded, but not when it comes to chili. So take your chocolate and celery and follow THE recipie.
I don't ruin good chocolate by adding chili to it! That's those weirdos in Cincinnati (I'm so glad I don't live there any more!)

Moonbear said:
I thought you said no tomato! :devil:
No, I said that the original chili had no tomatoes in it, mine does.

Evo said:
The original chili didn't even have tomatoes, but I like a bit of tomato in my chili, but I still hold very true to the simple original recipes. The simpler, the better for chili.

Adding chocolate makes it mole (pronounced MO lay). Although a Mexican girl I worked with made a chicken mole with peanut butter that was out of this world. And when her grandma stewed a pig's head for homemade tamales, I was first in line to buy my batch. But her migas for breakfast were sooooo yummy. It's a soft flour tortilla filled with scrambled eggs, potatoes (boiled, cubed, then sauteed), chorizo, green chiles, and cheese. :!) :!) :!)

My muse at work announced today that he was going to enter his chili and would win - no contest. He's a former professional chef and his shrimp gumbo is the BEST IN THE WORLD. I thought mine was until I tried his. Mine is now second best.:frown:

So, battle lines have been drawn, it will be a fight to the death. I thought this was a slam dunk, but now I have REAL competition. He won't tell me what is in his chili. DAMN.

The spawn and child of Evo will be eating nothing but chili for the next few weeks, I need to perfect my recipe.

Last edited:
My mom tried putting chocolate in chili once and it was so disgusting...never again.

Evo said:
... I need to perfect my recipe.

Why not add some sun dried tomatoes.

Evo said:
No, I said that the original chili had no tomatoes in it, mine does.

Oh, I see. Well, we can forgive them; they didn't know any better way back then. :biggrin:

My plans for today were scrapped...sooooooo I'm makeing chili !

don't forget the celery

tribdog said:
don't forget the celery
and carrots.