Buy Telescope: Tips for Amateurs

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter The legend
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Telescope
In summary, the conversation is about a person looking for a descent priced telescope and asking for recommendations and specifications. The thread also includes warnings about buying cheap telescopes, advice on attending astronomy club meetings and star parties, and suggestions for books on amateur astronomy. The conversation emphasizes the importance of considering factors such as portability and goto features when shopping for a telescope, and recommends trying out different telescopes before making a purchase.
The legend
Hi guys!
I am planning to buy a telescope for a descent price. You see I'm totally amature and buying this telescope would be my first telescope itself. I sure have observed the night sky with binoculars and home made kinda simple telescopes but now I want to switch to something better.

So could anyone tell me in detail about buying a fairly descent priced telescope??
Good specifications would be most welcome!

Thanks for your help.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Here is the thread from when I got mine:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=308960

I can tell you that a giant aperture and reflecting model is definitely the way to go. However, I absolutely hate the equatorial mount on my scope, so you may want to look into a Dobsonian model.

The most important considerations when shopping for a scope are:
1. portability
2. goto
The 'new car smell' wears off in a hurry without these features. A modest catadioptic [5-6"] will will cost you around a grand. If you only have a few hundred bucks, try a dob. It will be fun for a few months. Shop around for a used cat first. There is a good chance you will enjoy it for years. Opitics do not wear out. Goto is a fantastic feature that should not be underestimated. Sort of like a troll motor compared to oars.

The legend said:
Umm thanks guys!
I have a good link of a good telescope from ebay
Though I haven't bought it!

http://orders.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ImportHubViewItem&itemid=310192382237

Well how do you think it is??
Well what are its defects and what's more??
Is is worth buying??
NOOO! Do not buy that! Cheap optics on a flimsy mount, and it will sit in a closet collecting dust.

Please attend a meeting or two of a local astronomy club, and let the members know that you are interested in getting a telescope. Often, they will have gear that they have "outgrown" or wish to upgrade from, so you can get a nice, well-tuned used telescope at a good price AND you get to try it out first. If the local club has a star party scheduled, GO. Dress warmly, arrive early, and help people set up their gear if they want a hand. This is the best way to evaluate the transport/storage requirements for various telescopes, and see if the complexity of set-up, cool-down time required, etc would be a problem for you. Plus, you get to look through all sorts of different instruments. Some people will gravitate toward big Dobsonian light-buckets, some folks will want the short-tubed "folded" catadioptric designs, and others may opt for smaller-aperture high-quality refractors (often the most expensive option, when you want world-class optics).

I have a 6" apochromatic refractor, and my finder/guidescope is a 3" apochromatic refractor. When I got my main scope, Astro-Physics was just getting started, prices were reasonable, and wait-times from order to delivery were less than a year. I didn't start out with high-end telescopes, but worked my way there through years of owning and using Newtonians and catadioptrics. Nobody should start out with high-end refractors unless they are made of money. ("Let's see, should I buy that new little Takahashi, or a new car?")

The link I posted is the same price as that ebay one and only about 150 times better...

The legend said:
Umm thanks guys!
I have a good link of a good telescope from ebay
Though I haven't bought it!

http://orders.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ImportHubViewItem&itemid=310192382237

Well how do you think it is??
Well what are its defects and what's more??
Is is worth buying??
That scope is *definitely not* worth $360. Here's a better one of the same style for $90 less:
http://www.telescope.com/control/te...spaceprobe-130-equatorial-reflector-telescope

What's better about the orion::
-Higher quality mount
-Bigger telescope

Or you could get this one for $8 more and get a computerized scope: http://www.telescope.com/control/te...r-130mm-computerized-goto-reflector-telescope

Those have a drawback, though, of not having a Barlow lens, but you can one separate for $45: http://www.telescope.com/control/accessories/barlow-lenses/1*25-inch-2x-orion-shorty-barlow-lens .

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
Please attend a meeting or two of a local astronomy club, and let the members know that you are interested in getting a telescope.

You should really do this. It is too easy to get the wrong scope and be disappointed with your multi-hundred dollar purchase that sits in the closet because it doesn't do what you'd hoped.

DaveC426913 said:
You should really do this. It is too easy to get the wrong scope and be disappointed with your multi-hundred dollar purchase that sits in the closet because it doesn't do what you'd hoped.

Too bad that we don't have any astronomy club in my town!
But thanks for the advice!

And yea
I did like your recommendation of the Orion telescope russ_waters.
Thanks to you too! I would consider that one worth buying.
I got a query
Can i transfer the images on my scope to my comp or laptop??

Well, a telescope doesn't come with a camera. Taking picutres with a telescope is an entirely different animal than just looking through one.

Legend you have got to find a regional astronomy club and go to a star-party. Most newbies have radically optimistic ideas of what they might see through an EP and you have to actually try some 'scopes to tame that. The pretty pictures in the ads and on boxes of department store 'scopes are the worst form of hype.

It sounds like you would really benefit from a night with an astronomy club. Also definitely consider taking some books out of the library or buying a book on amateur astronomy. This is the book that got me started with telescopes, I read it cover to cover it tells you almost everything you need to know (and trust me there is a lot you need to know): https://www.amazon.com/dp/1554073448/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Ken Fulton's book "The Light-Hearted Astronomer" is also a good read for newbies.

The legend said:
Too bad that we don't have any astronomy club in my town!
It is quite normal for clubs to spread themselves across more than one town. i.e. yeah, it's not unexpected that you'll have to go a little far afield. I live in a Megacity, and I have to go 10-20km to the nearest club.

It's still worth it.

Unless you live in the country with a great view from your backyard, you will be wasting your money on a big, clumsy scope. Save up for a better built portable scope that has good optics, is quick and easy to set up, and camera friendly. The mount should at least be sturdy enough to accommodate a digital camera. Yes, it will be pricey - probably 2k+ - but, if you are serious about astronomy, you will enjoy it much more than an elephant that lives in your closet.

DaveC426913 said:
It is quite normal for clubs to spread themselves across more than one town. i.e. yeah, it's not unexpected that you'll have to go a little far afield. I live in a Megacity, and I have to go 10-20km to the nearest club.

It's still worth it.

If its really worth it then i am on my way finding one!

Question 1:

What are the best telescopes for beginners?

The best telescopes for beginners are typically those with a larger aperture, which allows for better light-gathering capabilities and clearer images. Some popular options include the Celestron NexStar 5SE, Orion SkyQuest XT8, and Meade Instruments Infinity 102mm.

Question 2:

What is the ideal budget for purchasing a telescope?

The ideal budget for purchasing a telescope varies depending on the type and quality of telescope you are looking for. However, a general rule of thumb is to spend at least $200 to $500 for a decent beginner telescope, and up to several thousand dollars for more advanced models.

Question 3:

Do I need any additional accessories for my telescope?

It depends on the type of telescope you have and your personal preferences. Some essential accessories include eyepieces, a tripod, and a star map. Other optional accessories include a moon filter, a dew shield, and a telescope case for storage and transportation.

Question 4:

What celestial objects can I see with a telescope?

With a telescope, you can see a variety of celestial objects such as the moon, planets, stars, galaxies, and nebulae. The type and size of your telescope will determine the level of detail and clarity of these objects.

Question 5:

What are some tips for maintaining and caring for my telescope?

To maintain and care for your telescope, make sure to keep it clean and dry, store it in a safe and secure location, and regularly check and adjust its alignment. It is also important to read the manufacturer's instructions and handle the telescope with care to avoid any damage.