Perry framed; Political culture?

• News
  • Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
In summary: There are adverts on the radio here trying to get people to move to Texas and take jobs there. I can't imagine that they would be spending money trying to increase the number of unemployed in their...country?
Andre
It never stops to amaze me to see how some politics is all about dishonest deception

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andrewbolt/index.php/heraldsun/comments/the_framing_of_perry/

(Perry talks about a big black cloud of national debt, while it is framed that he is talking about Obama)

I wonder if such a tactic should not bounce on the perpetrator. How can you trust your own side, if it is blatantly distorting reality?

Disclaimer, I don't take any side in political discussions of other countries but I am genuinely amazed how you can live in such a deceptive political culture.

Physics news on Phys.org
Andre said:
It never stops to amaze me to see how some politics is all about dishonest deception

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andrewbolt/index.php/heraldsun/comments/the_framing_of_perry/

(Perry talks about a big black cloud of national debt, while it is framed that he is talking about Obama)

I wonder if such a tactic should not bounce on the perpetrator. How can you trust your own side, if it is blatantly distorting reality?

Disclaimer, I don't take any side in political discussions of other countries but I am genuinely amazed how you can live in such a deceptive political culture.

Are you criticizing how MSNBC covered that speech, or how politicians deceive people?

i'm sure you've heard about our FOX News channel? MSNBC is the Democrat version of FOX. they don't even pretend to be otherwise now. the entire evening lineup is just one host after another bashing the right.

each side watches their own idiot box and wonders how the other guy can be so stupid.

Andre said:

Both sides do it. That particular clip came from breitbart. Breitbart video editing is notorious.

The important thing is that the actual news presentations of Perry's statements were correct on both the liberal and conservative NEWS programs.

I don't pay much attention to the endless babble of the talking heads and their individual shows. Both sides feed on the he said she said garbage.

Proton Soup said:
i'm sure you've heard about our FOX News channel? MSNBC is the Democrat version of FOX. they don't even pretend to be otherwise now. the entire evening lineup is just one host after another bashing the right.

each side watches their own idiot box and wonders how the other guy can be so stupid.

Sen. Rockefeller was right when he said it would be a service to the country to lose both.

A lot of stuff is CNN is garbage well. I had hope when Sanchez was canned that they may go to a real news format for the noon hour, but it has quickly degenerated into fluff. I still like Wolf but not much else.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's only wrong when MSNBC does it.

Willowz said:
It's only wrong when MSNBC does it.

Considering msnbc is usually "wrong" (IMO) - could you be more specific?

edward said:
The important thing is that the actual news presentations of Perry's statements were correct on both the liberal and conservative NEWS programs.
So Special Ed on MSNBC is not a news program? Ok, I agree, but then what "liberal" news program do you have in mind?

mheslep said:
The more widely spread and ongoing baloney program with regards to Perry and Texas is the attempt to characterize the truly remarkable Texas jobs boom as a myth. If fact, http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...0710070472.html?mod=WSJ_Opinion_AboveLEFTTop"

There are adverts on the radio here trying to get people to move to Texas and take jobs there. I can't imagine that they would be spending money trying to increase the number of unemployed in their state.

TheStatutoryApe said:
There are adverts on the radio here trying to get people to move to Texas and take jobs there. I can't imagine that they would be spending money trying to increase the number of unemployed in their state.
Eh? Where is 'here', who is 'they'? Your state, or Texas?

mheslep said:
So Special Ed on MSNBC is not a news program? Ok, I agree, but then what "liberal" news program do you have in mind?

straight news programs (simple reporting) versus "editorial" shows.

Andre said:
I am genuinely amazed how you can live in such a deceptive political culture.
You've been in internet forums a while now, right? Surely you noticed how often people throw reason and critical thought out the window whenever they are presented with a conclusion they find appealing.

mheslep said:
The more widely spread and ongoing baloney program with regards to Perry and Texas is the attempt to characterize the truly remarkable Texas jobs boom as a myth. If fact, http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...0710070472.html?mod=WSJ_Opinion_AboveLEFTTop"

That is false. That is not the claim; nor has Perry done anything remarkable.

Firstly, you are ignoring the fact that Texas has benefitted greatly from energy price increases. He can't claim credit for the price of crude and new natural gas technologies. He is simply a benefactor of this. He got lucky, nothing more.

Secondly, the objection is not that Texas hasn't seen a slightly better unemployment rate than the rest of the nation as a whole, though their record on growth isn't so hot, the real objection is this:

Additionally, Texas has by far the largest number of employees working at or below the federal minimum wage ($7.25 per hour in 2010) compared to any state, according to a BLS report.

In 2010, about 550,000 Texans were working at or below minimum wage, or about 9.5 percent of all workers paid by the hour in the state. Texas tied with Mississippi for the greatest percentage of minimum wage workers, while California had among the fewest (less than 2 percent).

The state with the second-highest number of minimum wage workers was New York, with 264,000 (or 6.4 percent of all hourly workers in the state).

From 2007 to 2010, the number of minimum wage workers in Texas rose from 221,000 to 550,000, an increase of nearly 150 percent.
http://www.americanindependent.com/189048/wsj-lauds-texas-economy-marked-by-jobs-including-a-lot-of-low-paying-ones

mheslep said:
Eh? Where is 'here', who is 'they'? Your state, or Texas?

Pardon. Texas is paying for radio commercials in my state (California) encouraging people to move to Texas for jobs.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Pardon. Texas is paying for radio commercials in my state (California) encouraging people to move to Texas for jobs.
Interesting. Looks like many people are taking Texas up on the offer, while other states like NY are losing labor force. The Texas labor force has exploded in the last several years. If Texas had some how stopped the influx from other states and frozen the labor force at the beginning of the recession the unemployment rate would be ~2% in Texas now given the jobs created in the same time period. I think several of Perry's policies deserve some credit especially passage of tort reform (referenced in the WSJ article), but more important is that he simply did not do anything negative like raising taxes as did Illinois.

Here's some data backing the notion of people moving to Texas for jobs. I reference this not as some endorsement of Perry, but to show the "Texas Jobs Myth" meme is misleading nonsense in the same vein as the OP's reference on the 'black cloud' distortion.

Labor force http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/dsrv?la" since beginning of recession (Dec 2007):

New York. Loss. Typical of many states like Michigan, California.
51ajcj.gif

California. Which, BTW, http://www.statemaster.com/graph/ene_pet_pro-energy-oil-production":
34gkjuq.gif

Virginia, my state, at ~3% positive growth is, I believe, 2nd highest in the country behind Texas with twice the growth.
qmygqp.gif

Texas, ~6% growth.
34fk4zn.gif

All four normalized to one in Dec 2007:
okraco.gif

So in keeping with the OP, despite this factual record there are numerous Texashttp://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/08/18/1008169/-Video-:-Rick-Perry-s-job-creation-myth-and-his-Hypocrisy", undeterred by the data, and even claims that the Texas migration is because of the weather.

TheStatutoryApe said:

Are you sure it's Texas encouraging Californians to move to Texas? This sounds like a cruel joke being played by people that hate Texas (like maybe by Coloradans). :rofl:

At least Texas is bigger than Colorado. The I-25 corridor becomes more "Californian" every year - worse yet, Texas ranks right behind California as the source of most immigrants to Colorado. (http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_15330995)

(Not that I have a right to complain, seeing as how I'm a Colorado immigrant myself, from Kansas via Ohio via Nebraska.)

It is not just oil.

About the Texas-Mexico Automotive SuperCluster Region (TMASC)

TMASC is a collaborative strategy aimed at developing and diversifying the automotive industry throughout the Texas-Northeastern Mexico five-state region to generate long-term economic benefits. Major components of TMASC include: foreign direct investment, business retention and expansion, research and development, and workforce development.

A result of TIP Strategies’ Texas/Northeastern Mexico Vehicle Manufacturing Industry study, TMASC was created to leverage the changing geography of automotive assembly and automotive markets in North America, as well as build upon the region’s existing global brands and innovative assets.

Already well-positioned, the region hosts nine global vehicle manufacturers and over 200 Tier 1 original equipment suppliers who employ 133,000 workers and occupy almost 37 million square feet of facilities. To complement production strength, the region provides companies with a strategic logistics infrastructure to move Asian and Latin American goods into production facilities and to move finished goods into central, central eastern and Atlantic markets.

http://txmxautomotive.com/

Is anyone else starting to think Texas might be the new California? Maybe we should compare Perry's Texas (under Obama) to Reagan's California (under Carter)?

WhoWee said:
Is anyone else starting to think Texas might be the new California? Maybe we should compare Perry's Texas (under Obama) to Reagan's California (under Carter)?

lots of illegal immigrants?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/hi/guides/456900/456958/html/nn3page1.stm

so is all this low-wage job growth driven by illegal immigration?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...economic-boom/2011/08/19/gIQASvBFQJ_blog.html

it's no wonder you can't get the feds to control it. they're corrupt.

1. What is the definition of political culture?

Political culture refers to the set of beliefs, values, and practices that shape a society's political system. It includes attitudes towards government, democracy, and political participation.

2. How does Perry's concept of framing relate to political culture?

Perry's concept of framing refers to the way in which individuals and groups interpret and make sense of political events and issues. In the context of political culture, framing can influence how individuals perceive and understand their society's political system.

3. Can political culture change over time?

Yes, political culture can change as a society evolves and experiences new challenges. Factors such as economic and social shifts, as well as political events, can shape and alter a society's political culture.

4. How does political culture differ across countries?

Political culture can vary significantly across countries due to historical, cultural, and social factors. For example, individualistic cultures may prioritize individual rights and freedoms, while collectivist cultures may prioritize the needs of the community over individual interests.

5. What role does political culture play in shaping government policies?

Political culture can influence the policies and decisions of a government by setting the norms and values that guide their actions. For example, a society with a strong belief in individualism may prioritize limited government intervention, while a society with a collectivist culture may support more government involvement in social and economic issues.