How to correctly redraw a circuit?

• Engineering
  • Thread starter JasonHathaway
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the conversation involved a discussion about redrawing a circuit and determining whether diodes are forward or reverse biased. It was mentioned that the original schematic was the clearest and that analyzing circuits with diodes involves a trial-and-error technique. The question of whether the diodes are biased or not was also addressed.
JasonHathaway

Homework Statement

Redraw the following circuit:

Untitled1.png

Homework Equations

Identifying nodes and drawing skills maybe :S

The Attempt at a Solution

UNTITLED_2.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Redraw the circuit as what?
Why can't all the 5V blobs get joined together so you only need one battery?
Shouldn't the back-end of each diode be earthed?
What was your question?

Your attempt looks good. But you can simplify this circuit further. Notice that all voltage source are 5V.
So you can use one 5V voltage source on your diagram.

Simon Bridge:

I don't know whether I should ground the diodes or not. Anyway, the original question was: "Determine whether the diodes are forward biased or reverse biased if: 1) V1=V2=5V 2) V1=5V, V2=0V 3) V1=V2=0V "

Jony130:

I missed that, the all three sources are in parallel, can I put one source in place of V1?

I don't know whether I should ground the diodes or not.
You ground the diode if one end of the diode is connected to a "ground" symbol on the diagram - go look!

This is an exercise in reading a circuit diagram.
If you are having trouble telling if two components are connected or not, run your finger along a "wire" line.

... all three sources are in parallel, can I put one source in place of V1?
V1 is already one source.
The 3 sources you drew in your modified diagram are not in parallel with each other - they have other components with them. Go back to the original diagram. You can draw a line connecting all parts of the diagram that are held at the same voltage ... try it for all the +5V dots. That line has to be held at +5V - how do you do that?

Anyway, the original question was: "Determine whether the diodes are forward biased or reverse biased if: 1) V1=V2=5V 2) V1=5V, V2=0V 3) V1=V2=0V "
Then why are you bothering with redrawing the diagram?

What does it mean to forward or reverse bias a diode?

Okaaay. I understand now, looks like I have to basics at all. :S

Simon Bridge said:
Then why are you bothering with redrawing the diagram?

What does it mean to forward or reverse bias a diode?

I want to evaluate Vo in case V1=V2=0.

Forward bias means there's a current flowing and reverse bias means there isn't any current.

JasonHathaway said:
I want to evaluate Vo in case V1=V2=0.
You do not need to redraw the diagram to do that.

Forward bias means there's a current flowing and reverse bias means there isn't any current.
No. Diodes may conduct when reverse biased. Some, like Zener diodes, do this at low voltages.

Treat the symbol for a diode as an arrow.
Compare the voltages on each side of the diode symbol.
Current flows from higher voltage to lower voltage.
If the current is in the same direction as the arrow, then the diode is "forward biased".

JasonHathaway said:
I don't know whether I should ground the diodes or not. Anyway, the original question was: "Determine whether the diodes are forward biased or reverse biased if: 1) V1=V2=5V 2) V1=5V, V2=0V 3) V1=V2=0V "
The original schematic is the clearest, stay with it :wink:

Vo appears to be the diodes' anode voltage. That is a poorly-drawn arrow, not a connection to ground! Erase the arrow, and focus on that schematic.

The approach to analyzing circuits with diodes is to, in turn, imgine this diode is conducting in this direction...That means current must be flowing along this path, and the voltages along this branch will be .. Do these voltage levels confirm the initial assumption that the diode is conducting? Yes/no. If not, then the assumption that that diode is conducting must be wrong.

For circuits with multiple diodes, it's a trial-and-error technique until you become adept at it.

Ok, I just to make sure of something. When V1=V2=5V, the two diodes are reverse biased, then Vo would be 5V, isn't?

JasonHathaway said:
Ok, I just to make sure of something. When V1=V2=5V, the two diodes are reverse biased, then Vo would be 5V, isn't?
You're renaming the voltage sources now, are you? :confused:

Anyway, if all 3 voltage sources are +5V then the output will be +5V. But in this state the diodes won't be reverse-biased; neither will they be forward-biased. With identical potential on each side, a diode won't be biased at all! It won't be conducting current, either, because across the diode there is no voltage difference to push current along.

I'm assuming that black line at Vo does not denote a connection to ground

Question 1:

How do I identify the components in a circuit?

To correctly redraw a circuit, it is important to first identify all the components present in the original circuit. Some common components include resistors, capacitors, inductors, and transistors. These components can usually be identified by their unique symbols on the circuit diagram.

Question 2:

What is the correct way to label a circuit diagram?

When redrawing a circuit, it is crucial to properly label all the components and connections. The labeling should match the original circuit diagram and include values for resistors and capacitors, as well as the direction of current flow. This will ensure accuracy and ease of understanding for others.

Question 3:

How can I simplify a complex circuit diagram?

Sometimes, circuit diagrams can be complicated and difficult to understand. To correctly redraw a circuit, you can simplify the diagram by breaking it down into smaller sections and focusing on one section at a time. You can also use color-coding or grouping similar components together to make the diagram more organized and easier to follow.

Question 4:

What are the key steps to correctly redraw a circuit?

To correctly redraw a circuit, follow these key steps: 1) Identify and label all components in the original circuit diagram. 2) Simplify the diagram if needed. 3) Draw the new circuit using the proper symbols and connections. 4) Double-check for accuracy and make any necessary adjustments. 5) Add labels and values to the new circuit diagram.

Question 5:

How can I avoid mistakes when redrawing a circuit?

To avoid mistakes when redrawing a circuit, it is important to double-check all connections and values, as well as compare your new circuit diagram to the original for accuracy. Additionally, it is helpful to have a solid understanding of circuit components and their functions. You can also seek feedback from others or use software programs to assist with the process.