Forces involved in a 'tug of war'

• Thread starter bobie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary: I'm not sure what you are asking. Do you mean if he does not stretch his legs he cannot exert a force on the ground?In summary, the man can't exert a force on the ground due to friction.
bobie
Gold Member
Can someone give a detailed phusical description description of the forces involved in this game?
Let consider only the first player on the right:

3grh9.jpg

0) does it make any difference if he is pulling aagainst an opposing varying force or he is pulling a truck?
---
1) does friction play any role here? if his heels are dug in a hole or lean on a reversed starting block, does it make any difference?
2) his legs are fully stretched. Can he exert a force directly on the ground?
3) can he exert a greater force either on the rope or on the ground
4) if yes, how
5) if no, is it due to Newton third law? suppose his legs are stretched and the ground is just a point of support: when he pulls the rope is half force discharged on the ground?
6) if he wants the rope to accelerate in his direction is it necessary that the two forces be unequa? Is it true that if they are equal the total force on the player will vanish?

6) in conclusion, after all your evaluations which force is more important for victory, the one on the rope or the one ond the ground

Thanks in advance, it would be great to have a sketch of the forces in play showing how forces are discharged to the ground.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What are your own thoughts on the questions?

Likes 1 person
A.T. said:
What are your own thoughts on the questions?
I think
- the friction plays no role if foot is dug in. I am posting because I read that even if it is in a hole or on a staring block it is relevant.
- with stretched legs you cannot push directly on the ground. If you push the force can never be greater then the pull on the rope.
- wherevere you exert a force, as you must prop up on the opposite side, you discharge half of the force on the other side by 3rd law. But also in this regard I read that if the force on the ground and the rope are equal there can be no acceleration, motion of the rope toward you

Thanks for your attention

bobie said:
I think
- the friction plays no role if foot is dug in. I am posting because I read that even if it is in a hole or on a staring block it is relevant.
What if the hole is shallow, so the effective surface you push against is not perpendicular to gravity + rope force?

bobie said:
with stretched legs you cannot push directly on the ground.
But the question was if he "exerts a force on the ground". If he didn't what would be the horizontal net force on him and thus his acceleration?

bobie said:
If you push the force can never be greater then the pull on the rope.
Are you talking about total magnitudes, or just the horizontal components? Can you win the game if the horizontal components are always equal.

bobie said:
- wherevere you exert a force, as you must prop up on the opposite side, you discharge half of the force on the other side by 3rd law.
Where does 3rd law talk about "half of the force"?

bobie said:
But also in this regard I read that if the force on the ground and the rope are equal there can be no acceleration, motion of the rope toward you
What does 2nd law say about this?

A.T. said:
What if the hole is shallow, so the effective surface you push against is not perpendicular to gravity + rope force?
But the question was if he "exerts a force on the ground". If he didn't what would be the horizontal net force on him and thus his acceleration?
Are you talking about total magnitudes, or just the horizontal components? Can you win the game if the horizontal components are always equal.
Where does 3rd law talk about "half of the force"?
What does 2nd law say about this?

Thanks for asking me so many questions, but what are your answers?

What has gravity got to do here? why has the hole to be deep or perpendicular , ( what matter is if it blocks your foot)? how do you exert directly a force on the ground if you do not stretch your legs (the force on the ground is exerted mainly by the opponent)? and what about 2nd law here? how do you get an acceleration if not pulling on the rope? if you do not answer the 0 question I do not have a clear picture.

Last edited:
bobie said:
What has gravity got to do here?
Why don’t you sketch all the forces acting on the man?

bobie said:
why has the hole or the starting block to be perpendicular?
Who said it has to be perpendicular? The question was when friction becomes necessary. To see this draw a diagram with all the forces and the ground contact surface.

bobie said:
how do you exert directly a force on the ground if you do not stretch your legs?
When you just stand around with already stretched out legs, do you exert a force on the ground?

bobie said:
and what about 2nd law?
Can the rope accelerate if it has equal but opposite force on both ends?

Likes 1 person
A.T. said:
Why don’t you sketch all the forces acting on the man?
Who said it has to be perpendicular? The question was when friction becomes necessary. To see this draw a diagram with all the forces and the ground contact surface.
When you just stand around with already stretched out legs, do you exert a force on the ground?
Can the rope accelerate if it has equal but opposite force on both ends?

I am not able to draw and post a sketch, that is why I asked for it in OP.

You are confusing me even more. Force on the ground must be exerted horizontally to win the game, what is the use of g?
I begged you twice, start with the truck, which is simple: to pull a truck you pull horizontally on the rope and prop up your feet to an obstacle in/on the ground. Do you exert a force directly on the obstacle or just as a consequence of the pull on the rope? suppose you use 100 N, how much of this is discharged on the obstacle, if not 50%? what determines this percentage?
If you discharge 50% of the force , 50 N, on the ground you have two equal forces, but no work is done on the ground so you can have an acceleration on the rope, what is the problem?

bobie said:
Force on the ground must be exerted horizontally to win the game,
Can the force on the ground be purely horizontal under gravity?

bobie said:
start with the truck, which is simple:
It's not that simple to beat a truck that uses it's engine. With engine off the truck can at best get a tie.

A.T. said:
It's not that simple to beat a truck that uses it's engine. With engine off the truck can at best get a tie.
I mentioned no engine. But I suppose you can't tell more on the subject.

bobie said:
I mentioned no engine.
Then it depends on how deep the truck will sink into the mud. On asphalt even a single human can pull a truck, with decoupled wheels and brakes off.

@bobie
I agree with AT. You need to draw a very simplified model - two guys and a rope - and draw in the forces. In the equilibrium situation, clearly, both guys must be pulling with the same force (= tension in rope). If one guy is stronger or the other guy has less traction, there will be no longer be equilibrium.
As OP, it is really up to you to draw the diagram and present it, otherwise we do not know what we are supposed to be discussing. There are dozens os drawing utilities available and, if you 'Go Advanced', you can find how to upload a file - there is a big choice of formats that are accepted.

Likes 1 person
Thanks sophiecentaur, my main concern is not the equilibrium of forces, that is why I insisted on the truch, which does not pull.
My question cannot be answered by a drawing, but only by one expert physicist like you. I want to know how much of the force I exert goes really to the truck and how much is lost, doing no work on the ground, and if this percentage can be altered and why.
Is it clear now?

I'll appreciate even a brief reply with just the percentages. My assumption 50-50% has been rejected.

bobie said:
Thanks sophiecentaur, my main concern is not the equilibrium of forces, that is why I insisted on the truch, which does not pull.
My question cannot be answered by a drawing, but only by one expert physicist like you. I want to know how much of the force I exert goes really to the truck and how much is lost, doing no work on the ground, and if this percentage can be altered and why.
Is it clear now?

I'll appreciate even a brief reply with just the percentages. My assumption 50-50% has been rejected.

There a some basics that you must accept first. You can only find an answer if you examine what forces are operating. I could not hope to start on such a problem without drawing a diagram. Unless you do, you risk missing out something relevant.
A force is not "lost". No work is done on anything unless there is movement involved. Man pulls truck truck provides exactly the same amount of force on rope. There's no "50%/50% involved (as a diagram would show, aamof). The forces around the man are a bit more complex because he is leaning backwards. There is his weight, friction and the rope tension. (Diagram again) all acting at different places and establishing equilibrium (unless he moves the truck).
You just can't do this one by waving arms around (any more than the guy with the rope. :wink:)

Thanks for your help, probably this is to complicated for me.

bobie said:
Thanks for your help, probably this is to complicated for me.

Assuming no hand slippage, the tension in the rope is the same pulling on each team. Although there are complexities involved, friction/traction of feet on ground is key. If one team is on ice and the other on soil, I bet you know who wins.

The diagram I had in mind is below (jeez, I'm good to you, aren't I?)This is the essence of the one man pulling a rope attached to 'something' and I am assuming that things are in equilibrium, for a start. It assumes the man is strong enough to provide the tension and the leg thrust and that the friction with the ground is enough to hold him. To work out the tension, you need to consider the Moments about a point (choose his contact point with the ground). The moment of the tension will be equal and opposite to the moment of his weight. He will need to be at the correct angle to the ground for this. The calculation involves some Trig - but I have left it out, initially.
There are just two horizontal forces here, so T will equal R.

If he is 'winning' then T will be enough to drag the truck and he will need to be walking backwards, so he does T times x work, where x is the distance moved. I assume the truck is moving very slowly and not accelerating appreciably. All the work done is against friction. If he is actually managing to produce significant acceleration then you would need to include the kinetic energy situation too.

If T increases then he needs to lean back more and the friction needs to be high enough or he will fall on his backside or start 'surfing' through the mud (if he can control it).

PS Powerpoint is easy to use to produce this simple diagram -once you get used to it.

Attachments

• Slide1.jpg
    Slide1.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 6,751
sophiecentaur said:
PS Powerpoint is easy to use to produce this simple diagram -once you get used to it.
There are also many free online sketching tools, where you draw in the browser and get a link to your drawing for posting here on the forum.

Last edited:
sophiecentaur said:
I am assuming that things are in equilibrium, for a start.

attachment.php?attachmentid=72645&d=1409670694.jpg

How can those forces be in equilibrium, if the ground reaction acts only horizontally?

bobie said:
Is it clear now?

Forces do not work this way. You are thinking of something which is conserved and so you can say that 50% goes here and 50% goes there. Forces are not conserved. For example, on a simple lever you may exert a force of 10 N and get out a force of 100 N. Talking about "lost" or "percentage" of force just doesn't have any physical meaning. That is probably why you are not getting good answers to that part of your question.

A.T. said:
How can those forces be in equilibrium, if the ground reaction acts only horizontally?

The reaction R against the Tension is horizontal. Of course there is another vertical force to balance weight etc.
I could put more arrows in - plus angles and distances etc. But this is a very stock 'Forces' situation. Other well known ones are ladders leaning against walls and men pushing wheelbarrows. Once you've seen and done one, you've seen 'em all.

A.T. said:
There are also many free online sketching tools, where you draw in the browser and get a link to your drawing for posting here on the forum.

Drawing (object based), rather than sketching is better for a good diagram. You can edit: move and rotate objects and avoid wiggly lines and mouse / hand writing. A very little investment in getting to use a drawing package will make you happy - and everyone else on PF.

sophiecentaur said:
The reaction R against the Tension is horizontal.
R is not the reaction to tension. R is the reaction to the force that the foot applies to the ground.

sophiecentaur said:
Of course there is another vertical force to balance weight etc.
If you put the weight into the diagram, then you should also put in the vertical ground reaction force. Otherwise there can be no balance.

sophiecentaur said:
I could put more arrows
You can also draw the total ground reaction at an angle. The direction of that vector it relevant for the question regarding the need for friction:
1) does friction play any role here? if his heels are dug in a hole or lean on a reversed starting block, does it make any difference?

DaleSpam said:
Forces do not work this way. You are thinking of something which is conserved and so you can say that 50% goes here and 50% goes there. .

No, I was not thinking that. I have little experience but I was thinking of an arc, a vault. When you exert a vertical force on a bridge, an arc most of it is discharged horizontally, that is why a fortress has flying buttresses. Now, when you pull on the rope and on the truck you have to prop up to the ground, and , I thought, you must discharge some force on the ground.

Is that a wrong deduction?

Last edited:
bobie said:
Now, when you pull on the rope and on the truck you have to prop up to the ground, and , I thought, you must discharge some force on the ground.
Forces are "exerted" or "applied" not "discharged". When a book rests on the table, it can exert a force on the table indefinitely, without the need to ever "recharge", so it is misleading to talk about "discharging" forces.

If you are in balance (not accelerating) then all the forces you exert must sum to zero. So if you pull the rope with some horizontal force, you must exert an equal but opposite horizontal force on something else, like the ground.

A.T. said:
Forces are "exerted" or "applied" not "discharged".

2) if you pull the rope with some horizontal force, you must exert an equal but opposite horizontal force on something else, like the ground.

1) not discharged, what then, deviated? how do you account for the force pushing a wall laterally when a force is applied vertically to arc? where does it come from?

2) if you apply a force of 300N to the rope/train how can you apply an equal extra 300N force on the ground? wouldn't that add up to 600N?

That is exactly what I said and was rejected:
wherevere you exert a force, as you must prop up on the opposite side, you discharge half of the force on the other side
That is what I meant : 150 + 150 N, now you say 300+300N, but the principle is the same, maybe it is not due to 3rd law, but the concept is evident, undeniable anyway.

Last edited:
A.T. said:
Forces are "exerted" or "applied" not "discharged".
bobie said:
1) not discharged, what then, deviated?
Read again. I told you two common terms.

A.T. said:
if you pull the rope with some horizontal force, you must exert an equal but opposite horizontal force on something else, like the ground.
bobie said:
2) if you apply a force of 300N to the rope/train how can you apply an equal extra 300N force on the ground? wouldn't that add up to 600N?
Read again. it says "equal but opposite", not "equal". Two equal but opposite forces add up to zero.

A.T. said:
Read again. I told you two common terms.
Read again. it says "equal but opposite", not "equal". Two equal but opposite forces add up to zero.

You said 'exerted' 'applied', but on an arc the applied/exerted force is vertical, how much of it goes horizontal ? and are you saying this is the applied force? that you applied force laterally?

2) the point is that here the sum is not 0: you have a net force of 300 N applied to the truck whose reaction is -300N, then it the truck does not budge you have the equilibrium.
But you said literally
"So if you pull the rope with some horizontal force, you must exert an equal but opposite horizontal force on something else, like the ground."
if those forces add up to zero you are not exerting any force on the truck.
Moreover if you are standing at 45% you are not exerting the force horizontally on the ground but at 45° and the horizontal component is 300* cos λ =210 N, right?

bobie said:
No, I was not thinking that. I have little experience but I was thinking of an arc, a vault. When you exert a vertical force on a bridge, an arc most of it is discharged horizontally, that is why a fortress has flying buttresses...

The arc or buttress changes the angle the force makes with the ground BUT it also increases the total forces on the ground.

The vertical component of the force on the ground ends up unchanged. It has to be because if the bridge isn't [STRIKE]moving [/STRIKE] accelerating vertically the vertical forces on it must still sum to zero.

Attachments

• Bridge.png
    Bridge.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:
bobie said:
Moreover if you are standing at 45% you are not exerting the force horizontally on the ground but at 45° and the horizontal component is 300* cos λ =210 N, right?

I think you have that the wrong way around.

If you aren't [STRIKE]moving[/STRIKE] accelerating the horizontal component of the force you exert on the ground must be equal to the tension in the rope eg 300N. So the total force your legs must exert at 45 degrees must be higher..

Compression Force in legs * cos(45) = 300

Compression Force in legs = 300/cos(45) = 424N

If you don't apply 424N at 45 degrees the horizontal component can't be 300N and you will be [STRIKE]moving [/STRIKE]accelerating one way or the other.

Last edited:
bobie said:
but on an arc the applied/exerted force is vertical, how much of it goes horizontal ? and are you saying this is the applied force? that you applied force laterally?
What CWatters said.

bobie said:
you have a net force of 300 N applied to the truck whose reaction is -300N, then it the truck does not budge you have the equilibrium.
No, because those two forces act on different objects. It makes no sense to add them up. See:
https://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/physics/horsecart.htm

bobie said:
if those forces add up to zero you are not exerting any force on the truck.
No. If the forces on you add up to zero then you are not accelerating. You still exert a force on the rope/truck.

bobie said:
If the force of the rope on you is 300N and you are not accelerating, then the horizontal ground reaction component on you is -300N. They add up to zero.

CWatters said:
If you aren't moving the horizontal component of the force you exert on the ground must be equal to the tension in the rope eg 300N.
This should be "accelerating" not "moving". You can be moving at constant speed with balanced forces. But otherwise CWatters explained it well.

A.T. said:
This should be "accelerating" not "moving". You can be moving at constant speed with balanced forces. But otherwise CWatters explained it well.

Thanks. Was just in the process of changing that.

Perhaps a diagram..

Attachments

• Truck pull.png
    Truck pull.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 425
Likes 1 person
CWatters said:
Perhaps a diagram..
That diagram is precious, can you add gravity (man's weight 100Kg) and insert it in your post so that I can copy, using the quote button. Or , is g already included in the diagram and that's why we get 424N?

Thanks a lot, CWatters

Last edited:
CWatters said:
The arc or buttress changes the angle the force makes with the ground BUT it also increases the total forces on the ground.

The vertical component of the force on the ground ends up unchanged. It has to be because if the bridge isn't [STRIKE]moving [/STRIKE] accelerating vertically the vertical forces on it must still sum to zero.

If I got it right you are saying that if I apply a downward force of 300N on the arc, all of 300N end up on the ground, but some force is exerted on the walls horizontally, suppose the arc is a perfect semicircle, what is the intensity of this lateral force, and where does it come from? can the result of a force be grater than 100%?