Weinberg Vol 1: Understanding Index Arrangement in (2.4.8) LT Transformations

• Thread starter shehry1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weinberg
In summary, the conversation discusses the arrangement of indices in equations (2.4.7) and (2.4.8), specifically why \mu is the first index (lower) and \rho is the second (upper). The conversation also explores the use of matrices \Lambda, \Lambda^T, \eta, \eta^{-1}, \omega and their components, and how \eta^{-1} and \eta are used to raise and lower indices. The conversation concludes by discussing how one becomes more natural with the notation after posting many messages, and the preference for index-free notation.
shehry1
Can anyone explain to me why in going from (2.4.7) to (2.4.8) the indices on the LT are arranged in the way they are. Why is mu the first index (lower) and rho the second (upper)?

Could they have been arranged in any other way? From the rules that I know, they can.

Physics news on Phys.org
Recall that the components on row [itex]\mu[/itex], column [itex]\nu[/itex] of the matrices

[tex]\Lambda, \Lambda^T, \eta, \eta^{-1}, \omega[/tex]

are written as

[tex]\Lambda^\mu{}_\nu, \Lambda^\nu{}_\mu, \eta_{\mu\nu}, \eta^{\mu\nu}, \omega^\mu{}_\nu[/tex]

and that [itex]\eta^{-1}[/itex] and [itex]\eta[/itex] and used to raise and lower indices. The components of [itex]\Lambda^{-1}[/itex] are

[tex](\Lambda^{-1})^\mu{}_\nu=(\eta^{-1}\Lambda^T\eta)^\mu{}_\nu=\eta^{\mu\rho}\Lambda^\sigma{}_\rho\eta_{\sigma\nu}=\Lambda_\nu{}^\mu[/tex].

Let's use all of the above to evaluate the first term on the right-hand side of (2.4.7).

[tex](\Lambda\omega\Lambda^{-1})_{\mu\nu}=\eta_{\mu\rho}(\Lambda\omega\Lambda^{-1})^\rho{}_\nu =\eta_{\mu\rho}\Lambda^\rho{}_\sigma\omega^\sigma{}_\lambda(\Lambda^{-1})^\lambda{}_\nu =\Lambda_{\mu\sigma}\omega^\sigma{}_\lambda\Lambda_\nu{}^\lambda=\Lambda_{\mu\rho}\delta^\rho_\kappa\omega^\kappa{}_\lambda\Lambda_\nu{}^\lambda[/tex]

[tex]=\Lambda_{\mu\rho}\eta^{\rho\tau}\eta_{\tau\kappa}\omega^\kappa{}_\lambda\Lambda_\nu{}^\lambda =\Lambda_\mu{}^\tau\omega_{\tau\lambda}\Lambda_\nu{}^\lambda[/tex]

Thanks a lot. Now I have just two short questions:

(1) In the last expression with the string of equalities, could you have expanded the bracket differently. Meaning that instead of [tex] \eta_{\mu\rho}\Lambda^\rho{}_\sigma\omega^\sigma{ }_\lambda(\Lambda^{-1})^\lambda{}_\nu [/tex] , would it had been correct to put that rho on the Lambda inverse and the nu on the Lambda? I tried it and it didn't turn out correct.

(2) After posting nearly 2300 messages, does one become more natural at the notation (like adding or subtracting integers) or do you still have to think about all the indices. :)

shehry1 said:
(1) In the last expression with the string of equalities, could you have expanded the bracket differently. Meaning that instead of [tex] \eta_{\mu\rho}\Lambda^\rho{}_\sigma\omega^\sigma{ }_\lambda(\Lambda^{-1})^\lambda{}_\nu [/tex] , would it had been correct to put that rho on the Lambda inverse and the nu on the Lambda? I tried it and it didn't turn out correct.
That doesn't work. Note that the only thing I'm using in this step is the definition of matrix multiplication:

[tex](\Lambda\omega\Lambda^{-1})^\rho{}_\nu =\Lambda^\rho{}_\sigma\omega^\sigma{ }_\lambda(\Lambda^{-1})^\lambda{}_\nu[/tex]

shehry1 said:
(2) After posting nearly 2300 messages, does one become more natural at the notation (like adding or subtracting integers) or do you still have to think about all the indices. :)
I still have to think about it. Probably took half an hour to remind myself about the things I needed to know before the actual calculation seemed trivial. Once I had written down the first equality in the last two lines (and knew why I was doing it), the rest was like adding integers. I try to avoid this notation when I can. I prefer an index free notation (e.g. [itex]\mbox{Tr}(AB)[/itex] instead of [itex]A^i{}_j B^j{}_i[/itex]), and my second choice is to write all the indices downstairs (Example).

1. What is the "Weinberg Vol 1" book about?

The "Weinberg Vol 1" book is a comprehensive guide to understanding index arrangement in (2.4.8) LT transformations. It covers the mathematical concepts and principles behind these transformations and their practical applications in physics and other fields of science.

2. What is the significance of index arrangement in (2.4.8) LT transformations?

The index arrangement in (2.4.8) LT transformations is crucial in understanding and solving complex mathematical problems in physics and other branches of science. It helps in simplifying equations and making them more manageable, leading to more accurate and efficient solutions.

3. Who is the target audience for this book?

This book is primarily targeted towards scientists, researchers, and students in the fields of physics, mathematics, and other related disciplines. However, anyone with a basic understanding of mathematics and an interest in index arrangement and LT transformations can benefit from this book.

4. What makes "Weinberg Vol 1" a valuable resource for understanding index arrangement in (2.4.8) LT transformations?

"Weinberg Vol 1" provides a thorough and comprehensive explanation of index arrangement in (2.4.8) LT transformations, with clear and concise examples and illustrations. It also includes practical applications of these transformations in various fields, making it a valuable resource for both theoretical and practical purposes.

5. Are there any prerequisites for reading this book?

A basic understanding of mathematics, including algebra and calculus, is recommended for reading "Weinberg Vol 1". Familiarity with concepts such as tensors and Lorentz transformations would also be beneficial. However, the book does provide a brief review of these topics to help readers understand the main concepts.