Mysterious Creature Sighted in North Carolina

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, Perry Sumner from the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission said that the creature is a red fox with a rare genetic condition known as Sampson, and that it is probably a jack-o-lope. The jpg in the original post still works.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Okay, this seems to be on the level so... Please forgive if I end up eating crow on this one.

...About the size of a fox, but with short brown hair and a long cat-like tail, it looked more like an animal in a National Geographic spread out of Africa than any critter native to the woods of central North Carolina.

He's seen the creature off and on since about Christmas, with it wandering up several nights in a row, then disappearing for awhile.

Though Gayle Kurdian could vouch for her husband, when Bill Kurdian talked about the animal, people scoffed that it was just a dog.

"Everybody thought I was crazy," said Kurdian, the vice president of Matlab in Asheboro.

But Kurdian, an avid outdoorsman, got proof. [continued]

http://www.news-record.com/news/local/rand/creature_060304.htm

[PLAIN]http://www.news-record.com/graphics/june/creature060304.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Holy crap, weird.

It looks like it was mutated (the fish from the Power Plant in Simpsons).

Very, very odd.

It looks like a large fox, to me. Even a hybrid of a dog-fox? As dumb as it sounds, it looks like a fox with a German Shepard's tail.

The article says it may be an exotic animal outside of North America.

:confused:

Last edited:
The face resembles a fox, but the legs are too long and the tail is wrong.

That is a strange looking critter. Could just be a really bizarre mutt of a dog (like if you mixed a chihuahua with a greyhound or something wacky like that). Or a great job with Photoshop ;-) Guess nobody will know until it's captured or someone recognizes the photo and calls in, "Hey, that's my dog!"

Tribdog? Is that you?

its obviously a jack-o-lope =)

Since Dagenais asked about this and in lieu of the animal mystery theme at hand, I thought to recycle this thread. The jpg in the original post still works.

Unfortunately the main story has gone to the archives and now requires a fee. The story orignates in North Carolina.

Last edited:
Here is the original photo
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4512/creature0603041lq.jpg

A current story
The slender creature has a kangaroo-shaped head, big upright ears, and a long ratlike tail. From a distance the animal looks hairless, but closer inspection reveals that its coat is a sleek grayish brown.

...Perry Sumner, a biologist with the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission, said it's likely a red fox with a rare genetic condition known as Sampson, an abnormality in which the animal lacks a layer of fur called guard hair. [continued]
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/03/0321_060321_tyco_fox.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the update. At least that's a clearer picture they posted now. The ears certainly look fox-like, but without the poofy fur, it's just so hard to tell by looks alone.

Mama? Is that you?

Attachments

• foxy1.JPG
    foxy1.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 381
hypatia said:
Mama? Is that you?
Oh how adorable! Who is it hypatia?

Moonbear said:
Thanks for the update. At least that's a clearer picture they posted now. The ears certainly look fox-like, but without the poofy fur, it's just so hard to tell by looks alone.

Just by stance and body structure I would have said a fox. I see them regularly on my bike commute to work. I usually get that broadside stance with the prick ears and high head just before they disappear.

Its my doggy ..Foxy Lady

hypatia said:
Its my doggy ..Foxy Lady
She's a cutie! :approve:

hypatia said:
Its my doggy ..Foxy Lady

Yes, very cute. That's a Pembroke Welsch Corgi is it not? I've always wanted one of those. How would you describe her personality, trainability? Any interaction with young kids?

Maybe someone captured a fox, shaved it, and then released it again.

That could be a terrific prank. Imagine when word of the "amazing new short-haired fox" hits the media!

- Warren

Oooh, I'm going to do that.

Too bad Texas made it against the law to graffiti another person's cow. I've been at a loss to know what to do.

Mk said:
Too bad Texas made it against the law to graffiti another person's cow. I've been at a loss to know what to do.

So you can graffiti your own cows then...?:uhh: :biggrin:

As for strange animals, the first time that I ever saw a nutria was at about three paces. It was standing right there, right in front of me, and I had absolutely no idea what it was. As it turned out it was a very large nutria, which added to the confusion. Later I learned that they were brought to Oregon from the SE US back in the fifties as part of a failed financial fur fling. But I had never even heard of a nutria, much less seen one.

Doc, your right she's a Corgi. And she is a working dog, and hates to have nothing to do. Luckly, I have 2 cats that she can herd around the house all day while I'm at work. But she does require at least one good walk a day.
She is good with other animals, and small children. She allows my 6 yr old grandson to do just about anything to her. Neighborhood kids come play with her too.
Corgies are not brave dogs that will rush into anything. She will inspect...make little gruff sounds..make sure the herd{cats} are safe, and will actually coax them into safty{under the bed}, then come and get me.
Shes a very sturdy dog, that travels well.

I was walking in the woods a few years back when I saw what I thought was a albino Wolverine. When I told the rangers about it, they told me Wolverines didnt live in Michigan. About 2 years latter, someone cought one about a mile away from where I saw it. Sooooo our state animal does live here..lol.

Ivan Seeking said:
. Later I learned that they were brought to Oregon from the SE US back in the fifties as part of a failed financial fur fling. But I had never even heard of a nutria, much less seen one.

When my sister-in-law was down in New Orleans doing culinary stuff at the Marriot she went to a chef's dinner where they were trying dishes using nutria. She said it was pretty good.

1. What is the mysterious creature sighted in North Carolina?

The mysterious creature sighted in North Carolina is currently unknown and has not been officially identified.

2. Where was the creature spotted in North Carolina?

The sightings of the mysterious creature in North Carolina have been reported in various locations, including forests, lakes, and even residential areas.

3. Is the creature dangerous?

There is no concrete evidence to suggest that the mysterious creature sighted in North Carolina is dangerous. However, it is always recommended to exercise caution and avoid approaching any unfamiliar or potentially dangerous wildlife.

4. Could the creature be a hoax or misidentified animal?

It is possible that some sightings of the mysterious creature in North Carolina could be a result of hoaxes or misidentified animals. Without proper evidence, it is difficult to determine the true nature of the sightings.

5. Has there been any scientific investigation into the creature sightings?

At this time, there is no scientific investigation into the mysterious creature sightings in North Carolina. However, scientists and researchers may take an interest in investigating if there is enough evidence to suggest a new or unknown species in the area.

Back