System of PDE's dealing with probability density

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of solving two simultaneous partial differential equations (PDEs) where the unknown function represents a conditional density of probability. The function is a function of three variables - x, y, and t - and is denoted as P(x,y,t). The PDEs are (1) ∂P/∂t = (σ²/2)∂²P/∂x² and (2) ∂P/∂t = (σ²/2)∂²P/∂y² with three boundary conditions: (a) P(-∞,t|y,0)=0, (b) P(x,0|y,0)=δ
fluidistic
Gold Member
Hi guys,
I must solve, I believe, 2 simultaneous PDE's where the unknown function that I must find represent a conditional density of probability. It is a function of 3 variables, namely x, y and t. So it is P(x,y,t).
P(x|y,t) means that the density of probability of a certain function (called the potential function) has the value x at time t, knowing that it had the value y at time ##t_0=0##. Personally I prefer my own notation ##P(x,t|y,0)##.
The 2 PDE's are:
(1)##\frac{\partial P}{\partial t} = \frac{\sigma ^2}{2} \frac{\partial ^2 P}{\partial x^2}##
(2)##\frac{\partial P}{\partial t}=\frac{\sigma ^2}{2} \frac{\partial ^2 P}{\partial y^2}##.
The boundary conditions are 3 apparently. Namely that -infinity is a reflection point and B is an absorbing point.
Mathematically they are ##P(-\infty, t |y,0)=0##, ##P(x,0|y,0)=\delta(x-y)## and ##P(x,t|B,0)=0## (where I'm not sure on the 3rd one, as you can see in https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=703730).

The solution is supposed to be either one of these 2 functions (there's a typo in the book and I think the second one should be the correct one but I'm not 100% sure):
[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}\sigma} \left [ \exp \{ -\frac{(x-y)^2}{2\sigma ^2 t} \} - \exp \{ - \frac{(x+y-2B)^2}{2\sigma ^2 t} \} \right ][/tex] (1st one)
[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi t}\sigma} \left [ \exp \{ -\frac{(x-y)^2}{2\sigma ^2 t} \} - \exp \{ - \frac{(x+y-2B)^2}{2\sigma ^2 t} \} \right ][/tex] (2nd one, I think it's the correct solution).

Now I want to derive the correct solution. But I'm having very hard on how to apply the boundary conditions, especially because the value for y is when t=0 while the value for x is when t=t and there's only 1 t in the equations.

My first step anyway was to sum up the 2 PDE's. I fall over the heat equation in Cartesian coordinates: ##\frac{\partial P}{\partial t} = \frac{\sigma ^2}{4} \left ( \frac{\partial ^2 P}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial ^2 P}{\partial y^2} \right )##. By looking at the solution, separation of variables doesn't look like the way to go. Also I don't know how to apply the boundary conditions... any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually none of the answers given in the book satisfy the diffusion equation...
In other words, if ##P(x,y,t)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi t}\sigma} \left [ \exp \{ -\frac{(x-y)^2}{2\sigma ^2 t} \} - \exp \{ - \frac{(x+y-2B)^2}{2\sigma ^2 t} \} \right ]##, then I have showed that ##\frac{\sigma ^2}{2} \frac{\partial P ^2}{\partial x^2} \neq \frac{\partial P}{\partial t}##. Same for the other possible solution. None work.
Any help to solve the diffusion equation with these strange boundary conditions is welcome.Edit: NEVERMIND! The 2nd answer works!
I still have to figure out how to show that the boundary conditions are satisfied, but at least the function given indeed satisfies the diffusion equation. Phew!

Last edited:
Problem solved. I've finally showed that the 2 boundary conditions as well as the initial conditions are satisfied. The book mistakenly called the 3 eq. boundary conditions though.

1. What is a system of PDE's dealing with probability density?

A system of PDE's (partial differential equations) dealing with probability density refers to a set of equations that describe the behavior of a probability density function in a physical system. These equations are used to model the evolution of the probability density over time and in response to various inputs.

2. How are PDE's used in probability density?

PDE's are used to describe how a probability density function changes over time and how it is affected by different variables such as diffusion, advection, and reaction. They allow us to predict the behavior of a system based on its initial conditions and external forces.

3. What are some common applications of systems of PDE's dealing with probability density?

Systems of PDE's dealing with probability density have many applications in fields such as physics, biology, finance, and engineering. They are used to model diffusion processes, chemical reactions, population dynamics, and financial markets, among other things.

4. Can systems of PDE's dealing with probability density be solved analytically?

In most cases, systems of PDE's dealing with probability density cannot be solved analytically. This means that there is no exact formula or solution that can be derived. Instead, numerical methods and computer simulations are used to approximate the behavior of the system.

5. What are some challenges in solving systems of PDE's dealing with probability density?

One of the main challenges in solving these systems is the complexity of the equations involved. They often contain multiple variables and non-linear terms, making it difficult to find exact solutions. Additionally, the accuracy and stability of numerical methods must be carefully considered in order to obtain reliable results.