Should we have a Philosophy of Mind forum on PF?

• Thread starter hypnagogue
  • Start date
As for the number of threads, we are always open to creating new forums if there is enough interest.In summary, there is a suggestion to create a Philosophy of Mind forum in the philosophy section, as there are currently 6 threads in the metaphysics and epistemology section that would be better suited for it. This forum would potentially be popular due to the controversial discussions on consciousness. The suggestion will be considered, but there is hesitation about further segregation in the forum. However, if there is enough interest, a new forum may be created.
hypnagogue
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'd like to revisit the suggestion of opening up a Philosophy of Mind forum in the philosophy section. I currently count 6 threads in the philosophy section (mostly in metaphysics & epistemology) that would more properly belong in a philosophy of mind forum. As it stands, if such a section were instituted and the 6 threads were moved into it, it would have more threads than a whopping 13 other subforums on PF. I would expect it to continue to be a popular forum, given the controversial nature of discussions on consciousness and the like. Is this enough yet to warrant a philosophy of mind forum?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hypnagogue, you are right that many of the threads in the Metaphysics Forum are about philosophies of the mind, however I think it fits rather well in there (I'm not a fan of much further segregation ).

Related to Should we have a Philosophy of Mind forum on PF?

1. What is the "Philosophy of Mind forum"?

The "Philosophy of Mind forum" is an online platform where individuals can discuss and debate various topics related to the philosophy of mind. It is a space for sharing ideas, asking questions, and engaging in thoughtful discussions about the nature of the mind and its relationship to the physical world.

2. Who can participate in the forum?

Anyone with an interest in the philosophy of mind can participate in the forum. This includes students, professors, researchers, and anyone else who is curious about the subject. We welcome individuals from all backgrounds and levels of knowledge to join the discussions and contribute their unique perspectives.

3. What kind of topics are discussed in the forum?

The forum covers a wide range of topics related to the philosophy of mind, including consciousness, perception, memory, emotion, free will, and more. Participants are encouraged to start new discussions and share their thoughts and ideas on any topic that falls within the scope of the forum.

4. How can I join the forum?

To join the Philosophy of Mind forum, simply click on the "Sign Up" button on the main page and create an account. Once you have an account, you can log in and start participating in the discussions. It is completely free to join and participate in the forum.

5. Are there any rules or guidelines for participating in the forum?

Yes, we ask all participants to follow our community guidelines, which include being respectful towards others, avoiding personal attacks, and staying on topic. We also encourage participants to cite sources and provide evidence for their arguments. By following these guidelines, we can maintain a healthy and productive environment for discussions.