Does $\sqrt{n!+n}-\sqrt{n!} > 1$ for Some Integer n?

• Thread starter Treadstone 71
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integer
In summary, the function has an absolute maximum (for positive integers, anyway) somewhere between n=1 and n=3 (near n=2 perhaps).
Treadstone 71
Is there an integer n such that

[tex]\sqrt{n!+n}-\sqrt{n!} > 1[/tex]

?

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried?

*Sigh* If you really have no clue at all where to begin, try approximating things.

Congregrate, consummate, conjugate, conflagrate and contemplate.

You may find that the approximation

[tex]\sqrt{n!+n} = \sqrt{n!}\sqrt{1+n/n!} = \sqrt{n!}\,\Big(1+\frac{1}{2(n-1)!}+\cdots\Big)[/tex]

is useful.

Treadstone 71 said:
Is there an integer n such that

[tex]\sqrt{n!+n}-\sqrt{n!} > 1[/tex]

?

Your function appears to have an absolute maximum (for positive integers, anyway) somewhere between n=1 and n=3 (near n=2 perhaps). The value of the function at n=2 is [tex] 2- \sqrt2 [/tex] which is about 0.585786 <1. So I would say no. Unless n is negative. I haven't a clue how to calculate it in that case.

-Dan

Yes there is indeed a max < 1, after which it tends to 0, very, very rapidly.

Too bad, I was hoping to disprove Andrica's conjecture.

The simplest way to see this, is to first multiply with the conjugate expression:
[tex]\sqrt{n!+n}-\sqrt{n!}=\frac{(\sqrt{n!+n}+\sqrt{n!})(\sqrt{n!+n}-\sqrt{n!})}{\sqrt{n!+n}+\sqrt{n!}}\leq\frac{n}{2\sqrt{n!}}[/tex]
One can easily prove the proposition from this bound:
For any n>3, we have
[tex]\frac{n+1}{2\sqrt{(n+1)!}}=\frac{n}{2\sqrt{n!}}\frac{1+\frac{1}{n}}{\sqrt{n+1}}<\frac{n}{2\sqrt{n!}}\frac{2}{2}=\frac{n}{2\sqrt{n!}}[/tex]
I.e, the sequence is decreasing.

Last edited:
arildno said:
The simplest way to see this, is to first multiply with the conjugate expression:
[tex]\sqrt{n!+n}-\sqrt{n!}=\frac{(\sqrt{n!+n}+\sqrt{n!})(\sqrt{n!+n}-\sqrt{n!})}{\sqrt{n!+n}+\sqrt{n!}}\leq\frac{n}{2\sqrt{n!}}[/tex]
One can easily prove the proposition from this bound:
For any n>3, we have
[tex]\frac{n+1}{2\sqrt{(n+1)!}}=\frac{n}{2\sqrt{n!}}\frac{1+\frac{1}{n}}{\sqrt{n+1}}<\frac{n}{2\sqrt{n!}}\frac{2}{2}=\frac{n}{2\sqrt{n!}}[/tex]
I.e, the sequence is decreasing.
I am not very sure that I understand your post correctly, but do you mean:
[tex]\sqrt{(n + 1)! + (n + 1)} - \sqrt{(n + 1)!} \leq \frac{n + 1}{2 \sqrt{(n + 1)!}} < \frac{n}{2 \sqrt{n!}} \geq \sqrt{n!+n}-\sqrt{n!}[/tex]. And you conclude that:
[tex]\sqrt{(n + 1)! + (n + 1)} - \sqrt{(n + 1)!} \leq \sqrt{n! + n} - \sqrt{n!}[/tex].
Is that reasonable?
Am I missing something?

Hmm, no.
Multiplying out the numerator, we have the identity:
[tex]\sqrt{n!+n}-\sqrt{n!}=\frac{n}{\sqrt{n!+n}+\sqrt{n!}}\leq\frac{n}{2\sqrt{n!}}[/tex]
This holds for ANY n.
Thus, if you can show that this bound is always less than 1 for any n, then it follows that your original difference expression must also be less than 1 for any n.

arildno said:
Hmm, no.
Multiplying out the numerator, we have the identity:
[tex]\sqrt{n!+n}-\sqrt{n!}=\frac{n}{\sqrt{n!+n}+\sqrt{n!}}\leq\frac{n}{2\sqrt{n!}}[/tex]
This holds for ANY n.
Thus, if you can show that this bound is always less than 1 for any n, then it follows that your original difference expression must also be less than 1 for any n.
Whoops, srry for misinterpreting your post. :redface:
Should've read it more carefully. :blushing:

1. What is the definition of the expression $\sqrt{n!+n}-\sqrt{n!}$?

The expression $\sqrt{n!+n}-\sqrt{n!}$ represents the difference between the square root of the factorial of n plus n, and the square root of the factorial of n.

2. How do you determine if $\sqrt{n!+n}-\sqrt{n!}$ is greater than 1 for some integer n?

To determine if $\sqrt{n!+n}-\sqrt{n!}$ is greater than 1 for some integer n, we can use algebraic manipulation and the properties of square roots to simplify the expression. We can then substitute different values of n to see if the resulting expression is greater than 1.

3. Is there a specific value of n where $\sqrt{n!+n}-\sqrt{n!}$ is guaranteed to be greater than 1?

No, there is no specific value of n where $\sqrt{n!+n}-\sqrt{n!}$ is guaranteed to be greater than 1. It depends on the value of n and the resulting expression after simplification.

4. What is the significance of $\sqrt{n!+n}-\sqrt{n!} > 1$ for some integer n?

The significance of $\sqrt{n!+n}-\sqrt{n!} > 1$ for some integer n is that it shows the difference between the square root of the factorial of n plus n, and the square root of the factorial of n, is greater than 1. This can have implications in mathematical proofs and calculations.

5. Are there any other expressions similar to $\sqrt{n!+n}-\sqrt{n!}$ that have been studied in mathematics?

Yes, there are many other expressions similar to $\sqrt{n!+n}-\sqrt{n!}$ that have been studied in mathematics. These include expressions involving factorials, square roots, and other mathematical operations. Some examples include $\sqrt{n!+n}-n$, $\sqrt{n!+n}-\sqrt{n+1}$, and $\sqrt{n!+n}-\sqrt{n^2+1}$.