Are both my textbooks wrong about banked tracks.

• Thread starter Damned charming :)
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Textbooks
In summary: I hope... they really mean that. They are saying that F is in the -y direction. But it's not.I think they are just wrong. That doesn't mean you can't learn something by trying to figure out what they might have meant. But it does mean you shouldn't try to learn what they are trying to teach.There is a difference there.In summary, when a car of mass m is traveling around a banked track, the friction force up the track is represented by F and the angle of the track is represented by x. The correct equations for the forces are F = mg sin(x) - mv^2/r cos(x) and N = mg cos(x) + mv^
Damned charming :)
a car of mass m is traveling around a banked track.
if F is the friction force up the track and x is the angle of the track

I say
F= mg sin(x)- mv^2/r cos(x)
N = mg cos(x) + mv^2/r sin(x)

but both my books say

N = mg cos(x) - mv^2/r sin(x)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with you.

Your books are correct. Make a drawing of the situation. The components that are perpendicular to the slope will show the perp componant of centripetal force and the perp componant of weight. The normal force will be such that the net force in this direction will be zero.

So N + (-mgcos(x)) + mv^2/rsin(x) = 0

the (-) above indicates that the perp componant of weight points opposite to N.

Chi Meson said:
Your books are correct. Make a drawing of the situation. The components that are perpendicular to the slope will show the perp componant of centripetal force and the perp componant of weight. The normal force will be such that the net force in this direction will be zero.

I really don't think so. The centripetal force is the resultant of all the actual forces that are acting: Normal, Friction, Gravity. You can treat mv^2/r as a centrifugal force and add the forces to get zero. Either way you get the same result. That attachment is short on labels, but the work is all there and I think it's obvious which force is which.

Attachments

• BankedTrack.pdf
    14.5 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
This site has a good picture and explanation. The Normal force is the resultant of the weight and acceleration forces.

http://www.siena.edu/rfinn/phys110/circular-motion.pdf#search='banked%20acceleration'

Last edited by a moderator:
Chi Meson said:

You made an error with the sign of the "centripetal force" term. If you insist on treating that as a separate force (shocking!), you'd better treat it as a centrifugal force (as Dan says), which means it has the opposite sign as the centripetal force.

Even better is just to stick to an inertial frame with "real" forces and apply Newton's 2nd law:
N -mgcos(x) = mv^2/r sin(x)

Where "v^2/r sin(x)" is just the component of the acceleration perpendicular to the surface.

Doc Al said:
You made an error with the sign of the "centripetal force" term. If you insist on treating that as a separate force (shocking!), you'd better treat it as a centrifugal force (as Dan says), which means it has the opposite sign as the centripetal force.

Even better is just to stick to an inertial frame with "real" forces and apply Newton's 2nd law:
N -mgcos(x) = mv^2/r sin(x)

Where "v^2/r sin(x)" is just the component of the acceleration perpendicular to the surface.
Oh, sloppy me.

I am unaccustomed to treating "centrifugal" as a real force. In fact I always rail against it. And the one time I try to "use" it (what am I, an engineer? Come on!) I go and draw the "centriptal" arrow. So I am in agreement with Doc Al and Dan. Mostly in that it's an annoying way to analyze this problem.

Chi Meson said:
Oh, sloppy me.

I am unaccustomed to treating "centrifugal" as a real force. In fact I always rail against it.
We agree about that. I had to force myself to do it with centrifugal force. I did it first with centripetal, and then had to do a bit of algebra to get it into the form that was given. So I figured I'd best do it the centrifugal way too.

Thanks for this guys I thought I was going mad. Fancy 2 books being wrong.

Damned charming :) said:
Thanks for this guys I thought I was going mad. Fancy 2 books being wrong.
I am not sure they are wrong. If the reference xy axes are parallel and perpendicular to the track with + being above and to the right (an odd way to look at it, but this is apparently what you have) and analysing it in the reference frame of the accelerating car and using the fictitious centrifugal force as a 'real' force, then with no banking:

[tex]N + W = 0[/tex]

where W = -mg

With 90 degree banking:

[tex]N + F_c = 0[/tex]

where [itex]F_c = - \frac{mv^2}{r}[/tex]In between:

[tex]N + W\cos{x} + F_c\sin{x} = 0[/tex]

[tex]N = -W\cos{x} - F_c\sin{x}[/tex]

[tex]N = -mg\cos{x} + \frac{mv^2}{r}\sin{x}[/tex]AM

Last edited:
Andrew Mason said:
With 90 degree banking:

[tex]N + \frac{mv^2}{r} = 0[/tex]

In between:

[tex]N + W\cos{x} + \frac{mv^2}{r}\sin{x} = 0[/tex] so:
Your "centrifugal force" terms have the wrong sign!

Doc Al said:
Your "centrifugal force" terms have the wrong sign!
I noticed that and was editing as you posted.

I should have changed it further: W = mg and g is negative.

Note that with 90 degree banking:

[tex]F_f + W = 0[/tex]

so:

[tex]F_f = -W = - F[/tex]

(that is, the friction force is in the -F direction, where F is in the direction of the positive x-axis ie up)

If we agree with the book authors that:

[tex]F = mg[/tex] then the authors are necessarily saying that g is negative.

So the textbooks are right. They are just using g as a negative.

AM

Last edited:
Andrew Mason said:
You are way too generous. If they really took g as negative then when the book says
the book said:
that translates (using the standard positive g) to be:
F= - mg sin(x)- mv^2/r cos(x)

I don't think so.

Andrew Mason said:

AM
If g is negative, then the authors are saying both F and N are also negative.
N = mg cos(x) - mv^2/r sin(x)
It seems to me the discrepency is the minus in both of these equations when one of them should be plus. Changing the sign of g does not fix that.

OlderDan said:
If g is negative, then the authors are saying both F and N are also negative.

It seems to me the discrepency is the minus in both of these equations when one of them should be plus. Changing the sign of g does not fix that.
Ok. I agree. (I have to learn not to do PF at 4:00 in the morning). The normal force never changes direction whereas the force of friction does (as x changes from 0 to 90).

I would also agree with Chi's comment that this is an awkward way to analyse it because it requires using the frame of the moving car so the frame of reference (axes) changes with the angle. If one resolves the centripetal acceleration into components along each of the axes, the component along the surface is never positive and the normal component is never negative. Gravity components are always negative. Normal force is always positive and the direction of friction can be either depending on the angle

[tex]F_f - mg\sin{\theta} = ma_x = -\frac{mv^2\cos{\theta}}{r}[/tex]

[tex]N - mg\cos{\theta} = ma_y = \frac{mv^2\sin{\theta}}{r}[/tex]

AM

I keep having the sneeking feeling that perhaps the books are right, but...

I've reanalyzed the problem from three points of view: an "equilibrium-centrifugal" reference frame, a "parallel-perpendicular" reference frame and a "horizontal-vertical" reference frame. The latter two gave me a fun little riminder of trig identities, and it was a good algebra work-out (and it was essentially in the link provided by OlderDan). Each time I ended up with OP being correct and books being incorrect.

I'm wondering now, are both books by the same author or publisher? Which books are they, and how old are they? It seems so bizarre.

Oh yeah, and... the "centrifugal" reference frame is actually the easiest method to produce a statement for finding the normal force in terms of mass, speed and angle. No wonder engineers like it.

Last edited:

What is a banked track?

A banked track is a curved track that is sloped at an angle to allow objects, such as cars or trains, to travel around the curve without needing to steer or slow down.

Why do textbooks sometimes have conflicting information about banked tracks?

Textbooks may have conflicting information about banked tracks because there are different ways to calculate and explain the physics behind them. Additionally, new research and technology may result in updated or revised information.

Are both textbooks wrong about banked tracks?

It is possible that both textbooks may have some incorrect information about banked tracks. It is always important to critically evaluate and compare information from different sources.

What are some common misconceptions about banked tracks?

One common misconception about banked tracks is that the angle of the slope is determined by the weight of the object traveling on the track. In reality, the angle is determined by the speed of the object and the radius of the curve.

How do banked tracks affect the motion of objects?

Banked tracks help to reduce the amount of friction and increase the stability of objects traveling on them. This allows the objects to maintain their speed and direction without needing to use additional energy to steer or slow down.