Why Do Levitron Spinning Tops Vary in Levitation Time?

In summary, Levitron recommends that people adjust the weight of the toy in order to make it levitate.
Chen
So has anyone got this little toy?
http://www.levitron.com/
I bought it a while ago, played with it for half an hour and gave up. It was too hard, at least for me, to get it adjusted correctly and everything. But tonight I found it again and this time it works pretty well. Still can't get it to levitate for more than 10-15 seconds, but it's something! Has anyone had more success? What are the secrets? And why do the results vary so widely between one attempt and the other, even when I don't change the settings?

Edit: Well, I just managed to make it levitate for like 40 seconds. That was neat. Now I can die peacefully.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My friend and I were talking about it and he told me that some guy in Rhode Island found a way to make two forces, with the same charge, repell each other with balance. For example, if you tried to balance a positive magnet on top of another positive one, the magnet would fall off. It would not stay balanced. But, this guy found that by spinning the magnet, it gives balance and therefore the rotation of the top balances, making it seem like it is floating. When the top doesn't have enough force to keep spinning, obviously it will tip to one side and fall

i don't know if this thread is "dead" or not. But if you're still interested, i can give you some advice. I bought one today for my friend's birthday and i played with it for a while. You need to adjust the weight so that it just manages to lift off. That's the only hard part. Once you figure out the right weight (different for different locations and temperature, i use 2.3 grams plus one rubber grommet) it's pretty easy to adjust the leveling so that it levitates. it's also important to lift it slowly. let it lift by itself.. this way i made my levitron levitate for about 5 minutes or something.. good luck

FAQ: Why Do Levitron Spinning Tops Vary in Levitation Time?

1. What is Levitron: A Challenge to Master?

Levitron: A Challenge to Master is a popular toy that consists of a spinning top that levitates above a magnetic base. It is designed to test one's skill and patience in mastering the art of levitation.

2. How does Levitron work?

The magnetic base of the Levitron toy contains a strong magnet that creates a magnetic field. The spinning top, or gyroscope, has its own magnetic field and is repelled by the magnet in the base, causing it to levitate. The top must be perfectly balanced and spinning at a high speed in order to maintain its levitation.

3. Is Levitron safe to use?

Yes, Levitron is generally considered safe to use. However, it is important to keep the small magnetic pieces away from children and pets, as they could be a choking hazard if swallowed. It is also recommended to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper use and care of the toy.

4. Can anyone master Levitron?

Levitron can be challenging to master, but with practice and patience, anyone can learn to levitate the spinning top. It requires a steady hand, precise movements, and an understanding of how the magnetic fields interact with each other. It may take some time, but with determination, anyone can become a Levitron master.

5. Are there any educational benefits to playing with Levitron?

Levitron is not only a fun and entertaining toy, but it also has educational benefits. It can help improve hand-eye coordination, fine motor skills, and spatial awareness. Additionally, learning about the principles of magnetism and gravity can be a valuable lesson for children and adults alike.