Inorganic dust with life-like qualities

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dust
In summary: Yes, it is possible that laboratory experiments could be used to explore the physical and biochemical properties of these helical structures.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
...Now, an international team has discovered that under the right conditions, particles of inorganic dust can become organised into helical structures. These structures can then interact with each other in ways that are usually associated with organic compounds and life itself.

...So, could helical clusters formed from interstellar dust be somehow alive? "These complex, self-organized plasma structures exhibit all the necessary properties to qualify them as candidates for inorganic living matter," says Tsytovich, "they are autonomous, they reproduce and they evolve". [continued]
http://www.physorg.com/news105869123.html

Biology news on Phys.org
Very cool. Will they be updating the article as more research is done?

WOW! ... wait.. ok, just checking that it's not april 1st :biggrin:

that's amazing! I would really like to read more as the research develops! (what would I search for? ... "plasma dust cluster?" ... is there a more specific name?)

if these computer models turn out to be true, this could be one of the most amazing discoveries... well, ever.— Not only life outside of Earth, but inorganic life outside of Earth floating in the middle of outer space! :eek:

has this been confirmed yet? or is it still in the speculative stage?

kind of reminds me of God from Futurama. I miss that show.

I've had a deep look through IoP and New Journal of Physics papers published in the IoP database and I cannot for the life of me find this paper.

Anyone have any ideas? :eek:

I found it! Score!

New Journal of Physics Abstract said:
Complex plasmas may naturally self-organize themselves into stable interacting helical structures that exhibit features normally attributed to organic living matter. The self-organization is based on non-trivial physical mechanisms of plasma interactions involving over-screening of plasma polarization. As a result, each helical string composed of solid microparticles is topologically and dynamically controlled by plasma fluxes leading to particle charging and over-screening, the latter providing attraction even among helical strings of the same charge sign. These interacting complex structures exhibit thermodynamic and evolutionary features thought to be peculiar only to living matter such as bifurcations that serve as 'memory marks', self-duplication, metabolic rates in a thermodynamically open system, and non-Hamiltonian dynamics. We examine the salient features of this new complex 'state of soft matter' in light of the autonomy, evolution, progenity and autopoiesis principles used to define life. It is concluded that complex self-organized plasma structures exhibit all the necessary properties to qualify them as candidates for inorganic living matter that may exist in space provided certain conditions allow them to evolve naturally.

http://www.iop.org/EJ/abstract/1367-2630/9/8/263
IoP papers are free for a month from publication, right?

It was only published yesterday, so that's why I couldn't find it!

Very interesting, do you think that this could be investigated experimentally at present?

Last edited:

1. What is inorganic dust with life-like qualities?

Inorganic dust with life-like qualities refers to a type of dust or particles that have properties similar to living organisms, such as self-replication, metabolism, and response to stimuli. However, unlike living organisms, these particles do not contain any organic matter and are purely composed of inorganic materials.

2. How is inorganic dust with life-like qualities created?

There are several methods for creating inorganic dust with life-like qualities, including chemical synthesis, physical vapor deposition, and template-assisted self-assembly. These methods involve combining inorganic materials, such as metals or metal oxides, with other substances to form the desired properties.

3. What are the potential applications of inorganic dust with life-like qualities?

Inorganic dust with life-like qualities has the potential to be used in various fields, such as medicine, environmental remediation, and nanotechnology. For example, these particles could be used as drug-delivery systems, sensors for detecting pollutants, or building blocks for creating nanodevices.

4. Is inorganic dust with life-like qualities safe for human use?

As with any new technology, the safety of inorganic dust with life-like qualities needs to be thoroughly tested and evaluated before it can be used in human applications. Currently, there is limited research on the potential health and environmental impacts of these particles, and more studies are needed to ensure their safety.

5. What are the challenges in studying inorganic dust with life-like qualities?

One of the main challenges in studying inorganic dust with life-like qualities is the complexity of these particles. They exhibit properties of both living and non-living matter, making it difficult to categorize and understand their behavior. Additionally, the creation and manipulation of these particles require advanced technology and expertise, which can be a barrier to research.