Transformation between electric and magnetic fields

In summary, the conversation discusses the duality between electric and magnetic fields and how it can be explained using relativistic physics. The presence of a magnetic field in a current-carrying wire creates an electric field when the reference frame is transformed to the rest frame of the charge. This electric field is caused by a small but non-zero charge density on the wire, which is a result of Lorentz transformations. The conversation also addresses whether this explanation holds true if the drift velocity is different from the speed of the charge, but it is not clear what is being referred to.
loom91
Hi,

The following is the standard qualitative explanation of the duality between electric field and the magnetic field given in our textbooks:

Let a long straight wire carry a constant current i. A charge kept at rest near it does not experience any force, implying the absence of electric fields. Now it is set in motion parallel to the wire. A radially outward force is needed to hold it in course, implying the presence of a magnetic field.

Now if the coordinate frame is transformed to the rest frame of the charge, the charge is static but the force stays, meaning an electric field has appeared.

What I don't understand (and the textbooks don't explain) is the source of this electric field. According to Gauss's law, only charge can create electric fields. But a current-carrying conductor is electrically neutral. Then what is the origin of this electric field? Does transformation of reference frame create charge? How?

Quantitatively, the magnetic force (and therefore the electric force) has a magnitude [tex]q v \frac {\mu i}{2 \pi r}[/tex], which implies a linear charge density of [tex]v \frac {i}{c^2}[/tex] on the wire (excuse any mistakes as I was doing the calculation in my head) which is a very small but still non-zero charge density. Where does it appear from? Does this have anything to do with Lorentz transformations?

Thanks a lot.

Molu

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks, that's a nice explanation. So the equivalence of electric and magnetic fields cannot be explained in non-relativistic physics (though non-relativistic electrodynamics is perhaps a contradiction).

Molu

Does it work if the drift velocity is different from the speed of the charge?

Paulanddiw said:
Does it work if the drift velocity is different from the speed of the charge?

Does what work?

Molu

1. How are electric and magnetic fields related?

Electric and magnetic fields are related through Maxwell's equations, which describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields. These equations state that a changing electric field will induce a magnetic field, and a changing magnetic field will induce an electric field.

2. Can an electric field be transformed into a magnetic field?

Yes, an electric field can be transformed into a magnetic field through a process called induction. This occurs when a changing electric field induces a magnetic field in a nearby conductor or material.

3. How is energy transferred between electric and magnetic fields?

Energy is transferred between electric and magnetic fields through electromagnetic waves. These waves consist of oscillating electric and magnetic fields that travel through space, carrying energy with them.

4. What is the relationship between the strength of an electric field and the strength of a magnetic field?

The strength of an electric field and the strength of a magnetic field are directly proportional. This means that as one field increases in strength, the other will also increase in strength, and vice versa.

5. Can an electric field exist without a corresponding magnetic field?

No, according to Maxwell's equations, an electric field cannot exist without a corresponding magnetic field. This is because a changing electric field will always induce a magnetic field, and vice versa.